• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00bs question on network cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mofei1

atm i am using a crossover cable to connect pc to pc directly and was thinking of installing a adsl modem/router. the router has a usb interface and a rj-45 interface and can be used simultaneously. so from this, it means that the modem/router connects to my computer via usb and the other through ethernet. would i beable to use the cross over cable to connect the other computer to it or will i have to purchase a cat 5 patch cable??

oh btw, i know i can keep my existing network setup (pc to pc) but the reason for the router is so that i can have either computer connnected to the internet without needing both to be on

thx in advance

Last edited:
i think you will have to get a cat5 cable ... the crossover just switches the wires around for such instances of connecting pc to pc ... a router on the other hand has the input for ethernet already switched .. therefore it wont work ..

test it out for your self .. try to use just the ethernet connection ... for one pc .. you wont get response ...

as far as i know you cant use both he USB and the enternet from the modem - it is one or the other - and i suggest the rj45 jack

now, your router might have an "auto sensing" feature which wont matter if you havea cross over or not, best way is to try it out.

should be

modem ----> router----> computers
.........................-----> computers

Mr.Guvernment said:
as far as i know you cant use both he USB and the enternet from the modem - it is one or the other - and i suggest the rj45 jack

now, your router might have an "auto sensing" feature which wont matter if you havea cross over or not, best way is to try it out.

should be

modem ----> router----> computers
.........................-----> computers

Actually with some you can use both, but I would not do it that way. Go modem (straight cat5)>>> Router >>>(straight cat5) computers

Mr.Guvernment the modem router is a safecom SAMR-4110. i have read many reviews saying that u can use the usb and ethernet ports together. i hope that this is the case. and thx for the replies, now i have to re-wire my house lol

mofei1 said:
Mr.Guvernment the modem router is a safecom SAMR-4110. i have read many reviews saying that u can use the usb and ethernet ports together. i hope that this is the case. and thx for the replies, now i have to re-wire my house lol

I will say it for the second time. Don't do it. Just use the RJ-45 to the router then go from the router to the computers.

Now I might be a littlle confused. Is your modem seperate from your router? If it is two units you might have to set your modem to bridge mode to make it easier to use the seperate router. If it is the same unit (modem, Router) how many rj-45 ports does it have? Either way you would be better off even if it has only one rj-45 port to connect a switch to it then to the computers from the switch.

it only has one rj-45 port, but if this doesnt work out i will get a switch

rite ok i have jus found a modem router wiv 1 RJ-11 port, 1 usb port, and 4 ethernet ports. will this work if i connect the phone line into the RJ-11 port and two computers thru ethernet??

The reason I recomend that is because it just adds more complication than is needed not even to mention having to install drivers for the modem/router. I have to assume the router and modem are the same box even though you did not answer my question.

Edit: now I am even more confused. Do you have this equipment or are you still looking for what to get? Do you have broadband already? If so what modem do you have? You can always plug a regular router into the modem if you already have one.

rite to simplify this, i currently have a 1mb internet connection from wanadoo (uk) and using a alcatel speedtouch usb modem that came with it. i am looking for a modem which i found and has a built in router (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449)

if i replace the speedtouch modem with the modem/router will it work>?? as i mentioned earlier, the modem/router has 1 usb port, 1 rj-11 port and 4 ethernet ports. so all i would have to do is connect cable from rj-11 to the microfilter and connect the two computers using 2 ethernet ports? and then run settings. is this correct?

the reason y i want the router is so that i dont need both computers to be on in order for the other computer to access the internet. the router should be connected 24/7 and will no longer require me to connect to the internet every time i shut down the computer.

and thx for the quick replies

Just get a regular router or wireless router if you need or will need in the near future ( you can turn off wireless part until you need it) and do it like this:

Modem >>> Router >>> Computers

all with regular cat5.

lol u still dont get me. the modem router is together in one box, the one on the link. dont worry i know how to get it to work, turns out to be i aint such a n00b afterall

i dont want to use my current modem as that means that i will need to have a dedicated computer for the other to go online. with the modem/router provided in the link, i will no longer need a dedicated computr

mofei1 said:
i dont want to use my current modem as that means that i will need to have a dedicated computer for the other to go online. with the modem/router provided in the link, i will no longer need a dedicated computr

This is where you are confused. Just adding a router will do exactly what you want. As long as your modem now has a rj-45 port .

rite i get ya, i dont need my current modem ne more as there is a built in modem on that router, and plus my current modem doesnt have ethernet port, only rj 11 and usb interface for connecting to the computer.

Ahh then, that is a good reason to want to get them both in one box. I have just had better luck with keeping those two things seperate. Did you buy the modem you are using now? If not and it is from the cable company then call em up and see if they will switch it out for one with an rj-45 connector then all you would have to buy is a router which will be cheaper than buying a modem/router.

that modem/router is fairly cheap, infact cheaper than the modem that i have now, so no worries.

Back