• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My WC temps are a little high dont ya think? Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
87c on LINX w/ 1.325v really isnt too bad with only a 120.2 radiator. The radiator is killing you, trust me. I thought 120.2 was OK but a 120.3 really helped temps along.

Also, some chips just run hotter than tohers, regardless of vcore. How is your loop setup? That can also make a difference (a few degrees).

Also, whats your ambient?

Pump outlet > inlet of CPU block > outlet of CPU block > radiator left side to right side > out the radiator to inlet of reservoir > outlet of reservoir > inlet of pump

Ambient is about 72 F

You just don't have enough rad. It's been common knowledge since the release of the i7. You run massive overclocks, you need a 120.3. Simple enough.

How much wattage do you think your creating? What is the capability of the rad with your current fans. Please take the time and look at the tests on Skinnes and martins pages, you'll see soon enough.

Hey I do get PM's but besides that, can someone answer my other question?

Why is it that i7's on air have a better cooling than I do with the same or GREATER OC's?!? makes me want to sell all this WC stuff and get a nice air cooler lol

Accept PM's BlkCamaro :) You arent accepting them. I have a 120.2 radiator if you were interested in more rad :)
There is no selling outside the classifieds. Wait until the man has the three more posts, assuming he is email compliant. Don't jeapordize your own access, it's not worth it. I know you're just trying to help him out, but it's definitely not allowed. (Doz fixed his post. Thanks! :) )
Why is it that i7's on air have a better cooling than I do with the same or GREATER OC's?!? makes me want to sell all this WC stuff and get a nice air cooler lol
As said before, probably because you don't have enough radiator. That said, even with the rad you do have, your temps should be better than what you're getting and at least on par with a decent air cooler. How are you applying your TIM? I know you've reapplied several times, so don't go pulling it off. How is it being applied? How are you cleaning it in between applications?

Does your CPU happen to be lapped? (GTZ will not be effective on a lapped CPU.) Have you cut out the fan grilles on the HAF? Those holes just don't allow enough airflow through them for effective cooling. I'd cut them out completely. Not the aesthetic cover (though that wouldn't hurt if you don't mind a hole in the top of your case), but the grilles in the case metal itself.

Last edited:
86c @ 1.325 with the setup he has is decent though for the clocks hes running with LINX. Thats not really that far out there at all. I was pushing the same thing with my 120.2. Its just not enough radiator for large overclocks on i7. Also, is HT on? If you turn that off, you could drop another 6-8c and see no loss in performance.

Wow, the MCR320 must be better than I thought. @ 3.8GHz, 1.317v, HT on I'm getting 62-65C folding, 65-67C under LINX. That's with a GPU in the loop (older, and idle, so not contributing much heat, but it's still there). His clocks are higher, but the voltage isn't very much higher.

Wow, the MCR320 must be better than I thought. @ 3.8GHz, 1.317v, HT on I'm getting 62-65C folding, 65-67C under LINX. That's with a GPU in the loop (older, and idle, so not contributing much heat, but it's still there). His clocks are higher, but the voltage isn't very much higher.

It is a great rad for sure, but I think there is something more at work with this issue.

My i7 920 was probably the worst one ever made and needed 1.5v for 4Ghz but even at that speed it bumped 79-80C with a single MCR220 + an Apogee GTZ and a D5 with Scythe S-Flex F's at 12v.

MCR-320 is pretty good, especially from a price standpoint. I just loaded up LINX yesterday w/ 3 low speed yates, mounted on the back (which let me tell you is FAR from optimal, I have case air from the top fan, and GPU air for the middle fan) and I was loading LINX at 67c (highest core) with a 25c ambient temp, heatsoaked of course @ the clocks/voltages below. When folding, I barely hit 60c (same with gaming). P95 will hit about 62c.

Wow, the MCR320 must be better than I thought.

I was the same way until I used it. I used to put this rad up with the thin Black Ice rads and had to have the PA 120.3. Don't knock it until you try it. My temps were good with one MCR320, they are really good with two. I think the IC-7 I'm using now may have a little to do with it too.

Last edited:
Back