• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Ram or Higher FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mepis

I've gotten back into the overclocking again and have found my highest OC with my current setup until I get another motherboard. (I dont want to get another chip because it's a good OCer and that would take all the fun from it.)

I got my Sempron 2600+ to OC to 2 ghz rock solid but cant go any higher without more voltage. I originally thought it was my memory holding me back but after buying some more and borrowing a friends stick of XMS I've come to found out it's not. (Also days worth of tests.)

Anyway with all my recent ram purchases and swapping Im left at a choice with this OC. More Ram or Higher FSB for the memory. I have a choice of 1 gig of ram at 180 mhz FSB or a choice of 768 megs of ram at 260 mhz FSB. Obvisouly it's a rather large difference in FSB speed.

Anyway here are my current specs. I had to use a few workarounds with the memory because of lack of support on my motherboard to reach that OC with the gig of ram, hence the lower FSB.

Asus k8n
sempron 2600+ with 64 bit extensions (but no cool and quiet)
(512 meg stick DDR 400 kingston and 256 meg DDR kingston)
OR
(512 meg stick DDR 333 Kingston, 256 meg DDR 400 Kingston, 256 meg DDR 333 K-byte)
Radeon 9500 unlocked and OCed like a mutha with the giant 3
Antec true power 320 watt power supply
and other various storage components

Now also keep in mind the most ram intensive thing I do is gaming. Even still the newest game I play is Doom3 and the rest are stuff like painkiller, ut2k4/2k3, deus ex, etc... and 768 megs of ram is plenty to play all of these very well. I also do video encoding BUT NO VIDEO EDITING.

I also MAYBE able to get something like a gig and a quarter ram in the machine around 200 FSB but that is very dependant on that 512 meg stick of DDR 333 kingston stick as it was produced later in the year of 03 and gets a little flaky at higher speeds.

Last edited:
I just did some benching and kept it primarly to the gaming side as that is the most ram intensive thing I use my computer for. With 768 megs of ram at a FSB of 260 I scored 15444 points. With 1280 megs of ram and FSB of 201 I benched at 14954. And at 1 gig at 180 FSB I benched at around 14440.

All of these have my chip OCed to 2 ghz and the HTT at 260.

Back