• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest and Microcode errors.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Found one in Israel. Cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-HYUNDAI-...611654?hash=item27f2b41106:g:GoQAAOSw7ThUh05G

Part is obsolete. Nobody makes these anymore. Limited to NOS.

Need to rifle through my stuff.
Sweet! Thanks Scott!

Rifle through your stuff when you get the chance.
If you can't find anything let me know and I'll buy that chip you linked.

Knowing the postal system, who knows if I'll actually receive that chip :-/
I don't see that you have the full path of your BIOS. E.G. A:\BIOS\<file name> You have to be exact with this. It's not like todays Windows based BIOS updates. This is old school.

Keep in mind that this is not DOS. This is the BIOS. You can't do things like "A:\" to change drive letters or "CD" to change directories or ".." to go up a directory. You have to type the full and exact path of your BIOS image. If you make a mistake, the BIOS will not help you, you'll have to take your time and type it in.

That's just the screen after I type in the proper command line command. :)
It boots up some GUI and complains about the flash not supported...

But you are correct on the proper spelling and location part. Mis-spell it and it might flash something wrong :-/

Funny, just found the same board with the F4 BIOS in Germany for $150...

I do not have a matching chip Kyle. :(

No worries Scott. Thanks for looking :)
I'll go order on of those chips tonight then!

Any tips on removing the old BIOS chip when the system is running? Tweezers or something?

Take it out when it's not running and put a piece of fishing line corner to corner in the socket with the ends hanging out the sides, then put the bios chip back in. Now you have an easy way to pop it out when it's running. Pull up on both ends of the fishing line.

Take it out when it's not running and put a piece of fishing line corner to corner in the socket with the ends hanging out the sides, then put the bios chip back in. Now you have an easy way to pop it out when it's running. Pull up on both ends of the fishing line.

Awesome thanks Scott :)

Anytime. Sorry I couldn't help you more Kyle.
You've already helped me more than I could have myself Scott. :)

Finding the replacement BIOS chip, finding a non-corrupt F4 BIOS, countless amounts of tips....

:thup: Glad you are active on these forums!

Got the new BIOS chip in just now!
Looking for fishing line then I'm booting up

20151231_164055.jpg

Found the fishing line, used my screwdriver to remove the old chip, fished the line through and (I had to practice this) gently push the old chip back into the socket, BUT not all the way seated. Pushed it in enough to make contact.

Fishing line did the trick:
20151231_173455.jpg 20151231_173553.jpg

However, I'm still getting the MICROCODE errors. :bang head
20151231_174638.jpg

I'm currently running memtest with all 4Gb of RAM installed again. We'll see if it errors out.

What do you guys think? Run prime95 all night and if it's stable just ignore it?

Wait. I don't understand. Why did you pull the old bios chip and then put it back in? How did the new bios chip figure into all this?

I'm currently running memtest with all 4Gb of RAM installed again. We'll see if it errors out.

What do you guys think? Run prime95 all night and if it's stable just ignore it?

Glad that worked out for you. :thup:

Test for stability. All night is probably not necessary. If it passes, ignore it. I've booted by worse and had no issues. Sometimes the coder's just suck at their job. :p

Wait. I don't understand. Why did you pull the old bios chip and then put it back in? How did the new bios chip figure into all this?

The new bios chip came blank. Since i only have the old bios chip and the one motherboard the only way to flash the new chip was to boot up, remove the old bios chip, insert the new bios chip, and flash it.

In order too remove the old chip though, you need to be able to remove it without shorting the board. Thats where fishing line comes in. You just remove the old chip, lay the fishing line across the underside of the old bios chip, then reinsert it back into it's slot. Then young pull up on the fishing line to remove the chip after you boot up, insert the new chip then flash it :)

Glad that worked out for you. :thup:

Test for stability. All night is probably not necessary. If it passes, ignore it. I've booted by worse and had no issues. Sometimes the coder's just suck at their job. :p

Haha sounds good then. 3 hours into memtest and no errors yet. So right now things are looking good!

That makes sense. But in the above post you said you pushed the old chip back into socket. That's what I couldn't figure out.

That makes sense. But in the above post you said you pushed the old chip back into socket. That's what I couldn't figure out.

Right. I had to remove it to get the fishing line underneath it that way i can remove the chip after i boot up without using a screwdriver to pry it out of the socket (which could cause a short) ;)

So after you boot then you can remove it, correct? By then the bios info is in memory I suppose. Did you flash it from bios or in Windows or with a DOS command?

So after you boot then you can remove it, correct? By then the bios info is in memory I suppose. Did you flash it from bios or in Windows or with a DOS command?

Yup. BIOS is only needed to boot up. Once it passes the system off to the host it just kinda sits there I guess.
There were no sparks and no magic smoke released when I popped out of the old BIOS chip.

I flashed via DOS. That GUI you see was the program's own doing. flash854.exe 6etxdr.f4 was the command. All I had to do after was hit enter twice :)

Memtest came back clean too! Now I'm running Prime95 blend with all 4Gb installed. :clap:
Next up: Fans. Need more case airflow

Also tried Gigabyte Easy Tune III... Won't even install :(

Prime stable for 10 hours folks :)
Looks like I need to finalize some things and move this server into the living room.

Thanks for all the help on this Scott and Trents! :thup:

Now here's a random question, can Coppermine or Coppermine T's run in a Tualtin board?

Back