• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first LANfest event - Tips and suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peanutbudder

Hey Guys,

I'm attending my first LAN party in October (Sacramento Intel LANfest) and I'm looking for some advice, tips and suggestions. If anyone has been to a LAN event before what are your experiences or advice on things I should bring.

I think all my gear is good with the exception of buying a new gaming headset since my daughter destroyed my sennheiser GSP350's while playing Star Wars with my son. (They built spaceships out of cardboard boxes and were flying to a new galaxy when her ship was hit by an ION cannon and knocked her out of the sky. <-- My sons story on how they broke :)

PC:
Caselabs bullet BH7 (Lan case with handles)
6800K @4.2ghz
32GB of 2666mhz
3x 512gb SSD Samsung pro 850
GTX 1080 FE

Keyboard:
Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro

Mouse:
Steelseries sensi RAW

Headset:
I use a pair of sennheiser HD600 with no mic (I need a gaming headset before the event)

Monitor:
Dell U2515H

All my power cords and 50ft of CAT5 cable

What games should I get before the event?

My current game list
PUBG
BF3
BF4
Battlefield hardline
BF1
Rocket League
CS:GO
Star Wars battlefront
Left 4 Dead 2
Project Cars
COD MW2
COD Ghosts
GTA 5

If anyone on the forum is attending the Sacramento Intel LANfest October, 13-15 I will be at seat A7.

Have fun. Went to a couple of the Intel LanFest here in Atl, and been going to LAN's since early 90's.

Would check if there is a forum for the Sacramento's LAN's. I would expect one somewhere since they run that one pretty often. Might be able to find a team looking for another you can join. Would make meeting people and finding what games to play much easier. They should also have a list of what tourney's they are going to be running.

CS:GO should be in your library, even if you don't play it really. Its cheap, should got it during a steam sale though.

PUBG is the top game right now but I don't think you can have private servers. So its all just PUB which doesn't make for a great LAN game. They are just starting to run it as a Esport with Luminosity winning the first big tourney last month so I don't know if the LAN ability is there yet likely not.

Definitely get CoD WW2 open beta.

Check out Fortnite. The Battle Royale version is free and its a new popular one.

BF1 might show up in some play, Rocket League. Maybe some GTA 5. Sure there will be some LoL or DOTA2. Maybe Quake Champions. Some classics like Mincraft or SC2. Sure you will see some WoW'ers.

As for other stuff to bring. Add a power strip to your list. Bringing your own chair? Snacks? They may have energy drinks like Monster if its being sponsored. Need some to fuel you through these things.

Back