• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Internet Explorer hangs for 10 seconds!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Ok, what the heck is going on. Its really driving me insane.

The problem:

Internet explorer takes 10 seconds per use. That means if you clicked on IE five times to get five dialog boxes open, they would each take 10 seconds to load up. This issue is getting worse and it just started recently after I got all this garbage (Gator software) that installed into my computer without my knowledge.

I no of no solution to my problem. And only IE does this. Normal IE loads in about 0.01 seconds (INSTANT), just a flash but I think there is some sort of timer that makes the computer idle for 10 seconds and wait for something???

OC-Master

Have you changed settings or choice of instant messaging? I know that if you remove MSMessenger without changing a certain setting in the registry IE takes a while to boot because it's looking for MSM and won't finish til the search times out. Could it be that your copy is looking fo a prog or file that isn't there and waiting to time out before proceeding?

DWolf:cool:

DreamingWolf said:
Have you changed settings or choice of instant messaging? I know that if you remove MSMessenger without changing a certain setting in the registry IE takes a while to boot because it's looking for MSM and won't finish til the search times out. Could it be that your copy is looking fo a prog or file that isn't there and waiting to time out before proceeding?

That sounds like a possibilty. I know the computer is waiting for sometin because when you look at the CPU usage or memory usage, My CPU usage is around 1% at max, and back to 0% while I have over 850MB of ram free.

OC-Master

Disputant said:
You tried running Ad-Aware yet to see if there is some other spyware hanging around on there?

no i have not, i used to have that program but lost ir and I havnt seen it yet.

UPDATE: I've tried everything and still no luck :(

Maybe there is spyware chuggin things here.

OC-Master

Double check your DNS name resolution times. If you have multiple DNS servers listed (do a C:\> ipconfig /all), it's possible the first one is failing or taking too long, and finally the second server is queried for the name.

You can check this out by doing a simple ping at your C:\> prompt: i.e.: ping www.cisco.com

If it takes a long time (say 10 seconds) to start pinging the target machine, then it looks like your DNS server isn't doing its job. It should take under a second.

Maybe a long shot, but it has happened before...

Huckleberry said:
Double check your DNS name resolution times. If you have multiple DNS servers listed (do a C:\> ipconfig /all), it's possible the first one is failing or taking too long, and finally the second server is queried for the name.

You can check this out by doing a simple ping at your C:\> prompt: i.e.: ping www.cisco.com

If it takes a long time (say 10 seconds) to start pinging the target machine, then it looks like your DNS server isn't doing its job. It should take under a second.

Maybe a long shot, but it has happened before...

Took 40ms Max and 31ms min to ping www.cisco.com

I'm so out of ideas and may be forced to format. If this is the case then I may be down for a long time because I dont got the time to reformat :(

This problem is getting worse and worse. Now, its taking 10 seconds to switch from one server to another. The computer is waiting for something but what??

Its soo bad now that on the dialog box bar at the top, Windows reports that IE is not responding for a few seconds and I cannot click on anything while IE (Only IE) hangs for a few seconds and does nothing.

say I'm at www.yahoo.com then I wanna go to www.overclockers.com, Internet explorer will freeze for 10 seconds before loading up the OC page.

This is getting way out of control. Anyone with any last thoughts?

OC-Master

Have you tried other browsers? The following is much faster than IE and has some very nice built in security features like disabling referrer logging. I use the free version.

http://www.opera.com/

Hate to see you have to reformat the whole drive if the problem is just IE and not your OS.

I agree, and if you try opera and it's not to your taste try mozilla. There are actually several free browsers out there with all the flexibility and options of the big boys, but none of the bloat (unless you want it of course;) )

Yodums said:
When was the last time you defragged?

I defrag once a week! or whenever the PC seems sluggish. I know this problem is just to great to deal with so I think I'm forced to reformat!

Thanks guyz for the support and at least trying to help with this brutal time consuming bug. I dont think anyone can cure my problem here :(

OC-Master

Are you running a firewall? Try disabling it. I had Norton Internet Security hosed up and it took about that long to load IE. All I had to do was update the security level settings in Norton and the problem went away.

JimmyG said:
Are you running a firewall? Try disabling it. I had Norton Internet Security hosed up and it took about that long to load IE. All I had to do was update the security level settings in Norton and the problem went away.

The only firewall that I have turned on is the Microsoft WindowsXP firewall which is built into the operating system. I have never had this problem before.

I think my best bet is too reformat before I loose it completely!

OC-Master

OC-Master said:

The only firewall that I have turned on is the Microsoft WindowsXP firewall which is built into the operating system. I have never had this problem before.

I think my best bet is too reformat before I loose it completely!

OC-Master

There is the first problem, I would recommend shutting that built in firewall off and forgetting that it is there. That thing is bound to cause issues and is not very secure, imo.

Try one of the following in order of beginners to novice, all three are very effective.

1. Zone Alarm (free)
2. Tiny Personal Firewall (free)
3. Kerio Firewall (Free) I use this and it is the same basic code as Tiny.

I can create much tighter rule sets with Kerio and Tiny than Zone Alarm, but if you are not comfortable with networking protocols and ports then Zone Alarm is a highly effective option.

I reformated and the problem is gone!

I still wonder what was causing that big delay. It got soo bad that every time I'd venture to a new website, the computer would hang for the 10 seconds.

I hope I dont have this problem again :(

OC-Master

Did you ever run ad-aware? Gator contains a ton of adware and if you never ran ad-aware then all the spyware was still there and most likely causing your problem. I have also found a program that noyt only gets rid of spyware but also clears cookies and history and temporary files. Another bonus is it can search your registry for outdated entries that are orphaned. (meaning the program they point to has been moved or deleted. it is called spybot and can be found here: http://security.kolla.de/

Good luck.

I was getting this exact same problem.

When IE would open it would lag for about 10-15 seconds.
Every pop-up window that came up, lagged the comp completly for 10 seconds. It was horrible!!!!

Nothing would get rid of it, so I reformated.

Back