• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffbax

Registered
I'm tryining to find a good monitor that will run me little more than 200 bucks.

I hear lots of things like Trinitron, Diamondtron, ect and don't know whats so special about them...

I do know that I can get a "diamondtron" monitor by dell for pretty good price, but I'm not sure if dell monitors are very good.

Please share with me your knowledge on this.

I was also wondering about LCDs.

How much different is a 15 inch lcd to a 17 inch crt?

I'm going to college in 2 years and might have to save space some how, and an LCD might be what I should invest in, but I want 17 inch CRT quality / size... (I know they measure CRTs and LCDs differently... that new blue LCD by hercules says its the same viewable size as a 17 inch crt)

I'm a gamer/webmaster who likes 1024x768 resolution.

Hi jeffbax,
I've got a Sony Trinitron 17" (E220) few months ago, and I'm really pleased with it, not 100% geometrically perfect, but very very good, especially for colors, resolution, and it's really Flat.
An LCD it's another world, you know, but the prices are very different, so all depends by your budget ;)

Well, I saw this DELL P793 monitor on an ebay auction for only like 142 bucks + shipping.

http://www.pcnomad.com/detail.php?productID=965

^^ they did the auction, and they sell it regularly, i bet they offer it again, but I was just wondering how good of a monitor that was.

I really just want a good gaming CRT monitor for 200 or less dollars.

I'd also like a black monitor to go with my speakers / computer tower... maybe I'm just shallow for that, but I might have to forget about it b/c not many monitors come in black.

Well, for me it seems to be a good product: good resolution & freq. (up to 75Mhz at 1600x1200 is really good), Aperture Grill of .25 (not so bad, my Sony is .24), and really nice look, the only prob is about the crappy Dell Logo ;) but for which reason are you looking for? a Sony LCD 18" for 250$? :D

250 $ sony LCD? Sign me up :beer:

Well, I don't think I'd mind the dell logo to much, I'm not sure, I'm more concerned about getting a good monitor.

Do you thinkt hat dell is better than say an NEC FE700 + ? or Viewsonic E70Fb ?

or are there still better fish in the sea?

The best quality 17 inch monitors for the money may
be the Samsung 755DF CRTs.

Samsung FlatPanel monitor are also highly rated.

I have several and am very pleased with them.

789457.gif
Actual Diagonal Screen Size: 17in
Bandwidth: 135 MHz
Cabinet Color: Gray
Certifications: CCIB , CSA (Canada) , DEMKO (Denmark) , DHHS Rules 21 CFR , DOC-B , EIAJ , FCC Class B , IEC950 (Safety) , MPR II (Sweden EMI) , NEMKO (Norway) , NOM , PTB (Japan) , SEMKO (Sweden) , SETI , TCO99 , TUV (Germany) , UL Listed
Controls: Barrel , Brightness , Contrast , Digital Front , Focus , H/V Position , H/V Size , Language Select , Manual Degaussing , MoirT Erase , OSD Controls , Parallelogram , Pin Balance , Pincushion Distortion/Balance , Rotation , Trapezoid , Vertical Linearity , Zoom
Display Memory Settings: 8 Preset , 8 User
Dot/Stripe Pitch: .20mm , Horizontal
Input Voltage: 50/60 Hz , Universal 120/220 VAC
Interface Type: DB15 (VGA)
Manufacturer: SAMSUNG - MONITORS
Maximum Resolution Supported: 1600 x 1200
Misc Features: Macintosh Compatible , Macintosh Requires Adapter , Optional USB Hub , PC Compatible , Tilt and Swivel Base
Scanning-Horizontal Freq: 30-85 KHz
Scanning-Vertical Freq/Refresh: 50-160 Hz
Screen Type: 90-Degree Deflection , Anti-Glare , Anti-Static , Flat-Screen , Invar Shadow Mask
Software Included: None
Type Device: Color Monitor
Video Standards: SVGA , SXGA , UXGA , VGA , XGA
Viewable Diagonal Screen/Image Size: 16in
Weight: 44.70 lbs

QUICK OVERVIEW
17 (16 VIEWABLE)
0.20MM DOT PITCH (HORIZONTAL)
1600 X 1200 @ 68HZ MAXIMUM RESOLUTION
DYNAFLAT - INFINITELY FLAT TUBE
SMART III SURFACE TREATMENT (ANTI-STATIC & ANTI-GLARE)
ON SCREEN DIGITAL DISPLAY
PLUG & PLAY COMPATIBILITY
TCO'99/NUTEK CERTIFIED
COLOR SOLUTION ( COLORIFIC S/W )
DISPLAY DOCTOR ON-SCREEN CONTROL

SYSTEM AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
PC WITH 15-PIN D-SUB CONNECTOR MAC WITH AN OPTIONAL MAC ADAPTER

PRODUCT PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS
WIDTH/DEPTH: 16.2 X 16.5
HEIGHT: 16.4
WEIGHT: 36.2 LBS.

WARRANTY
STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 YEARS
COMMENTS: STANDARD 3 YEAR PARTS AND LABOR 3 YEAR CRT
SCREEN TYPE: INFINITE FLAT INVAR SHADOW MASK SMART III SCREEN COATING
COLOR / MONOCHROME: COLOR
MONITOR SIZE: 17
VIEWABLE SIZE (DIAG. INS.): 16.0
DOT PITCH SIZE (MM): .20 MM
MAXIMUM RESOLUTION AT HIGHEST REFRESH AND COLOR (N X N): 1600 X 1200
MAXIMUM REFRESH RATE AT HIGHEST RESOLUTION AND COLOR (KHZ): 65 HZ
HORIZONTAL SCAN FREQUENCY: 30-85 KHZ
VERTICAL SCAN FREQUENCY: 50-160 HZ
SCREEN COATING: SMART III SCREEN COATING (HIGH CONTRAST ANTI-STATIC AND ANTI-GLARE)
TILT / SWIVEL: TILT & SWIVEL
CONNECTOR TYPE: 15-PIN D-SUB
MAC/PC ADAPTER INCLUDED: NO
VOLTAGE SUPPORTED: AC 90-264V 60/50 3HZ UNIVERSAL POWER
POWER CONSUMPTION (WATTS): 100 WATTS
POWER CORD INCLUDED: YES
VIDEO CABLE INCLUDED: YES
CERTIFICATION(S): EPA/NUTEK/VESA/ENERGY 2000

BILL OF MATERIALS
MONITOR AND STAND
CD ROM W/SOFTWARE AND DRIVERS
USER'S MANUAL
POWER CORD
Its like 164 bucks at emscomputing.com

Think thats better than the dell one?

Know anything bout good BLACK monitors? :)

Joke a part, in a monitor is important the 'catode tube', and Diamondtron is by Mitsubishi, not Dell, but for sure there are a lot of other way to go.
About Samsung monitor, onestli I'm not experienced at all, I've compared only a Samsung TV 28" 100Hz digital, with my LG, and without doubt LG is the winner.

The Doors said:
Joke a part, in a monitor is important the 'catode tube', and Diamondtron is by Mitsubishi, not Dell, but for sure there are a lot of other way to go.
About Samsung monitor, onestli I'm not experienced at all, I've compared only a Samsung TV 28" 100Hz digital, with my LG, and without doubt LG is the winner.
I know it was a joke, I threw that lil beer smily in :)

And I know that Dell probably just puts their own shell around someone elses monitor, I just wnat to know if its good :)

I want a good black 17 inch monitor for a good price :)

Mostly for games / websites.

Well, compare the specs, and wait for other suggestion about, and if you'll choose the Samsung, you can always think to paint the monitor in your preferred color. I'm thinking since long time to this way, coz my desk is black, and considering that I'm from Italy :D

The Doors said:
Well, compare the specs, and wait for other suggestion about, and if you'll choose the Samsung, you can always think to paint the monitor in your preferred color. I'm thinking since long time to this way, coz my desk is black, and considering that I'm from Italy :D
I dunno if I'd feel safe to paint my monitor lol...

Back