• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My R9600Pro Keeps locking up... :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right here we go.

The first picture was when i was running Counter Strike: Source for about 10 minutes with 7 bots and myself.

The second picture is me running 3Dmark2003.

What do you all think? When Running CS: S There is 0.5 drop in the 12V rail. Not sure if thats anything to worry about, also, i would like to note that i do Overclock my CPU to 3200+ Speeds, i've gone back to stock while i've been doing this, but like i've said earlier, This has happened on my old computer (which had the same PSU).

Attachments

• mbm2.jpg
    mbm2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 51
  • mbm3.jpg
    mbm3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 46
The rails on your PC seem fine. Does the card do it in other machines ?

Is there any chance you could try a different psu? Not saying rush out and buy one, but a chance to try a different one?

I second that. 11.49v isn't horrific, but it's definitly questionable. I wish you had another whole setup you could test your components in. That would make it a lot easier.

You said the other rig had the same PSU... is that the actual physical PSU from this rig? Or just same model?

If you buy a new one and the problem isn't fixed, you could return it. Most local shops will allow that, at least here.

Yeah if you had a power spike that dropped the voltage down way low for just a second it could cause instability.

I third that motion. Circuit City usually has a pretty good return policy (in my area at least) and I know that they have pretty good psus. You might look them up. I know the local computer shop I have only has like 300W generic psu's that they've pulled from who knows where. Pieces of junk.

He's in U.K. But my local shops carry generic crap, and a few decent psus, so hopefully his will as well.

The PSU is the exact same phyiscal one since my motherboard died, the CPU is fine from what i could tell, i think i killed the motherboard with a static shock.

I have a PSU lying round, but its only 160watts and i don't have the money to go out and buy a new PSU, and when i say that, i mean as i have no money in the bank :p

So far, the computer has been running for 2 days without problems, but the thing is, it did this last time, sometimes it would crash straight away, sometimes it would run for like 5 days with intense gaming then bang.. it would reset. I don't believe that this could be the actual card since i don't get any artifacts or anything from it...

But also, i didn't have problems with the R9200SE, but the R9600 does draw abit more power so it is indeed questionable about the PSU.

The same goes for when i overclock the CPU, it would run great with no problems, but then just reset.. :\

I have 2 CD Rom drives, 2 Hard drives, a Graphics card, a Sound Card, the Motherboard, 3 fans(CPU, one case fan and the fan on the graphics card) And also a floppy drive..

The reason i just said the above is to show what is in the system currently.

EDIT: Just had an idea on how to put stress on the PSU to see how low it will drop...

Tonight, i'm going to overclock the CPU back upto 3200+ speeds, then i'm going to turn the voltage up aswell. But i ain't stopping there, when i get back to windows. I'll make my CD Rom drives copy information to the hard drives and make 2 very large files and send them across to each hard drive at the same time, i'm also going to fireup a game of CS: S without the bots... When this is happening i'm going to monitor the Voltages and see what happens.

The reason why i do all the above is that componets don't draw as much power as they are when they are IDE. Sounds crazy but its worth a try :p

Last edited:
You could also try the reverse... Only run your system drive, open the side and lose a fan or 2, 1 cdrom and then loop 3dmark and prime or something to stress. That way you will see if you just reached the max on that psu.

I'm kind of leaning that way...

The old 9200 runs fine in the system, right?

If so, you are looking at either the vid card or the psu, and with 11.49 under load on your 12v rail, I'd be willing to bet it's the PSU. Check to see if you can return/rma/have ther psu replaced by the retailer as well..

Right, i tried it your way slightly, i downloaded and installed Prime95. My Voltage dropped to 11.61v, I wasn't stressing it enough for me to eliminate the PSU, so i got 4 DVD movies in Zip files and sent 2 one hard drive and another 2 on the other drive, back and forward. It was still 11.61c, so i fired up 3Dmark while i was doing all of this and i let Wings Of Fury Play through... then i quit 3Dmark03. I checked the Voltages again and it reported that my voltage fell to 11.48v. What do you all think?

Hrmmm I dunno,my +12v rail sits at about +11.73v and I don't have any issues with my power, I"m using a 400w thermaltake silent... this is a rather peplexing problem indeed :S

Well, the only thing I could suggest is to try a different PSU. This has me stumped :confused:

Th0r said:
Right, i tried it your way slightly, i downloaded and installed Prime95. My Voltage dropped to 11.61v, I wasn't stressing it enough for me to eliminate the PSU, so i got 4 DVD movies in Zip files and sent 2 one hard drive and another 2 on the other drive, back and forward. It was still 11.61c, so i fired up 3Dmark while i was doing all of this and i let Wings Of Fury Play through... then i quit 3Dmark03. I checked the Voltages again and it reported that my voltage fell to 11.48v. What do you all think?
You nailed it there!!!
Everything was cpu and non-video intensive until you ran 3dmark. When you did, your rail dropped to 11.48v. Your vid card is pulling your unstable 12v rail down...I'm now leaning even more towards PSU.

Goateh, your constant 11.73 is O.K., but keep in mind he is reading 11.48 with software. If he used a multimeter it may be even lower, as bioses tend not to be accurate with reporting voltages, so the variance in your case might not get it low enough, but his may. Also, mobos act differently, even with same model boards.

Try another psu if you can get the dough. If you can't, it doesn't matter anyway, but if you can get the dough and its not the problem, you can get your money back.

Also, your TT is pretty stable.. I had same voltage with my 420w TT until I upped the pot.

Last edited:
Right, i'm also leaning towards the PSU now aswell, look at the picture above.

I am currently running ATi Tool and overclocking the GPU core, its currently at 450Mhz, then suddenly, there is a huge drop in the +12v line to 11.37v.

Also another thing, ATi Tool stutters and slows down the computer, so i stopped the overclock and the Cube was going around just fine, then it started stuttering again and the +12 (which was at 11.73v before it stutted) went to 11.49v.

So whats everyone's thought about this?

Attachments

• mbm6.jpg
    mbm6.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 18
Back