• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor going bad??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KnownKiller

I've noticed this problem on my IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 19" Flat screen..

For the past 2 weeks i believe i've seen this bright white flash in the center portion of my screen... either in the middle or on top of the screen it flashes a brighte white light for about a split second and i notice the sides of the screen move inward at the same time... it doesnt happen all the time but it can happen once a minute or so when it does.

Is this a sign of the gun in my monitor going or the picture tube? Or could it all be just the G3 ti200 that might be going?

I'll be P.O'ed if it is going cause soon i'm gona buy a new graphics card that will support dual monitors and i'd hate to not bealbe to use that!

I'm going to say that yes, it's probably the monitor. To be sure, if you can, try hooking it up to another pc for awhile and see if it continues to act up. If it does, you know it's toast.

I agree...probably the monitor. Most likely, a vid card problem would either give artifacts, go black for a split second, or give a certain color tint.

The good news is, if your monitor is only doing this every so often and only for a split second, it might still live for a while.

Most likely the gun is fine, but its a power related problem, more specifically the flyback transformer. When those go, they can cause screen flicker and power spikes. The other common problem is the smaller transformer on the contoller board.

If it gets worse and dies, there does exist the possibility that you could diagnose it, and if its the flyback, you might actually be able to find one for a KDS screen and swap it out. But thats a big maybe...and nothing says thats your problem!

My point? Troubleshoot like pcgirl suggests and if it turns out to be the monitor then cross your fingers and hope it doesn't get worse! (Unless ofcourse its still under warranty...)

Mike

Ok cool thanks.. Well worse case i could use the spare sony E400 flat 19" for awhile till i got the cash for a new monitor.. Allways wanted a 22-24" hehe..

I hope it will last me like another 6-8 months atleast!

Hey breadfan are you the Q2-Q3 BradFan]AfZ[ i used to know back when i was with AfZ?

ALso.. you seem to know some stuff about fixin monitors.. you think this would cost alot of cash to fix if it did go? I mean like would it be worth to get it fixed over just buying a new one cost wize?

Yeah the warrenty has been up for a few years... IIyama only gives ya i think a year with it and ya have to pay a ton to extend it.

A while back the thing just used to shake... the whole screen side to side... it would drive me insane... but again not all the time but sometimes it would go on forever it would seem.. wired that it never does it anymore period.. Hell its been like 4-5 months since i've seen it do it. Though i think it was related to the system like it wasnt getting enough power to the vid or something..

pcgirl said:
I'm going to say that yes, it's probably the monitor. To be sure, if you can, try hooking it up to another pc for awhile and see if it continues to act up. If it does, you know it's toast.

I wish i could but the other computer is down... bad P/S. I aint gona bealbe to afford a new P/S for a while..

Well, typically, atleast from what I've seen, shaking or flickering screens have been flyback transformer related. The other thing to consider is if you had the monitor near a strong electromagnetic source such as unsheilded speakers or even a magdrive water pump if you watercool. That could cause some problems, luckily, degaussing and time usually fix those issues...

I do want to stress that you shouldn't open your monitor unless you understand and know the fact taht there are many parts in there that store high voltages and can keep a charge for over a day even with the power turned off.

The flyback transformers job is to take normal current and bump it up to about 20,000volts for the tube. So, just keep in mind you can end up dealing with 20,000volts of electricity if you do something wrong in there.

If you DO ever crack it open, you can identify the flyback pretty easily. On the top of the tube should be a wire that ends on the top of the tube with what looks like a suction cup. If you follow that, it'll lead to the flyback, which should look like a plastic encased transformer and may have adjustment knobs on them.

A good way to see if the transformer is bad is to run the monitor, and while its on take a non-conductive item (such as a wooden stick) and lightly! tap the flyback. If you get alot of flicker, then the flyback may be malfunctioning. Now, don't start whackin' the thing hard, just lightly tap. You want to see if a problem exists, not create one :)

I can't recall the exact way the flybacks work, but its basically copper wire wound around a magnet (I belive) with an insulating material like epoxy between some of the coils. Over time that insulating material can break down and short the coils which cuases problems.

So if you monitor gets worse, thats a good place to start looking. As to the cost effectiveness of replacing or having it repaired, that all depends.

Being a newer KDS monitor it might be possible to find a flyback unit for $50 or under. In that case, if you could replace it yourself, and were relaitvely sure that was the problem, it's not such a bad deal. I'd say if you have it repaired and the costs starts approaching 100 bucks, then I'd question whether or not its worth it.

It could be worth it in the fact that you could learn something about monitors, which is pretty cool. Ofcourse, with my old 19" Digital brand that I tried to replace the flyback, I gave up after the extreme headache of trying to find a flyback that'd work with it... It's up to you really. If it was me, I'd simply wait and see if things get worse before doing much of anything.

Mike

Alrighty then.. Yeah i wont mess with it forsure unless it gets real bad to the point were i cant use the computer without it bugin the crap outa me...

I've takin a monitor apart once before.. an old 17" one on my first computer so i could paint the case on it and yup something went wrong and the thing would never turn on again... The light on the unit would power on but the piture would not. Yes i had it connected to a computer hehe. I dont know if i wana risk opening up another one and messing it up.. I mean its scary to do that and have somehting go wrong and not know what i did to kill it.

Anyways.. Thanks for the info! I only need one last little question answered... Where do i go for parts for this monitor? Your not talkin about buying a new one and guting the part i need are you?..hehe j/k..

Yeah in the past i had watercooling but the pump was nowhere near the monitor and i use sheilded speakers... so.. i cant really say what the case was before with all the shaking.

The thing gets pretty hot though.. think it might be helpfull to atleast take the back cover off and see if theres a build up of dust that could be doing somehting to it? I always thought i should of bought one of those monitor fans to help cool that thing down.. i guess i should have..

Again... thanks for the help breadan! If it wasnt for you i'd be panicing about losing a monitor.

Back