• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mod a Case With Me......... LOTS OF PICS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am kinda thinking along that line, but cheaper, way cheaper.

Single Athlon XP2400+ and 512mb of ram with about 400gig HD space.

A local computer place has a package deal on ubber cheap, CPU and board for 149$ CDN Thats about 110$ USD, add on a stick of 512mb DDR400 for another 100$ CDN about 80$ USD and I am in the clear for under 200$ USD.

I could not find the one with the better CPU I could only find the 139$ version with the 2000+ cpu.

http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=1542

It is a generic MB but all it has the stuff I want all onboard. Video and sound do not have to be high priority and there is a couple of PCI slots for ide controller cards and or a gig lan card when I am ready for it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My order has been held up in shipping and now I wont see it till Monday.

I want that new windowed PSU box with add on fan.

I posted about one of the things I am ordering in another thread and got no responses.

Seeing as all the people in this thread have seen the location of my current PSU in this rig, maybe you could take a look at what I am waiting on. It is a PSU BOX replacment that has windows and allows you to add a 2nd fan into it.

The other thread is here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=314838

Tell me what ya think of it. I dont care, you can post in either thread, this one or that one. I just want to know if anyone else has used it and what they thought of it.

They have mobiles on sale here in calgary (the 2500's) for $139. I'd mix one of those with a decent board and still stay under the $200 mark. That way when you set up WC you'll have something nice to play with. :)

Well looking at your other thread Capt fiero I'm not to sure about the cover cuase I dont have one but as a GIANT GAINT word of caution make sure you have the PSU unplugged for at least to days to allow the stored electricity to dissipate. I don't want to wake up one day and in the newpaper find Overclocker killed while trying to modify computer power supply. With a byline saying this was apparently a result of encouragement by members of a insane group of people on a forum about overclocking.

Just be safe and have fun.

speed bump said:
Well looking at your other thread Capt fiero I'm not to sure about the cover cuase I dont have one but as a GIANT GAINT word of caution make sure you have the PSU unplugged for at least to days to allow the stored electricity to dissipate. I don't want to wake up one day and in the newpaper find Overclocker killed while trying to modify computer power supply. With a byline saying this was apparently a result of encouragement by members of a insane group of people on a forum about overclocking.

when i replaced my stock cover with a clear cover mod, i never unplugged my psu for 2 days... heck, i even had to chop down the heatsinks inside to fit my 120mm and 80mm fans inside it... just make sure not to touch anything and you'll be good.... or... wear rubber gloves :rolleyes:

nova7 said:
no ut2004 tho, and the hd space, I hate to be the bad-guy (okay, that was a lie) but if you google for no-cd cracks they have them for most games.. (not linkin any links here)

Edit: yes, there are legitimate uses. so don't b*tch at me... just in advance... sorry... da*n i'm like the medic on blood gultch chronicles......sorry.

the recent 2k4 patches add on a no cd..

speed bump said:

I have a bit of experience with modding PSU's. I wired one up on a relay that triggered the ATX switch lead on the PSU when the relay got power from my main psu in a rig. I ran the fans on the 2nd PSU and the HD's on the first PSU. The 2nd PSU would turn on and off with the system it was awesome, but there were too many wires so I ditched the system. It was great in principal but poor for day to day use. Thanks for the heads up on caution though.

Zerrus said:
Man that is one BIG case :) Nice job though. With all them cats and a dog, must have been fun painting that boat and keeping the 4 legged pals at bay!

LOL, there was a point that I came outside and found a serise little tiny foot prints across my fresh read paint on one of the side panels that I had left out to dry in the sun.

It was not hard to find the culprit. Just had to look at the bottom of there feet. Caught it "red pawed"

Demonghast said:
They have mobiles on sale here in calgary (the 2500's) for $139. I'd mix one of those with a decent board and still stay under the $200 mark. That way when you set up WC you'll have something nice to play with. :)

Well I have made my descision. When money permits, It is going to be a 130$ AMD CPU and an 80$ MB (whatever speed and performance I can get for that price when I am ready to do the swap)

I am going to start piecing together a water cooling rig. The heater core / rad I can get really cheap, the pumps I am sure I can get a decent pump at my local industrial supply store, tubing I can get from Home Depot. The only thing I will need to really buy retail will be the water block for the CPU.

I am going to have to do some serious research on W/C rigs.

A couple of quick questions.

Is a brass or aluminum rad better.

How many GPH should a pump be.

id suggest lookin at the stickies in the wc forums, they are amazinly helpful. if you are lookin for an all in one kit that is fairly cheap and pretty good for starters then you should check out this site. I got my first water cooling kit from them and it worked right out of the box. The only thing I would be hesitant about is getting the Via Aqua pump that comes with the kit. It has a bad reputation, which I can vouch, is quite justified. For $105 the whole kit is quite a deal though, and the slitedge waterblock you get with it is not a bad performer by any means. OC review of Slitedge I highly recommend checking that kit out if you are just starting off with watercooling. Whatever you do though, definatley check out the WC forums, theres a hell of a lot of people there with a vast amount of information on the subject.

To answer your quick questions though.....

Copper is best, but after that I think comes aluminum and then brass (not 100% sure so if im wrong, somebody please correct me) for radiators.

how many GPH your pump should be varies with the waterblock you choose. The subject of flowrate is a widely debated topic as you will find if you check out the WC stickes on it. I think 300GPH is a good number that works for most people and for most waterblocks just fine. Thats just an opinion though, you should really do your own research into the topic and figure out what you think will work best.

hope I helped in some way.

Just got back from my trip, comp looks MUCH better with all the blue lights in there. :)

And your case is crazy tall. ;) Make sure that you have sufficient head in your pump to get water from the pump on the bottom of the case up to the rad near the top (if that's where you decide to put it.)

My box of new toys just showed up, so the server is going to be offline for a bit while I hook at all up.

This means all the pics will be offline too.

That looks simply awesome! nice sticker too. Fans are much better now than those multicolored ones. Unfortunately my case came with similar multicolored fans and i have no idea what to do with them...they match with nothing.

Thank You. I am guessting you are a car nut as well.

Now back to the case mods. There are a few things that every server case needs to have, wheels is one of them, check-- we got that, and the other is a really cool looking LCD display with fan and temp monitering. Something that is totally stand alone and does not require any software. Well as luck would have it a buddy just bought a new Thermaltake Xaser V case that came with a Hardcano. Our best guess it is it pretty close to a Hardcano 9 and we yanked that thing out even before we installed the MB, we installed a Hardcano 12 with is really cool by the way.

We thought about it and a 2nd hand Hardcano is only worth at best 20 bucks. So off to the server it went. After a little bit of jig saw to the front bezel (paint is drying outside so no pics of the front cover right now) and some really creative wirring to get this thing to work in my machine, I know have an LCD temp and fan display. I have the temp probes (3x) montering the intake air, the CPU and the exhaust air from the PSU. I wanted to know how hot the PSU air was to help me with an idea of how hard the PSU is working. So far the dual fan adapter has kept the PSU at only 3C of the intake air temp so I am very please with that. It should last me a good long time like that. It lights up green but with the camera flash you cant see the green at all. Well enough chatter here it is.

P.S. I am leaving the Vantec Nexus is there as I am using it to control other fans in the machine.

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

P.S. I just used the lowest sharpness and quality of my camera to see if I can get away posting un-resized pics, so let me know if they are alright.

Back