• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAT sever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxPower

How hard is it to configure a nat server!?!? I need a way to share my dsl line between 2 possibly 3 machines. Can the Nat server also be used as a workstation as well. Because i have some older hardware lying around which is still pretty beefy (800MHz t-bird,20GB HD, GF2GTS,Soyo KT133 MB, etc).

Next question is which OS can i use!?!? Funds are limited so if i could get a free OS that would be a big help. So probably linux or BSD are about the only ones. Right!?!? Lastly, would this min-network have to be set up in a domain, or is it possible to configure them into a workgroup?

You can use ICS (internet connection sharring) which is included in windows OS'..I believe from 98 on up. This is more of a TCP/IP spoofing technique rather than true NAT but I have been using it for a while and can't complain.

The only thing you would need to add would be a second NIC card in your primary connection box. Not sure if this is the solution you're looking for but it certaintly is cheap and easy.

Redhat 7.2 and use ip_forward. Free and simple. I use it where I work to connect over 100 PC's to the Internet using one external IP, all the internal IP's are 192.168.x.x.

- Fade

What would be more practical, a nat server or the ics solution!?!? It's not a very big network at all.

And why is it that everyone uses the 192.168.x.x as their internal ip!!? My internal is infact not that as default. This might sound like a noob question, well because it is. But how do i change my internal ip, or do i just do that by going into My network places>> then into my network adapter icon>> then go into tcpip properties
!?!? And what determines what ip address you pick, could youjust pick anything!?!? (internal i'm talking about here) oh yeah just to let you know, i do know alittle bit about subnet masking. And how to configure to only allow a minimal # of networks and clients. or is it just better to use the default being that for a class c is 255.255.255.0

MaxPower said:
And why is it that everyone uses the 192.168.x.x as their internal ip!!? My internal is infact not that as default. This might sound like a noob question, well because it is. But how do i change my internal ip, or do i just do that by going into My network places>> then into my network adapter icon>> then go into tcpip properties
!?!? And what determines what ip address you pick, could youjust pick anything!?!? (internal i'm talking about here) oh yeah just to let you know, i do know alittle bit about subnet masking. And how to configure to only allow a minimal # of networks and clients. or is it just better to use the default being that for a class c is 255.255.255.0

192.168.x.x is set aside specifically for this reason. No one on the Internet can use this IP. There are a bunch if IP's that are reserved for one reason or another, 192.168.x.x is only one of them. As long as your computer isn't actually on the Internet you can use whatever IP you want.

You have the right way to change your IP too.

Winroute

Use windows 2000 and Winroute. I use winroute at home and it's really, really nice.

Tyler

Back