• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile 2600+ Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kulki

Hi,
I desperately need some help right now. Windows XP just will not boot if I have a FSB of 180 or higher. I have a PC3200 Kingston ValueRam. I even set the multiplier to a low 6. But still it wont boot to XP. It gives me an error that system is out of virtual memory but this error goes away if I lower the FSB. However I ran memtest with FSB of 210 and CPU multiplier 12 and it ran without errors. This is making me very confused if the errror is with memory or something else. SHould I try to get better memory or is my problem somewhere else?
thanks

Okay so at 6x180 = 1080 mhz, it doesn't boot at stock voltages right?

If memtest passed at 210 - your memory is probably fine. If it's rated for ddr400 - it should be able to run 180 fsb easily.

Since you're running the cpu so slowly I don't think it has to do with a low volt core either.

Rather percular one might think. What type of power supply and motherboard do you have? This could be a AGP/PCI lock problem... but it's hard to say. System details please.

i am using NF7-s v 2.0. I updated the bios to D24_ 4247 to see if that helps. I have the Thermaltake xaser II case and it comes with a 420W PSU. the AGP is set to 66. I dont see an option of changing the PCI. Isnt the PCI locked to 33 on NF7-S? I increased the voltages and that did no good either.

Okay - your board is locked. That's not the issue.

Hmmm sounds like you have a generic power supply... could be the issue, but I don't think so.

What memory timings are you using on your ram? What sorts of temperatures are you getting? Have you double checked your heatsink is seated properly and evenly over the cpu?

I am using SLK900A and vantec stealth fan. However I am only using AS3. The temperatures a bit too high. Its goes to 45 when idle even with 180 FSB and 6 multiplier. Could it be an issue with the windows install itself?

That does seem rather high.

A few questions:

Where are you reading that temperature from? Again I ask, what are your memory timings? Have you tried removing the heatsink and reseating it? How much AS3 have you applied, it should be a paper thin layer... too much can actually hinder rather then help.

It could be a problem with the windows install, but I don't think so - if you can boot into windows and use it properly at one speed and then change the speed and it doesn't boot, it's most likely a hardware problem, not a software problem.

well I can try as you suggest and put AS3 again on the CPU and see if this lowers the temperature somewhat. Should I try to get new RAM from circuit city and see if this helps? WIll I be able to return the RAM back to Circuit City?

I bought new memory; but this did not solve my problem. I did notice something when my multiplier is set to 5 I can boot into windows even if FSB is set to 200, however I change the multiplier to 6 and I can no longer boot to windows. I increased the VCore voltage but so far no luck. Is my CPU the problem?

I think you should've started by reinstalling windows. It could be a windows problem, specially if you upgraded the board and not reinstalled windows.

Back