• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplayer from CPU i7-950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fry

Registered
Hello,

i have a i7-950, sabertooth x58, kingsten 1333 4gb, @4.2Ghz running. Max temp 78/79/80/81 Cel. Prime95 30min. Corsair H70 :D

I check the temp. with Core Temp 0.99.8. In there i can read the Frequency:
for example 182.87 x 19. (clocked on 183x23)

Now my question; The multiplayer changes from 17 to 23, cant this be fixed to 23?

I have put i in the bios on 23 but it still changes, when i look in Core Temp.
HT and Speedstep and Turbo are oFF, but still no fixed multiplayer?

Did i miss something?

Regards Fry

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would want to disable HT w/ an i7, but in addition to disabling SpeedStep Tech (EIST) you'll also want to disable both C1E Support in the Advanced menu, and Intel C-STATE Tech in the Intel PPM Configuration menu.

Welcome to the forums!

The multiplier changes down to save power and reduce temperatures. When the chip is placed under load, it ramps back up again. I'd recommend leaving hyperthreading and the powersaving features on unless you have a specific reason to turn them off.

Welcome to the forums!

The multiplier changes down to save power and reduce temperatures. When the chip is placed under load, it ramps back up again. I'd recommend leaving hyperthreading and the powersaving features on unless you have a specific reason to turn them off.

Really? Isn't it entirely possible during an OC that when it drops down to it's more idle state, it can potentially (though unlikely) be unstable as well? Because the higher clock means also a higher clock when in idle state, but you don't get any extra voltage in this state compared to stock... I believe it goes something like that. So whilst idling you could be unstable.. But that said I doubt anything could cause you to crash during idle mode but still..

I personally have HT off simply because right now I don't need it just for gaming, and without it my CPU runs cooler at 4ghz with less voltage. I leave it at this OC all the time, no power saving features enabled..

I'd actually be quite interested to turn on my power saving features and see the affect it has.

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. I didn't see that it was overclocked (I need to learn to read). My experience of i7 boxes is limited to a dual Xeon box that we turn power saving off on (because it gets thrashed 24/7 under 100% load anyway) and disable HT on (molecular modelling software that only supports 8 cores anyway).

I'm not sure why you would want to disable HT w/ an i7, but in addition to disabling SpeedStep Tech (EIST) you'll also want to disable both C1E Support in the Advanced menu, and Intel C-STATE Tech in the Intel PPM Configuration menu.

i disabled the HT, because i have read that this will decrease the temps of the cpu in a OC. It was also seen in diferent tuturials on youtube etc it would be bether.

Well now im not the guy that jumps in the river if my neighbour would do that, but still i have read and seen it. So i guess that it was needed for a safe OC.

Il have disabled C1E Support (i now have a fixed frequency :D )and the C-STATE Tech in the Intel PPM Configuration menu was already disabled (guess its copled on speedstep), these are only for the powersaving features?

On other question; How do i get you nice lined-out Hardware-spec with colors , for example does in your profile?

Last edited:
Signature? I believe you need to make like 5 total posts first before making one or something like that.

Disabling HT reduces heat and required voltage, but it doesn't make it 'better' as such. With HT is obviously going to perform better in benchmarks and multi-threaded apps at the same frequency than without.

But now that I'm entering a cooler stage of the year here, I'm going to re-enable HT.. I did do something interesting though. I have the Cross-bar version for my TRUE on my CPU.. Decided to re-tighten the spring-screws. Dropped my Prime95 Temp by 2 odd degrees. Funny that :p.

My question is, you're running at like 80 degrees over all cores with HT OFF? That seems a little high.. At 4ghz with HT OFF for me I get around 70-72 max. How much voltage are you pushing through at 4.2ghz? At 4GHZ my CPU is stable without HT at 1.25v. I could probably do 4.2 with 1.275 ish give or take +.05. Our chips basically the same but you have the extra multiplier, and I believe that's the only difference.. (correct me if I'm wrong!)

My question is, you're running at like 80 degrees over all cores with HT OFF? That seems a little high.. At 4ghz with HT OFF for me I get around 70-72 max. How much voltage are you pushing through at 4.2ghz? At 4GHZ my CPU is stable without HT at 1.25v. I could probably do 4.2 with 1.275 ish give or take +.05. Our chips basically the same but you have the extra multiplier, and I believe that's the only difference.. (correct me if I'm wrong!)

take a look:

So you propose to put the voltage down?

The multiplayer for the 950 is 23, i can fix that on 24 in the bios, it gives me that oppertunity

you have btw a AIR cooler? I specialy bought an H70 and i get higher temps???? wtf.... Maybe the coolpaste has to work in ;p

Last edited:
Keep it at 23. I'm asking you what your current voltage is? dropping it may cause instability. But depending on how high you have it, it may not. Hence why I asked what your voltage was :p.

I see.. 1.3v? Your other thread showed 1.4v on your CPU via CPU-Z. the 1.4v with HT OFF would explain your high temps. It says 1.3v there but I know the H70 is better than that.

Dunno much about the Intel utility, never used it.

You sure it's at 1.3v? CPU-Z showed 1.4 in your other thread.

EDIT: Yes I'm running an Air cooler.. One of the older ones too. But still a high-end Air cooler.. Just remember the H70 sits up there with high-end air, but still trades blows with some air coolers and is even beaten out by some of the top top coolers.

Another thing... Are you using that program to OC your machine? I'd highly recommend setting everything via the BIOS.

CPU voltage is 1.29375V, maybe the stock blowers on my H70 are not that well and should get other ones?

If they're at full spin, they should be fine.. Before you do anything wait for some others to post (give it a day or so). And see if anyone else has any other suggestions.

By the way. I just realized. You're running 4GB of RAM? Why? You're running a board that supports triple channel RAM. Grab another 2GB stick if you can find one of the exact same make/brand/specs. If not, save a little and get a 2x3GB Kit. E.G Corsair Dominator or G.Skill Ripjaws. One's rated at 800mhz (1600), and C8 or lower timings.

2x3gb is not tripple! ? does it improve that much performance?

Ill wait a day or two, but always nice to have some fast responce from other tweakers :D

Er, sorry, 3x2GB. Lol. That's what I meant! XD.

Well, not really in real-world apps. But why run a tri-channel system with dual channel? :p.

But why run a tri-channel system with dual channel? :p.

money savings~low cash flow :blah: . but thx that you pointed it to me. Ill get next month then new ram. It was from my old system....

i noticed it now also that the Voltage is different. so went in to the bios and put it manual to:

1.25645V wouldnt boot :(
1.27000V wouldnt boot :(
1.30000V (cpu-z tells me 1.288V) booted in windows

But in the bios there was an other option to change cpu voltage. (CPU-xxx Voltage) looking that after prime.

going to run Prime95 now, and i hope it wont crash...

oke it crased inmidiatly. frozen

1.32500V in bios / cpu-z 1.320V going for prime again, coming back from kitchen, it rebooted.

I have runed yesterday prime for 1hour and 47min FULL load test and no problems at CPU-z 1.4V cpuV.

Going now then for 1.35000V in bios, cpu-z 1.344, going for prime again and kitch :D

oke running still after only 5 minutes but still running cpu-z gives me now a cpu voltage of 1.352V, does this increase have todo with CPU PLL settings? Its still on auto, should CPU PLL Votage also have the same setting as CPU Voltage?

Selftest 1024K passed :D Temps 79/78/77/75 realtemp - coretemp 80/78/78/76

Last edited:
well after testing etc i was wondering why i still get the high temps 80 and above.

I have checked my H70-cable connections and it was not connected right fixed that, i turned on turbo control etc in bios, hardware monitor.
Put the CPU voltage to 1.4 in bios, with 201x21 = 4222

Now i have stable temps. 69/72/72/73C :D

but now im wondering, if i decrease the multiplayer and up the blclk do i need more CPU Voltage or less? Coz what i have tested till now is that when i hit 4.2Ghz it always need atleast 1.4V my cpu

Can someone give me a tip on that? would save some time....

Btw i noticed that in benchmarking with 3dMark06, you get better result with a higher multiplayer. So getting higher speeds with high blclk is not good for benchmarking or is it?

Back