• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most compression

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

What format do you guys think is the best for archiving. I don't really care about the time it takes as I want to do it overnight. However I want to clean up some Harddrive space and wouldn't mind putting some files to disk. I know of .zip, .rar, and .stf (I think that is stuffit). However I haven't used the last. Any opinions?
Duck

RAR has some of the best compression out there, though if you truly aren't concerened about compression time, 7Zip can usually get you a few more percent (...taking twice or thrice the time though...)

JigPu

I found this website: http://www.maximumcompression.com/ which seems to have a good head on it's shoulders. I wanted to try that PAQAR 3.0 but it doesn't have a gui and I'm not good enough to use a command prompt. I couldn't find documentation on how to use it. However one that they did have good things to talk about was WinRK which has a very easy to use GUI so I'm giving that one a shot right now. I'm compressing 6.84GB and I'll post later what I got it down too.
By there studdies winrar came into 16th place I believe. Some of these seem to be a lot better than others.
Duck

I'm seeing winrar was 7.8mb for a picture and PAQAR 3.0 was like 6.6. That's quite a jump.

Back