• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first FX build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember Cinabench was actually made and designed around Intel so it runs like crap on AMD setups so much so there is a BIOS setting to optimize cinabench! WTF?!

I have to comment on this because that setting really has nothing to do with Cinebench R15 being optimized for Intel. This isn't verbatim but from Elmor, those BIAS setting in the CrosshairVI unlock "hidden" registers in the Ryzen CPU. They are hidden because in some CPUs they cause instability so AMD "locked" them out the coders at ASUS have opened them up with a BIOS switch but I know from experience they don't work well with stability but can give a boost in many scenarios such as physics scores for 3DMark benchmarks.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100019096 600218180&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIABFS4PR6852

Looks like they are still making and selling them though and at a premium price too. Wonder why this is? Is is just overstock they are trying to sandbag onto the customer? If so then why the high price? HMMM...

Good profit margin that's why.
I had an AMD HPC gamer till Ryzen came out to replace it. I have no issue with FX but they are quite slow compared to the blue team. It's not fanboism it's just fact

I gave a FX 6350 and M5A99FX Pro (from my previous rig) to my daughter, and it games just fine at 1080p with a RX 480 8GB. My girlfriend has a FX 8350 on a 990fx Giga board with a R7 260x that plays Solitaire like nobody's business. A little over a year ago I had the opportunity to build a hot rod. It's in my sig. I went Intel because of the performance.

edit: Edited post for less confrontation, more fact.

Last edited:
First off the title of the OP thread is my first FX build, NOT want to see who's epeen is bigger? I am pleased with this low budget build even if YOU are not I AM! You can flame some other thread please. Oh BTW just got 4.3GHz!

I honestly wasn't trying to flame, just respond to the ridiculous claims that an industry wide conspiracy is responsible for AMD's Bulldozer woes. I like AMD, I've bought their chips and graphics cards more than once. In fact, every rig I've built before my current one was AMD through and through. My next build will probably be a Ryzen. And congrats on your build, I'm glad it makes you happy.
But. The world isn't out to get AMD. AMD was out to get AMD. Newegg prices don't a convincing argument make. Honestly, dude, I've flamed Intel for shenanigans at a level that far exceeds yours here. They have pulled some dirty tricks and been sued by foreign governments, AMD, and the EU-and lost. I have no innate love for Team Blue. Their chips were better (after the Pentium fiasco) and even if you eliminated all their dirty tricks, AMD suffered a huge performance gap between Athlon and Ryzen. FX chips are still out there gaming and checking email and providing all the performance 95% of people need or want, but from the Core series on up Intel stomped them in outright number crunching until Ryzen-and Intel still wins IPC and core speed. That will probably change in a generation or two if they don't figure out how to beat AMD's multi threading advantage (and FX was a very good multi threading chip considering the rest of the package's shortcomings).
Anyway, I'm not hating on AMD. In the last 5 years or so I've bought or otherwise acquired a Phenom X4, Phenom X3, Athlon(2), Athlon 64, Phenom II 980 BE, FX 6350, and FX 8350. I like AMD, just not to the point of delusion.

Fellas let's keep the drama to a nominal level. I don't want to start closing threads. We already have 2 discussing the same thing.

Play nice.

OH come on I was teasing! Jess. Lighten up cupcake. I got this H7 Quad lumi for it and it does look cool. Doesn't it?
I also managed to get 4.3GHz so far all by myself NO help from anyone, Lots of TPU bullies that flamed me for VRM heat and A bad build. But here it is different or is it?
My First FX build and I love it. the cooler was so easy to install even if the instructions are written in every other language other than English!
Oh did I mention that this system holds a firm 60FPS in DIII reaper of souls on 64bit mode?. And that it does this with a HD5870? .. It runs like butter... Not a glitch and for over 2 hours not one stutter! my I love this My Ryzen 3 gets way faster and better FPS but hey it's not OLD! LOL.

Last edited:
VRM heat is a real issue with that (or any) board, active cooling is the way to go and you have that going on. Bad build? Not that I can see. Cupcake? Not so much... LOL

It's a nice build, and you being happy with it is the most (only) important point. :thup:

VRM heat is a real issue with that (or any) board, active cooling is the way to go and you have that going on. Bad build? Not that I can see. Cupcake? Not so much... LOL

It's a nice build, and you being happy with it is the most (only) important point. :thup:

Thanks. Yeah the VRM is a huge heater at least it will save me on heating costs lol.
Thing is I have 2 Intel Quad cores and they are fantastic yes very sweet in fact the Q9650 is by far my most favoret CPU I ever seen or used hands down THE VERY BEST CPU EVER! FU if you think otherwise!
That said I am in for a change and can tell the FX is a sweet change but the icing on my cake is my New Ryzen 3 It SMOKES the FX and the Q9650 hands down but that is a system that still needs a few things as well as this FX system. Always changing them till I get them perfect for me.

I honestly wasn't trying to flame, just respond to the ridiculous claims that an industry wide conspiracy is responsible for AMD's Bulldozer woes. I like AMD, I've bought their chips and graphics cards more than once. In fact, every rig I've built before my current one was AMD through and through. My next build will probably be a Ryzen. And congrats on your build, I'm glad it makes you happy.
But. The world isn't out to get AMD. AMD was out to get AMD. Newegg prices don't a convincing argument make. Honestly, dude, I've flamed Intel for shenanigans at a level that far exceeds yours here. They have pulled some dirty tricks and been sued by foreign governments, AMD, and the EU-and lost. I have no innate love for Team Blue. Their chips were better (after the Pentium fiasco) and even if you eliminated all their dirty tricks, AMD suffered a huge performance gap between Athlon and Ryzen. FX chips are still out there gaming and checking email and providing all the performance 95% of people need or want, but from the Core series on up Intel stomped them in outright number crunching until Ryzen-and Intel still wins IPC and core speed. That will probably change in a generation or two if they don't figure out how to beat AMD's multi threading advantage (and FX was a very good multi threading chip considering the rest of the package's shortcomings).
Anyway, I'm not hating on AMD. In the last 5 years or so I've bought or otherwise acquired a Phenom X4, Phenom X3, Athlon(2), Athlon 64, Phenom II 980 BE, FX 6350, and FX 8350. I like AMD, just not to the point of delusion.
Cheers to that Alaric :cheers: I totally agree with you here. As an owner of lets see, A Ryzen 1800x, Fx 8350, Fx 6300, Fx 8120, PII 1090T, PII 955, PII 960T, 7850k Apu at least 5 different Athlons, a bunch of Sempys, Phenom I etc as well as an I5 2500k, I7 6700k, I7 4770k a few Lga 775 chips. Real world usage I really like my AMD chips and I don't feel or see any difference in my every day usage. That said when it comes to benchmarks and gaming my Intel chips outperform the AMD chips in most cases.

OH come on I was teasing! Jess. Lighten up cupcake. I got this H7 Quad lumi for it and it does look cool. Doesn't it?
I also managed to get 4.3GHz so far all by myself NO help from anyone, Lots of TPU bullies that flamed me for VRM heat and A bad build. But here it is different or is it?
Absolutly nothing wrong with that build Trickson especially for the money. That said the VRM heat is a concern on Msi boards. I've had 2 of the same MSI boards you are using blow the VRM section when trying to overclock on it. Now that was back in 2012 when the Fx first came out so Msi may have improved the quality of the Power phase components they are using on the board, so you may be fine. If they haven't then I would definitely be cautious pushing the Fx 8xxx any further, if the VRM section does let go it could take the Cpu with it.

I even gave away an Intel chip, an Engineering Sample QX9650. I'm not sure how (if any) good it was, though. We would have to ask Mr. Scott since I never got a LGA 775 mobo to try it.

Oh My. God. :rofl:

Last edited:
Back