• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding the IHS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What we're saying is logically, yes, it should help. However, the gains are probably going to be near zero for a risky process that nobody's done before. I don't know what your financial situation is, but most of us don't want to risk killing a $200-300 chip just to experiment on something that's only going to affect temperatures and overclocking by a very small amount.

What we're saying is logically, yes, it should help. However, the gains are probably going to be near zero for a risky process that nobody's done before. I don't know what your financial situation is, but most of us don't want to risk killing a $200-300 chip just to experiment on something that's only going to affect temperatures and overclocking by a very small amount.

It wont be killing it, no matter what happens, the delidding and lapping will happen. Those 4 holes like you say and give my next to nothing in gains.

Im sure we are talking 2degrees one way or the other.

I have made a few bids on cpu's a 3570 and a 3770. As testing cpu's.

Does the Liquid Ultra make it impossible to take off the IHS once its been heated in place?

It wont be killing it, no matter what happens, the delidding and lapping will happen. Those 4 holes like you say and give my next to nothing in gains.

Im sure we are talking 2degrees one way or the other.

I am trying to buy a 3570, and seems i have winning bid, this will be my test CPU.

Does the Liquid Ultra make it impossible to take off the IHS once its been heated in place?

nope... liquid ultra is easier to remove than liquid pro... I re-applied mine a week later to see if I could make a better contact as 1 core was considerably hotter than the rest and had no problems.

This thread is full of funny hole of glory :)

IHS : Integrated Heat Spreader

Deliding the CPU die/board from the IHS and applying better paste will improve IB temp but holes in the IHS .... i think its the funniest thing ive seens today ( this year ? ) :)

This thread is full of funny hole of glory :)

IHS : Integrated Heat Spreader

Deliding the CPU die/board from the IHS and applying better paste will improve IB temp but holes in the IHS .... i think its the funniest thing ive seens today ( this year ? ) :)

A free laugh is always good, but remember, the year is young!

Won't the air flow short circuit with those 4 holes, that is, mostly bypass the chip and flow from a hole at the bottom to the hole immediately above it? OTOH if you place just one hole at the bottom and one hole at the opposite side on top, more of the air will flow across the chip:

intel2.png

airf.jpg

*air not necessarily purple

OTOH if you're going to remove the lid to drill it, place the bottom holes directly under the chip. But drilling with the lid in place could leave bits of metal inside that can short something. Also I don't think vent holes help when there's a heatsink.

How is the air going to go across the die? There isn't a gap above as its filled with Tim.

Honestly, i never got around to doing anything yet.

I got stuck at missing the wet/fry sanding paper, and right now im very busy with many other things. I got my 3770 and 3770K, but after using the 3770 with my custom H70 loop, i felt no need to rip that cpu apart. The max temps i get from many hours of prime95 as about 60/65degrees, and in idle i get between 4 and 10 degrees (on individual cores) and about 15degrees combined.

The 3770K will remain as is for now, since i dont have the time. But i am still planning on ripping the 3770K apart. But to start with i think i may try without doing this, and then take it from there.

Maybe if i get a cheap deal on another 3770K, then i will do it.

Back