• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mod a Case With Me......... LOTS OF PICS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wel I need to get a hold of philip and get a bunch of parts from him. He has cables, fans and lights to sell to me. I just got laid off from my Job today. (dont worry already have a new job lined up) and my job gave me a good sized severence cheque. So I want to get in touch with him to get the new stuff asap.

I just got laid off from my Job today. (dont worry already have a new job lined up)

That still sucks though :(

Nice case, I like the color that you chose for it... how much did it cost for all the paint to cover it?

BTW, how many cats do you have???? I only have 3 :D and one dog and a snake

mtb856 said:
That still sucks though :(

Nice case, I like the color that you chose for it... how much did it cost for all the paint to cover it?

BTW, how many cats do you have???? I only have 3 :D and one dog and a snake

I used Dupont Metal Cast Red, about 6$ per can and I used 4 cans of it, plus 2 cans of High Build Primer @ 5$ per can.

We have 6 cats, and a 135lb German Shepard, Black Lab Cross named Duke.

Managed to do a little bit mroe today.

I just placed an order at the local computer shop, to ship me out 85$ worth of fans, grills, round IDE cables and other stuff.

I still have not gotten the plexiglass yet so the window is still on hold. I am going to try and make it out to pick that stuff up today or tommorow.

Well here is todays stuff. Sorry my camera sucks for indoor shots.

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

Items ordered: Price:
2 x LOGISYS 80MM QUAD LED CASE FAN - BLUE
$8.95
1 x GENERIC 24 INCH DUAL DEVICE ROUND IDE CABLE - UV BLUE
$10.95
1 x VANTEC 36 INCH DUAL DEVICE ROUND IDE CABLE - SILVER
$13.95
1 x GENERIC ANODIZED THUMBSCREWS 10PC - BLACK
$6.95
1 x GENERIC DOMED CASE BADGE - MOST OF MY MONEY INSIDE
$2.49
1 x VANTEC 24 INCH DUAL DEVICE ROUND IDE CABLE - SILVER
$12.95

Sub-Total: $65.19
Shipping: $6.26
GST: $5.00 (Good and Services Tax 7%)
PST: $5.36 (Provincial Sales Tax 7.5%) =14.5% sales tax
ORDER TOTAL: $81.81

I've got a question about that Slot1 -> socket 370 thingy you mentioned.
You see, my test'n'tinker rig also has a slot1... I don't really think I will be able to get it at a good speed since its impossible to find any half-decent slot1 heatsink around.

Could you tell me more about that slot to socket converter? Also, what are average prices for S-370 P3's ?
I'm looking into it because nearly every socket A HS also fits on a S-370 and there are still quite some decent S-370 HS's around.
If the costs aren't too high, I may just lay down a bit of money for a cheapo upgrade...

I'm skeptical about wether northbridges like stuff like that though. :-/

A slocket is a thing that looks like a slot one CPU but it has a standard socket 370 socket on it. So you can put a socket 370 cpu into a slot one MB. The slockets are cheap ebay for 5 bucks. And well you know how much socket 370 stuff is. Pretty easy to find a nice 800mhz P3 kicking around. Or a decent 600 that you can punch up to 800

Case is looking good so far. I've been almost begging a buddy of mine to take a road trip to B.C. just to visit the scrap heap heheh. I really would like to get my hands on a dual p2 500 server just for the fun of it. Bought an old server here today for $5 that has a monster power supply in it. Never seen anything like it before, but it has a huge 140mm fan and a slick looking fan guard too.

Anyways. What is their deal with going there to get parts? Do they just openly sell parts? Give cheap stuff away? Or did you have to ask for permission to have a look around? Just curious. Wouldn't want to make the 12 hour drive and have them tell me to get lost :)

Demonghast said:
Case is looking good so far. I've been almost begging a buddy of mine to take a road trip to B.C. just to visit the scrap heap heheh. I really would like to get my hands on a dual p2 500 server just for the fun of it. Bought an old server here today for $5 that has a monster power supply in it. Never seen anything like it before, but it has a huge 140mm fan and a slick looking fan guard too.

Anyways. What is their deal with going there to get parts? Do they just openly sell parts? Give cheap stuff away? Or did you have to ask for permission to have a look around? Just curious. Wouldn't want to make the 12 hour drive and have them tell me to get lost :)

I have never delt with them before this, I just drove down, talked to some white guy and he showed me what they had kicking around. I dont think they get many people wanting to buy stuff there. So he was pretty open to let me look around. I dont think I would make the 12hr drive just to look around. Just in case you get there and they dont have what you are looking for or someone is an a$$ to you when you do get there.

I love the case! But even more so, I love the kitties. We just found 7 tiny, week-old kittens in a sofa that was living outside. That makes a total of 13 cats. I hope they are as in to computers as the kitties in your pics (pun intended).

I am pretty happy with the turnout so far, but I still need to do the window and change the rest of the cables to round IDE. (hence the large parts list I just bought in the post up the page) It has been quite hot the past few days and without Air Cond in the house, my room has been hovering around 35-38C The twin 120mm intake fans have been able to keep the system temp bang on with the ambient room temp. The CPU temp on the other hand is having a bit more of a problem but it is a real slot one and from what I understand 40-50C is about average for them and she has been around 45C running temp.

Yes we have lots of kitties, and we just found out that one of the strays we brought in is pregnant.

Stack the PSU's I am thinking about that. I have a spare ATX PSU that I re-wired and rigged up on a relay, so that it can be plugged into a 2nd PSU and it has a trigger in the box so that when the Main one comes on, it starts up the 2nd one. I was using it to power all the lights and fans in my main rig until I got my antec TC 550w. It currently has an el-cheepo 420PSU in it right now. (probably as much power as a good 300w) and it seems to be running everything without any problems.

This is my LAN party Rig

All Aluminum, only 2 hard drives, plus 3 optical drives so that I can keep the popular game cds loaded at all times. 1 gig of ram, and gigabit network when I find a place to use it. LOL

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

The Window Begins

I got a really late start today, by the time I got the plexi and finished working on my car, (my other hobby) I only had about an hour to work on the case today. But I got off to a good start. I could not decide if I wanted round, square or some strange shape. I had the cardboard and the black sharpie all out and ready when I decided to hell with it. I will let the jig saw lead and see what I come up with. So I made my insert cut with a 120mm fan saw and then started to let the jig saw wander around, I pointed it where I wanted it to go in the general direction and just kinda swerved back and fourth and moved around in a total randam order. I think the hole looks pretty unique, almost artistic. I am going lay the side panel over the plexi and trace out the hole in the plexi and then attempt to cut an exact match. Looking back at what I did it might not have been the smartest thing to make such a wierd shape as cutting the window out to be exact is going to be nearly impossible. If I get started on it tommorow and find that it is really crazy I will just cheat and do the overlay and then bolt it in place. Current case has the window cut slightly larger and then just held in with screws around the edge.

I am not sure how I am going to do it quite yet, but whatever happens I am sure it is going to be fun. I cant wait to get everything cut and paited and on the case. I am really having fun with this project.

Well enough chatter here are the couple of pics from today. The first is the cut panel and the 2nd is the sheet of raw plexiglass still covered in the protective film.

52.jpg

53.jpg

Great progress a couple of questions about hardware real fast though.

First on that 550 is that a retail hs and how did you mount that 80mm fan.

Can you tell me a little more about that P3b-F mobo cuase it looks absouletly identical to the P3V4x.

Finally why the multicolor fans with the red case I wouldn't think they would match that well.

Thats all I can think of right now keep up the good work. Cheers!!!!!!!!

speed bump said:
Great progress a couple of questions about hardware real fast though.

First on that 550 is that a retail hs and how did you mount that 80mm fan.

Can you tell me a little more about that P3b-F mobo cuase it looks absouletly identical to the P3V4x.

Finally why the multicolor fans with the red case I wouldn't think they would match that well.

Thats all I can think of right now keep up the good work. Cheers!!!!!!!!

Ok first question, yes it is a retail 550 but I just took a standard 80mm fan, cut one corner of the frame and then used long screws to screw into the heatsink and it worked.

2nd I don't know much about the P3V4X board so I am not sure what you need to know. I like the P3B-f becuase it has 4 SD ram slots and 6 PCI slots. Can be overclocked in the bios and as far as I know supports up to 1ghz CPU's

The mulitcolour fans are being replaced with solid blue ones at a later date. Right now I want the best fans in my main rig so the server (red machine) gets what ever is left over.

Well I went with the bolted route. 47 screws with bolts to hold it all together. WOW that took some time. I did the first 47 in the metal frame, then used a larger bit to debure the holes, then layed the plex under the frame and used the first 47 to drill out the next set of holes in the glass. Man what a ton of work. I have layed the first coat of paint on the side panel and am about to flip it over so that I can start the back side of the panel with paint.

Well here are the pics from this AM.

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

Well the WINDOW IS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Window is IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Sorta. The stupid dumb *&*()&()* at the hardware store gave me the wrong size nuts for the bolts for most of the ones I needed. I got 14 out of 50+ that are right. So I installed the 14 that are correct and gently brought the panel upstairs and pressed it onto the computer. WOW it looks so sweet to have a window that HUGE on the side of the case. I cant wait for tomorow when my shipment of fans and round IDE cables gets here. I am going to re-wire everything to hide all the wires (or as many as I can) I have some split loom kicking around too and even some leftover PSU Sleeving kit if I really get hot to trot. I cant take this machine offline for very long due to the fact that it is also the machine server all these pics you are looking at, as well as about 150+ other web pages and thousands of pics. (over 10 gig of HTML and small pics) with another 140gig of movies, videos and music.

Well here are the pics so far. I cant wait to get all the wires cleaned up. This has been so much fun so far. It ended up costing me more than expected with all the runs to the hardware store, paint store and extra parts that I wanted to add. 40$ paint, and 60$ fans and 80$ for more fans and cables. But oh well it is all in the name of a cool case.

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

Back