• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Socket A alternative, requirements inside.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I recently purchased one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-153&depa=0

It has been nothing but trouble and I may need to RMA it soon.

What I need is a Socket A board with the following features:

200MHZ stability, NF2 Ultra 400
Preferably a thermal diode reader
ATX12V
Overclocking nice but not required
Mobile Barton compatibility.
SATA

I had an A7N8X which was rock solid for me until I broke it (don't ask). I could get another one if need be but the power reg system is very weak on it for OCing. And it doesn't unlock the >13x multis.

I was looking at this refurb as a replacement:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-138R&type=Refurbished

Feedback on mainboard refurbs would be nice, but how is that board in general? Are there any others I should look at? I am on a <$100 budget as well.

if your into risk then go for it.. the board itself is an awesome one !! excellent performer/oc'er.. good price too.

its hard telling though if a guy sent it back and said i dont want it, i want XXX board instead. well he may have killed it already and not telling the whole story.. and that leads to a nightmare for others buying refurbed stuff.. i heard many different stories on how refurbed stuff is handled...

they re-stock as refurbed:
if an exchange is wanted for a different item ( they cant sell item new twice)
if a item is refunded (cant sell item new twice)
*both the above options are inlcuded if any pieces are missing too. manual, cd, floppy disk, the mobo/case back panel, a ide cable, etc...

all doa's and damaged boards returned from manufacturer for re-sale.

you got a 1/3 chance*

*but that would really depend on how many they have, who claimed what for returning it ..

oh i forgot to add if you have the time.. you could order it from egg and send to dfi if it is bad .. they will most likely send you a new one..

and you may or may not have got all the stuff in the packaging from egg to begin with ..

I've had good luck with refurbs from newegg. One didn't work(Dead BIOS), called them up shipped it back, complained a bit about wasting my time trouble shooting it, and they gave me a $6.00 credit for the shipping. They probably don't do that often, but your worst case scenario is your out $6.00 to UPS it back.

I may have figured out how to stabilize my DFI board, so I may not need to ship it back. It all depends how it reacts to a 2x256 pair of BH5 stuffed in it.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it is hit and miss for refurb boards then, but also the choices for decent socket A boards is dwindling too.

egg is excellent with returning stuff.. if i ever get doa or damged stuff i always get refunded shipping back to them and i have them upgrade return shipping to overnight !!

the key is to be nice !! explain how much you love them and how much you really need your part ..lol

Back