• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My motherboard still good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matt180

Registered
Ive been using an ASUS M4N82 Deluxe since last year, It does well Never had any problems with it. Does AM3+ but only DDR2, 3 way SLI (Kinda only needing 2).

More to the point, Is this motherboard still considered good? Even though i think its outdated a bit now. And what would be the latest and greatest that has 2 way SLI, AM3+, 6 or more SATA ports.

IF I had a board that does well and I Never had any problems with it and a pretty hefty big change coming soon with AMD BullDozer...well I would wait a few more months and make the change after the newer and faster cpu and chipset are matured and then make a move. Then your money should bring a 'real' change that might reach some more into the future. But heck that is just me as I get older and see what changes in speed really produce in overall performance for so many dollars spent.

Haha... I wouldn't count on any AM3+ CPUs to support DDR2. Unless the rumor mill (the blasted thing!) has changed lately, no AM3+ CPUs will have integrated DDR2 controllers. Ergo, they will not and can not run in AM2/AM2+ motherboards. If you want to go AM3+, you will need a new motherboard anyhow.

However, nearly all AM3+ motherboards on AMD chipsets should at least have the physical capability to serve up SLI support. It'll simply be up to the motherboard manufacturers to implement it and pay their royalties to Nvidia. You can expect most of the high-end 990X and 990FX motherboards to integrate SLI support.

Back