• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Prefetch Folder Is Always Empty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

A strange thing has occured on PC I cleaned out the Prefetch Folder last Tuesday and since then it's always been empty. Unless disk clean-up empties it which is new too me is this a bad thing what's the prefetch folder for anyways.

You don't even know what PreFetch is, yet you regularly empty the folder? If you don't know what something does then don't touch it. Ask questions and learn more about it. There is no benefit in emptying the PreFetch folder on a regular basis. Stop reading misinforming "tweaking guides." This does a good job of covering why there is no benefit to cleaning the folder. If you want a correct description of how exactly PreFetch works, see here.

Check the following in the registry (Start > run > "regedit") to see if Prefetch is even enabled:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Make sure EnablePrefetcher is set to 3.

when you delete files from prefetch folder, you end up having problem like yours.

to solve your problem, you need to do 2 things:

1-make sure windows "scheduler" service is running with "automatic" mode
2- type a command on run ( i don't have this command with me at this point BUT i will give it to you tomorrow AFTERNOON if nobody here solves your problem.) Perhaps, a google search will reveal this command for you.

if you want to delete files from prefetch folder, make sure to delete ONLY *.pf files.

when you open or run any application , windows will *remember* it in a prefetch folder so that when you launch it next time, it will open FASTER.

BrutalDrew said:
You don't even know what PreFetch is, yet you regularly empty the folder? If you don't know what something does then don't touch it. Ask questions and learn more about it. There is no benefit in emptying the Prefetch folder on a regular basis. Stop reading misinforming "tweaking guides." This does a good job of covering why there is no benefit to cleaning the folder. If you want a correct description of how exactly PreFetch works, see here.

Check the following in the registry (Start > run > "regedit") to see if Prefetch is even enabled:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Make sure EnablePrefetcher is set to 3.

I know what the prefetch folder does I just asked why it's always empty and for your information I empty the folder every 2 months. If I'm going for a big clean you've got serious attitude issues my friend I didn't say anything about a stupid tweak guide I asked a simple question OK. If I remember you also snapped at when someone made a thread about Black Vipers guide if people want to use it and they see a bit in peformance. Even if it's been proven that it dosn't really do squat least your saving memory from all those stupid services which you don't require if you not on a network.

I know what the prefetch folder does

Then why did you say "what's the prefetch folder for anyways?"

I empty the folder every 2 months.

Why? There is no benefit.

If I'm going for a big clean you've got serious attitude issues my friend I didn't say anything about a stupid tweak guide I asked a simple question OK.

Most people who do stuff like cleaning the PreFetch folder read it from some "tweaking guide." Also, I don't see how I have any attitude issues by saying there is no benefit in cleaning the prefetch folder and even back up my claims with two links.

If I remember you also snapped at when someone made a thread about Black Vipers guide if people want to use it and they see a bit in peformance.

Again, I didn't "snap." I explained how services worked and proved that there is no real-world performance advntage in disabling them. There was even a topic posted here by somebody else who ran a bunch of benchmarks proving that there is no real-world performance advantage.

Even if it's been proven that it dosn't really do squat least your saving memory from all those stupid services which you don't require if you not on a network.

If the service is not being used its memory will be recliamed as needed.

There is nothing with emptying windows prefetch folder. In fact, I do that every month. The reason for me doing it is i don't want any *old* exe in this prefetch folder.

I wrote a small script to fix this problem. All you have to do is to paste below codes in a notepad or any text editor and SAVE it as nameANYTHINGyouwant.VBS

after that, click on it. Everything should be fine. It should work in WinXP

'===================================
'this script test to see if windows prefetch functions properbly

set fso=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set Runme = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

if(Not fso.FileExists("c:\windows\prefetch\WSCRIPT.EXE-32960AB9.pf"))Then

Set colServiceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service where Name='Schedule'")

For Each objService in colServiceList
Mode=objService.Change( , , , , "Automatic")
Status=objService.StartService()
Next

Runme.Run ("Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks")
end if

'===================================

There is nothing with emptying windows prefetch folder.

All you are doing by emptying the prefetch folder is temporarily hurting your systems performance for no real benefit at all.

The reason for me doing it is i don't want any *old* exe in this prefetch folder.

If the .pf file never gets used it will eventually get deleted automatically anyway. So, again, there is no benefit in emptying the prefetch directory regularly.

I provided two links that explain everything. The first one even has plenty of links to other very informative articles. I suggest both of you take a look at them.

Back