• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My quest for 3.6! [Q6600 G0]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roofles

So I'm finally done screwing around with my system getting it all set up and playing the hell out of some video games, but whats left?! Overclocking!

When I just got it, I was half heartedly ocing the system but now that I have some time on my hands, its time to try to push this thing! So the specs are:

Q6600 G0
Abit Ip35 Pro
4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper X
Tuniq Tower 120
Corsair 550HX
8800GTS (but that OC will be in a different thread)
XP Pro x64
And other stuff, but thats the important part.

So I've got all my utilities, Prime95, CoreTemp, CPUZ, Abit uGuru. And basically I'll be using Prime for immediate stress testing to make sure the comp doesn't hard lock right when I switch the FSB. I'll run a test of 3dmark06/05/03/01 once I hit a stable OC to see the difference that just the CPU made.

So yesterday I was reading through the "how to oc your..." thread and such and I was just doing the basics, threw the multiplier to 6x and started cranking the FSB. I'll note that I have not yet messed with ram timings, I left them as set by SPD. I did however bump the voltage up to rated at 2.0V. Either before or during one of the fsb runs I tried setting the timings myself but the comp would not boot for the life of me. And luckily I got fairly far before the ram crashed.

So I'll show you where I started. Basically at about 300FSB and I just went up from there. I don't have lots of pics from this but I'll toss up a couple
350FSB.jpg
So just an interim step to hit at least 400 (IE the Ram rated speed).

Next up is once I hit 400FSB
400FSBx6.jpg

From there I actually got to 440/450FSB with no real change to any voltages. I did set the CPU Vcore to 1.34V off the bat though. But remember I'm still running 6x so its really not stressing the CPU yet....

So now we hit today. I knew already from yesterday that I would have to find some good voltages because I would crash repeatedly if I just increased my fsb and didn't add more volts to more than just CPU VTT. So I'd like to thank Evilsizer from another thread as he posted some voltages he was using and I'm using a little bit below most of his volts as a starting point.

So I started with a boot fsb of 350 plus the some voltage changes. (i'll screen grab em later) threw some Prime95 In place large FFT's at it and this is what I get
350x9.jpg

So 50C on two cores and 44C on the others. I think thats not a bad temp, they idle about 37 for the hot ones and 28 for the cooler cores. 23/16 Delta C. Could be better perhaps. Basically my cut off point is about 55/57C at load or 1.4V for stability. So if I can't hit either target, I'll have to use my highest stable OC that meets said criterion.

So now I'm going to post this, and reserve the next section so in case I hard lock, I won't have to rewrite this!

Last edited:
Hey guess what! Straight shoot for 375 = hard lock! P3wp!

Well I stepped it back to 360 to see if I can edge it up there. And that worked so here is a screenie, plus it shows the voltages I'm using.
360x9.jpg

I'm edging my way there. So far it hasn't hard locked at 372, but I haven't run prime yet, so we shall see.... Yup BSOD, It does boot and will sit idle at 372. I went back and set some timings, I'll have to take a look at that later, I also upped Vcore to 1.3725. Now its prime time!

Crap it errored out. Upped Vcore a bit more, and changed MCH now I'm stable at 372. Time to test 380. If that crashes I might back down to a x8 and try to boot at 400FSB.

Idle at 380 is good, now time for Prime! Ick, crashed!

However here is 400x8! Prime stable with the voltages
400x8.jpg

Heh, you can see OCF in the background. Well time to try some 410..

415 is good. Staring to hit 51/45 C for the core temps though...

425 BSOD! So I shot for some 400x9 at 1.4Vcore and that will pass POST but crashes into Windows...

Man! I just cannot get 3.6 today! I bumped my Vcore up to 1.48 just to see if I could get it into windows and it does, but then BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION for Prime95.

So it looks like for now I'm stuck at 8x400 for 3.2. I might go up to 375x9 or 380 to see if I can hit stable 3.4 at less than 1.4V... then just run the mem at 1:1.2 or something to hit DDR1000 or better...

Actually, I'm going to try that now. Reboot!

Well. The memory is very sensitive to running async. It crashes and then won't even post at other dividers. 1:1 and 1:1.2 look to be the best, right now its 1:1.

Right now I'm sitting at 410x8 for 3280.

Just a quick update, my Stock 3Dmark06 score was 12288, my just CPU OC'd score is 14339. Wewt! Time to run the rest of the tests.

SuperPi Sub 15s (there is some odd thing where I don't get 15.23423 etc type times, anyone know why?)
3dmark06 12288 -> 14339
3dmark05 15629 -> 20051 (nearly 3 times my opty 148 rig in my sig OC'd!)
3dmark03 38771 -> 40260
3dmark01 45140 -> 54602

Last edited:
odd i missed your thread.. err im miss reading right now sorry... 3.2ghz, hmm.. imma need to sleep on this...

you folding on it? its manditory now! :soda: dont waste that power!

Last edited:
you need a version of superpi called superpi mod 1.5 from XS to get the milliseconds.

P35 boards should do 400fsb easy with a quad. your stablility issues will be due to your cpu. keep it up!

With temps that low you should go for more vcore. Also, you'll probably need to tweak some other settings to get that FSB up there more if that's the way your going. It looks like you have 400FSB stable, though, so just give it more vcore until it's happy! Mine takes 1.5125v BIOS setting (1.488v according to CPU-Z) to be stable at 3.6GHz.

hmm cant get 3.6 must be chip i run 450 x 9 right now with 1.6v winter weather is the best!!?!?

but 24/7 i run 450 x 8 1.45v in bios under load it drops to 1.42v

you need a version of superpi called superpi mod 1.5 from XS to get the milliseconds.

P35 boards should do 400fsb easy with a quad. your stablility issues will be due to your cpu. keep it up!

Yeah I hit 400 easy which is the rated speed for the memory. I'll have to find that superpi version then.

I guess I stopped just before I hit stable voltages! Crap! I'll have to put some more time in this weekend to hit 3.6. It would boot, but if I was in Windows it would sit at idle, but if I set it in bios it would crash before loading.

I could open a window and get some nice cold air in... Its something like zero around here now...

What are your guy's idle/load temps? I know I was shooting for 50/55 or less but I figure if everyone else is jumping off the bridge I will too.

I'll probably have to give it some more MCH as well. I'll update later this week!

i would count on hitting 50/55c on a [email protected], unless your using WC. even then that is a maybe, just keep the load temp 20c from the Tj in coretemp.

My Q6600 gets pretty hot for my heatsink, but I just reseated it and I'm gonna see how it goes.

a reseat wont afftect temps much on the quads. if you want to see a change lap the IHS on the cpu. :)

I think its pretty flat from the couple times I've reorientated the heatsink already, but I think its fairly subjective. At the moment though Core 0/1 are at 55 load and 2/3 are at 50.

I'm running a tuniq tower so I have a decent heatsink.

Back