• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 2k3dmark benchmark. I feal like I am on a voodoo 3 again lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

Ok, I just ran 3dmark 2k3 for the first time and I only got a score of 1550. Now that is close to what I got with an OC'ed Voodoo 3 and a celeron 500 a couple of years ago when I first benchmarked that machine. The problem that I have is that I feal that this is a very low score for an xp2000@1810mhz and 145fsb. 768mb of PC2700 and a 128mb TI4200@250-550. Maybe this is an average score for this comp, but my first impressions where embarrassment and I hate that lol. I am not going to fall into the same trap that I got into when 3dmark 2k1 came out and go and spend a ton of money cause 3dmark says that my comp is slow when it plays the games that I like to play excessively fine. Maybe when DoomIII comes out and proves itself will I go and buy a top of the line vid card and a faster rig.

3DM03 is much more a GPU bench that a system or CPU bench. The cpu only plays small role in the final score, unlike 3dM01, where the CPU and FSB had a large impact on the final score.

pip said:
Also 3dm03 uses a Pixel Shader that only ATI supports in hardware so the score for NVs plummet, besides that you can't complete all 4 tests

??? That not true..

GF3's support PS1.1 and 1.3, Radeon Suports 1.1,1.3, ans PS1.4

There is virtually no performance difference between PS1.1 and 1.3

3DM03 decided to test Pixel Shaderes using tests for 1.1 and 1.4, as there was no need for a redundent test using 1.3.

There is quite a performance difference in going from 1.3 to 1.4, and this is why the RADEONS perform better in that portion of the bench, as they do in DX8.1 games as well....:)

EDIT: The GF3 and R8500 complete the identical tests in 3dM03:)

Last edited:
So.... the question still remains, did I get a poor score or only average for the rig in my sig?

They complete the identical tests, but the Radeon 8500's Pixel Shader 1.4 support allows it to get a much higher score than a GF3 or even GF4.

TUK101, your score looks very much normal. I get 1500s on my system too.

Damian said:
They complete the identical tests, but the Radeon 8500's Pixel Shader 1.4 support allows it to get a much higher score than a GF3 or even GF4.

The Ti4200 handily outscores the R8500 in 3dM03...as it should

But the R8500 does indeed outscore a GF3, not by much, as it should...

TUK101, have you tried the search and compare feature in 3dM03? It's pretty cool, you can compare your system to anyone elses, usually those w/ the same set-up..to get an idea of how your system compares to similiar systems. Your score seems right where it should be, btw:)

Well cool. I didnt really think that anything was wrong with my system, just was blown away with such a low score considering that peeps are hitting 20g in 2k1. I know about the search and compare but was offline when I ran the test and figured that I would just ask peeps opinions on here. Thanks for the feedback, time to put the debit card away now lol.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'd be in pretty much the same boat you are Tuk.
They've obviously left some room to "grow" with the lates version.
But if it leads to some new sales, I really doubt that either ATI or Nvidia would be too upset....

Exactly, I think that Madonion has a lot to do with the Video card craze that keeps emptying out wallets every 6 months. Oh well, I stay about 6-12 months behind the latest craze and rarely spend more than $100 bones for a video card. I mean crap, a ti4200 is only about 10 months old tech. isnt it?

Back