• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most compression

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

What format do you guys think is the best for archiving. I don't really care about the time it takes as I want to do it overnight. However I want to clean up some Harddrive space and wouldn't mind putting some files to disk. I know of .zip, .rar, and .stf (I think that is stuffit). However I haven't used the last. Any opinions?
Duck

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
RAR has some of the best compression out there, though if you truly aren't concerened about compression time, 7Zip can usually get you a few more percent (...taking twice or thrice the time though...)

JigPu

OP
T

ToiletDuck

I found this website: http://www.maximumcompression.com/ which seems to have a good head on it's shoulders. I wanted to try that PAQAR 3.0 but it doesn't have a gui and I'm not good enough to use a command prompt. I couldn't find documentation on how to use it. However one that they did have good things to talk about was WinRK which has a very easy to use GUI so I'm giving that one a shot right now. I'm compressing 6.84GB and I'll post later what I got it down too.
By there studdies winrar came into 16th place I believe. Some of these seem to be a lot better than others.
Duck

OP
T

ToiletDuck

I'm seeing winrar was 7.8mb for a picture and PAQAR 3.0 was like 6.6. That's quite a jump.