• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory controller strain with higher OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

I have couple questions.
Increasing cpu speed or enabling HT(if previously disabled) increase strain on the memory controller inside i7 920? X58 platform.

In other words, would I need higher VTT if I turned ht on or went from 2.6 to 3.6ghz? (I know it also plays a role in QPI link speed if I overclock cpu, but let's pretend I'm well in range of having enough vtt to have a stable qpi in both scenarios.)

Thank uoy

Example: I can be at the same ram/unfore frequency at 147 and 184 bclk, but cpu speed will be very different.

147x10=1470 RAM x2 uncore
184x8=1472 RAM x2 uncore

Last edited:
I don't know that anyone can give you a definitive answer as far as what will work for stability. You'll just have to experiment and long term degradation of the memory controller can happen when that component voltage is set too high. Modest increases in voltage to the IMC seem not to impact long term health, however.

Thank you sir,
Default is 1.2v, never to exceed is 1.325v according to Intel. Perhaps running 1.275v meets modest definition? It gives me 3150mhz uncore frequency, slightly higher than 2x over ram speed.
184x20 cpu
184x8 ram
184x17 uncore

I'm just wonering if I decide to switch turbo on, making cpud multi x21 if my uncore will continue to be stable or it will require a bump in voltage due to faster CPU asking for data a little quicker

Last edited:
I found that dropping my VCCIO or VCCSA (uncore) voltage from current OC (1.200v each) makes my RAM OC unstable, as in fails memtest in under a minute. I'm still waiting to hear from someone regarding my current DDRv voltage as far as 24/7 feasibility. I'm currently basing everything on temps.

Yeah, that's what I'm usually trying first when I fiddle with uncore, see if it will even memtest for few minutes before loading into holy Grail as I've had one time too much uncore frequency and it fussed up my window before loading bar even finished....POFF!!no welcome screen!! D'oh, where's that installation disc:mad::clap:
"corrupt windows" Achievement unlocked!

Its the same difference really. Increasing cpu clocks itself wouldnt have an effect on memory as you describe it.

100 x10 or 200 x 5 is still 1000.

Thank you, ED, so in that regard it wouldn't have any difference either if I increase bclk, but decrease multis to have ram and uncore at same speed as before?

Yes, it would be slightly stronger with a higher bclk while maintaining uncore and mem speed. Feel free to give 1.4v qpi, should be good! I was comfy giving my x5690 1.39v vtt. You might even be ok with 1.4-145v vtt. You can start feeding vtt when you either your bclk starts getting up there, or your qpi/uncore speeds increase, or a combination of them all. Each cpu is different, you might not have to give it much, or you may have one that is thirsty for more powa. Either way, they are tough cpus, and you probably wont hurt it.

But it starts to turn yellow much sooner and 1.4v is like red letters. How would I sleep at night?? I'll probably dial down uncore multi if needed before I do 1.4vtt :p I can't get it to boot into bclk200, so high qpi wouldn't be an issue as I'll never get there anyways.

Edit: decided to add also, I used to be stable on [email protected] when ram and uncorked was set to lower multi. It was like 1100ram and 2400 ubcore, don't remember exactly values. Now when I have faster ram multi and uncore, I need 1.2325vcore for same could speed 3680. (Ram1472, 3150uncore)

Last edited:
Back