• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini ITX Build Sanity Check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weflenmr

I'm planning to build a mini ITX gaming PC and, because this is my first PC build, want to ensure that my parts are compatible, and I'm not making any stupid mistakes (yet). Here's what I'm looking at:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 130
CPU: Intel i3-6100
Mobo: MSI Intel H110I Pro AC
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 8GB DDR4 2133
GPU: EVGA SC GTX 780 (already own)
Hard Drive: Sandisk Plus 240GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+ WHITE 500w PSU

Important notes: I already own a primary gaming PC (i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz, GTX 780, 16GB RAM) located in a room upstairs hooked up to a 1080p 144hz monitor and a 1080p TV. I'm planning to replace the GTX 780 with a GTX 1060 in that PC and use the 780 as the basis for this mini ITX build (the limited VRAM on the 780 is getting to be a problem). This mini ITX build will be used with a 720p TV (yes, 720p) in my living room. It will be used similar to a console or steam machine: exclusively for gaming with controller-friendly games like single-player shooters (e.g., Far Cry 4), 3rd-person action/adventure (e.g., MGSV, DMC), JRPGs (e.g., God Eater 2), local-multiplayer games (e.g., Overcooked, Samurai Warriors IV) - no online shooters or strategy games. Because this build is mainly for convenience, and the satisfaction of building my own PC, I want to keep it as cheap as possible without totally wasting the capabilities of the GTX 780. My preference is not to upgrade either PC for the next 2-3 years; the 720p TV (6-year-old plasma) will be upgraded to a 1080p/4K TV whenever it dies.

My main concerns are:

1. Will I have enough space for everything in my case (again, this is my first build)?
2. Is the PSU sufficient (I can get it very cheap)?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

I would move up to at least 2400 mhz RAM. I'm currently running a i3 6100 on 16gb of 2400 mhz RAM and the IMC handles it well.

If you will be gaming primarily, your would do well to move up to an i5 CPU and DDR4 3000 if your budget will permit.

Thanks for the tip! The cost difference isn't significant between 2133 and 2400 mhz RAM, so I'd be fine with making that change, but I was under the impression that I'd need to move up to more expensive mobo to support anything above 2133 - maybe I'm misunderstanding how that works though.

I kicked around the idea of moving up to an i5-6400/6500, but, if were to spend that extra money, I think I'd be more inclined to put it toward a 1070 over a 1060 for my primary PC. My impression is that the i3 will be sufficient for the vast majority of games, but I'm open to contrary viewpoints.

I would move up to at least 2400 mhz RAM. I'm currently running a i3 6100 on 16gb of 2400 mhz RAM and the IMC handles it well.

If you will be gaming primarily, your would do well to move up to an i5 CPU and DDR4 3000 if your budget will permit.

H110 is limited to 2133 my man.

Well, if the mobo is limited to 2133 then that decision is made.

Thanks for the confirmation! I'll just stick with the 2133 RAM to avoid spending more on the mobo.

Does anyone have any opinions on the PSU being ok? Cooler Master's PSU calculator says I need 430w for this build, but I know not all PSUs are created equal. Normally, I wouldn't cut it so close, but I can get that semi-modular EVGA 500w PSU for only $35.

500W will get you by, but if that EVGA is a B, I would avoid it. The XXXB powersupplies from EVGA are pretty dingy. You're better off spending a bit more to get a quality unit.
I say this as I use a 500W Corsair CX in my main rig... Do as I say not as I do ;)

That's probably good advice :). As much as I hate spending extra money on a boring PSU, I decided to bump up to a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W at the cost of another $35. I had a PSU go down in a former computer taking the HDD and GPU with it. I don't want to relive that.

All parts are now en route! Thanks to everyone for your help!

Back