• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile xps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

l3ored

if you have a mobile barton 2500 oc'ed to 2.5ghz, what athlon 64 processor can it be compared with for gaming performance? ignore pr ratings because we all know a xp3200 isnt as fast as a 64 3200....

Last edited:
As of right now, I keepreading that A64's are on par with the high end Bartons only because there isn't a program released that optimises the 64 bit architecture other then the Win64 that is deep into beta right now (I Think). So real time performances are pretty darned close right now between the A64 and the Barton. My XP-M 2500+ is clocked at 2400mhz right now on 1.65vcore and she screams on everything.

That's not even true; my Mobile XP @ 2.4 Ghz benches just as well (if not slightly better) than the A64 3000+; I get 20k + 3D Marks @ 2.4 and 21k @ 2.5. The big difference is my FSB, which I can get up to 255 with my setup. A cpu at 12x200 will bench lower than one at 10x240 because one has exceptional bandwidth as compared to the other. Remember that raw mhz isn't always everything. :O

think again, that would be a fsb of 480, while an athlon 64 has 800, they also have twice the cache and are simple better

l3ored said:
think again, that would be a fsb of 480, while an athlon 64 has 800, they also have twice the cache and are simple better
The athlon 64 technically doesnt have a FSB as such. Anyway I would also agree an overclocked 2.4Ghz barton is probably the same as a 3000+ 64 bit overall (some benches higher some lower)
BTW the 3000+ has only 512KB of L2 cache same as the Barton

2.2 GHz Athlon 64 is like 2.8-2.9 Athlon XP.

OC D, to overclock the 64s, you still need quality RAM to hit high resulting MHz speds right?, since the multiplier can't be increased?

P.S. Are you getting an upgrade by the way, if so which one & when?
Gautam can't wait for the nForce3 250s and says he's getting a K8N Pro here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=284823

With 1MB of L2 cache it might be around that mark (2.2Ghz A64 v 2.8Ghz Barton) especially in gaming. If you check out the link provided for comparing the barton at 2.4Ghz against the 512KB L2 cache A64 XP3000+ overall they win a similar amount against each other. Naturally very good ram is required such as Kingston HyperX - for me I am going to wait till the 939's come out and will probably upgrade hopefully around September time. (Despite them being assembled here we get the latest cpus about 2 months after you guys).

What's your Sep 2004 budget for CPU only?

The correct term for OCing an 64 would be upping the memory bus instead of Front Side Bus, that's what you're saying then.

Give me a number of what 512 KB 2800+ 64 overclocked to 2.0 GHz = to in XP terms then?

I would say in games the amd mobile at 14x200 = 2800 would be the same as a amd64 3000 in games. In apps the amd 64 3000 and mobile 12x200 = 2400 would be tie win lose depending on the app

i was thinking about selling my A64 3000/mobo and buying a mobile 2500 and watercooling setup, because i wanted to get into overclocking (cant with an a64) and it would be about the same price/performance, but i could use the watercooling stuff for years after the processor is obsolete. i've changed my mind though, its not worth the hassle so for now, ill stick with having an overclocked video card.

There was a thread, but I can't find it. IT WAS ALMOST AS FAST AS A FX-53!!!!!!11 And I am not kidding. I can't find the thread, but there were benchmarks, and a watercooled mobile barton @ 2.5Ghz was only a couple of percents slower than a stock speed FX-53! This is why everyone likes mobile bartons so much! :D

Back