• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 975X + MSI n430GT = Stuck On Bios Splash Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drostin77

I think my problem is straightforward, and deals with only 2 components;
When I try to use my MSI N430GT in my MSI 975X (Powerup Edition) the computer hangs on the bios splash screen indefinitely.

What I've tried:

• I've confirmed the n430gt card works in another computer. From here in on I'm going to call the second computer (in which the card works) "computer B", and the one it which it does not work (MSI 975X computer) "computer A".
  • I've confirmed the card works in computer B even if I use computer A's power supply instead of computer B's.
  • I've confirmed computer A works if I use a different video card (in this case an HD4670).
  • I've confirmed the card works in computer B even if I use computer A's memory instead of computer B's (this was probably useless to confirm but...).

So as nears as I can tell I have a working card, a working mobo, and a power supply that can drive the card, but somehow when the card is in this particular mother board everything stops. I got 8 days to return the card if I'm going to return it, starting 2 days ago, so I'm hoping to figure out if this is going to work or not.

I'm wondering if its a BIOS issue, but a quick scan of MSI's release notes for new BIOSes for this mobo does not appear to indicate any of the BIOS updates would help...

Does anyone have any a) knowledge about this problem or b) ideas to troubleshoot it? I'm pretty much at a loss so anything would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

In case its useful my full hardware specs:

• Mobo: MSI 975X Platinum V.2 LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80557E4300CPU:
  • Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
  • GPU: MSI n430gt
  • PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430 (looted from a Fusion 430)
  • HDD: 2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
  • monitor 1: SCEPTRE X24WG-1080P Black 24" 2ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
  • monitor 2: Acer....... 24" (i forget the specs but it can't possibly matter... right?)
  • DVD Drive: Unplugged right now + I forget :)
Also available as a PSU (was originally using this but swapped it for the looted earthwatts): FSP Group SAGA+ 400R 400W ATX12V Power Supply

Last edited:
Back