• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouting 80mm fan on FOP32-1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowtown

I have been pissing around with my system today, reapplied my unlock on my AVIA 1.133 TBird with my nice Cross mechanical pencil, works very very well compared to my cheapo BIC pencil. Also reapplied Artic Silver today too. Finally managed to get my system to O/C to 1.33 so feeling cocky I finally got around to O/C my Asus V7100 GF2 MX card to 220 CPU/210 MEM and got my 3Dmark2001 to 3000. All that is great, but given the summer temps and my newfound 1.33 action, I find that my temps have rose to 55^ with ambient air around 30^ in here. I have my FOP32-1 which is great, but I still have the YS-Tech fan on it, my two questions.

1 - How much difference will I see temp wise, switching to a Delta 38 fan? There will be an obvious noise increase which I have been wanting to avoid, however that brings me to #2

2 - I have read on here in the past when I was lurking that people have mounted 80mm fans on their regular globalwin/Alpha etc etc. and I received the increased cooling (how much?) and quieter operation since it is larger and spins slower. How would I go about doing this on my current FOP32-1 rig? And will it gain me the cooling benefits of option #1?

Let me know your suggestions.

I stole a fan from my own case and mounted it to the FOP32 to take a pic. Posted the pic and decided to mount the sink for a bit and monitor temps.

Results: actually the 80mm fan was a bit quieter, but dropped temps about 5 degrees F. Not a huge gain unless you're trying to squeeze a couple degrees, but kinda worth the noise reduction.

Shadow ÒÓ (Jun 23, 2001 02:55 a.m.):
I stole a fan from my own case and mounted it to the FOP32 to take a pic. Posted the pic and decided to mount the sink for a bit and monitor temps.

Results: actually the 80mm fan was a bit quieter, but dropped temps about 5 degrees F. Not a huge gain unless you're trying to squeeze a couple degrees, but kinda worth the noise reduction.

And the picture is where? I'm gonna do this with my SK6 when it gets here. Should be pretty easy to use the huge wire clips to attach the 80 via the holes in the bottom flange. If not, I bet I can use cable ties. They are great for mounting fans. I cut the "hole" end off of one tie to use as the "nut" and insert another tie through the fan holes and the "nut", pull tight and ,WOOP, there it is. I use rubber washers to dampen the vibration noise. But I would like to see your pic Shadow ÒÓ . I browsed your site earlier today. That is a wonderful public service resource.

60mm to 80mm, 92mm, or even 120mm adapters only work on HSF's with proper holes for the original 60mm fan. This means that a lot of HS's can't use them. FOP's don't have the "proper" mounting holes for 60mm's. Fandapters aren't a win-win situation. You always lose cooling efficiency with larger than 60mm fans. The folks at Delta REALLY did their homework! A monstro--Sunon doesn't make one-- 80mm must be used on a 60mm to 80mm fandapter to approach the cooling effectiveness of the Delta 38. The geometry and aerodynamics of fan and heatsink is much more complicated than it "should" be. It's possible that you don't lose as much with a 60mm to 80mm fan adapter that's on a HSF unit that normally draws air up and through the fins/pins. I'm not certain about this.

You'll notice a definite improvement if you mount a Delta 38 in place of the 26 cfm 60mm fan. The FOP's are made for mounting 80mm or even 92mm fans on. Cable ties, aka tie wraps work just fine. It's the "shelf" that's tailor made to wrap fastening for the fan around. The Vantec FCE-62540D has the same "shelf."

An 80mm or 92mm case fan won't sit perfectly square atop the FOP, such is life. Naturally, CPU fan/hs design is much more complex than it looks. This means that an 80mm Sunon 42.5 cfm won't cool as well as the Delta from Hell-a. I'll try a new 50 cfm 80mm Sunon on a Vantec FCE-62540D when I have all the parts for a new Duron box. Chances are, it still won't cool as well as the Delta 38 cfm. Delta makes a ~68 cfm 80mm--this fan may indeed work as well as the 60mm Delta 38. It'll be plenty loud, too! But not as annoying as the Delta Black label.

One thing to remember: The four corners of the aforementioned shelves of FOP's(and probably the Vantec, too) are sharp. They must be dulled with a file before using them to wrap tie wraps, aka cable ties around. You CAN just stretch the two spring-wire clips made for 60mm fans to hold an 80mm fan in place. However, the fan clips will never bend into proper shape again.

I don't think that a FOP-32-1 is HSF enough for a 1+ gig T-Bird. The Delta 38 is the easy upgrade, but it'll grate on your nerves.

Fan adapters don't work too well as they disrupt the airflow a lot and cause a lot of blow back due to high pressure.
I would just mount the 80mm fan on the sink, but you will need a fan of about 40cfm+ to get close to the delta's performance. I use a 47cfm ys-tech and on a standard FOP it performa almost identically to a delta (niether higher nor lower temps just varies)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definately think about what I want to do. As of right now the rig is working pretty well, I have managed to get the hot air that was trapped in my house out over the last two days (more house fans) and overall the ambient air has improved so my temps have dropped. The nice thing is that even when it was really hot the temps never went up more than 3-4^ at full load or after back to back 3DMark 2001 runs. Still under 60^. Right now it's running about 50^ so It's cool. I will maybe just buy both fans and see what I like. I do have a spare FOP32 with a broken mounting clip so if need be I can pirate that and use it for testing out mounting methods...

Later,

Shawn

Those arnt special metal clips they are the standard clips for the fops. I have the delta and its plenty loud but I installed some wave foam in my case and now I can hear it at all.

BlakeN (Jun 24, 2001 09:01 p.m.):
Those arnt special metal clips they are the standard clips for the fops. I have the delta and its plenty loud but I installed some wave foam in my case and now I can hear it at all.

I saw your post about the wave foam previously and intended to ask you if there were any bad side-effects temperature wise? I tried with spray adhesive and that rubbery shelf liner stuff with little or no noise suppression.

Case sound proofing usually doesn't have that much effect as you just can't sound proof the entire case and it still gets out in places. It doesn't affect cooling as this is done by forced convection with fans pushing the air through the case so unless the foam or what ever intefers with the airflow then it won't have an effect on cooling.
I'm gonna be writing up a guide on my FOP 32 to FOW 80 soon so I'll let you know when it's done

Back