• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first motherboard..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayHeich

Registered
Hello,

I'm Kinda new to the o/c community, and i've got a job for the monies! Now my question is.. how do I know what good motherboard is? I know I want an AMD chip, and that I want to try to overclock it. I want to start at 1.6 ghz, but maybe get a mobo that i can upgrade? anyway, any suggestions?

I would personally suggest a mobo that is widely used in the overclocking community as this generally this suggests that a mobo is suitable for the purpose which you intend. Selecting a mobo which is in wide use will allow you to obtain help and advice easier should you require it as your kinda new to overclocking.

I personally use the Epox kha+ but the most popular makes each have there own forum section here

You should check in the motherboard sections (AMD or Intel, whichever you want to run) to get a better idea of which you like better.

Good luck!

What exactly does it mean in the comparison by "history" I see they Iwill would be an awesome Mobo for o/c if it wernt for its history. I could get lots of support for it right here... right? :eek:

originally post by jayheich:
What exactly does it mean in the comparison by "history" I see they Iwill would be an awesome Mobo for o/c if it wernt for its history. I could get lots of support for it right here... right?

if you wanna overclock the mobo i suggest the shuttle epox or the abit one it's agood mobo for overclock
if you wanna chosse shuttle try the AK35GTR VER2.2 KT333board
The Epox try the 8k3a+ kt333board
and the last one ABIT you can choose the KR7A KT266A board

I'd have to recommend the Epox 8K3A+. It is truley excellent and it's a very popular board (Epox's previous series the 8KHA+ was probably the most popular well this is the step up from it made from Epox). It has all overclocking needs although, you need very good components with it (PSU, RAM etc don't go cheap on it).

Yodums

Yodums said:
I'd have to recommend the Epox 8K3A+. It is truley excellent and it's a very popular board (Epox's previous series the 8KHA+ was probably the most popular well this is the step up from it made from Epox). It has all overclocking needs although, you need very good components with it (PSU, RAM etc don't go cheap on it).

Yodums

Is there only one version of the epox 8k3A+ ? ? ? ?

I'd recomend a board with a Via KT266A chipset, don't go for the KT333 or a KT266. Check that if you get a board with a Via chipset it is an 'A' chipset, the first versions of most via chipsets are just beta tests that blow. But the 'A' symbolises that it is a second version, usually giving better stability and o/c'ing

Good luck with whatever you buy

ive been reading about the 8K3A+ and it seems that alot of people are having problems with it! is this common? should i go for the 8KHA+ instead?

Back