• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice, want to get off stock cpu heatsink/fan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a damn good fan, good choice.

Before you start OCing to 4ghz immediately though, I really suggest you torture test your CPU at a lower clock first and make sure you can take the heat. The last thing you'd want is that i7 burning up on you and being down $1000 or however much Intel's overpricing those things now. Anyway, I suggest you start with maybe a 10-20% OC, download and run Prime95, and torture test your CPU. Basically what that does is a whole bunch of computing, enough to have all your cores running full 100% for a very long time. Most torture/stress tests can take up to 6 hours, so you'll wanna start one up before you go to bed preferably and check on it in the morning. You can set a CPU temp for your whole computer to auto-shutoff so you don't run the risk of a very costly overheat, and by stress testing beforehand, you're ensuring that it won't happen during some power computing/gaming later.

If you knew all that, sorry, I read the first post, skimmed the rest, and figured maybe I could help. Good luck!

Thanks WayOut, I knew I should do some torture testing but I never used prime95 and never done it before. So I only had some insite on it.

Since the 920 is stock at 2.66ghz, I think ill OC it to 3.4ghz and run the prime95 for a while. After that ill push it to 4.0ghz and try again. All at stock voltages since I heard that stock is good for a 4.0ghz in most cases. Ill mess with voltages once Im at 4.0 if it is unstable. If my i7 920 is a good chip, I might be able to OC it to 4.2ghz, it is a D0 stepping and I heard those do really well usually. But my goal is 4.0ghz :p

PS Is there a way to rename the title of my thread?

It's not the best idea to mess with the voltage of your CPU unless you've got a really stable OC. I've never messed with my voltage mostly because I'm not sure how (I've only been working with comps since late August) but I do know that it's a pretty dangerous thing to do, but can work wonders if you pull it off right.

haha :p

Well I thought that it would be odd to change its name cause then people would jump in here expecting something else. So I might just start a new thread, what you think?

Otherwise, change it to something like, "My first time off stock cooling! Megahalem Review"

Yeah, I could change it to that, but I think starting a fresh thread would be better. That way you start off with a fresh thread to post your impression in at the top of the thread, instead of it being buried way down in the bottom of the thread. But either way is cool and I can change the thread title with no problems. :)

Ya, ill make a fresh thread... For now Ill throw this link in here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=6308218#post6308218

It leads to the intel cpu section of the forums of a thread I made asking about OCing a i7 920 D0 stepping CPU. I constantly been reading the various different settings people put their D0's to, so I would want to get an idea of where to start at and how to go about it.

This thread out be a great place to discuss your thoughts you posted earlier WayOut.

3. What cooling would you suggest to replace the cpu stock cooling heatsink/fan to acheive a nice OC? And is it hard to install install these cooling solutions?
I really love my Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme however I've her very good thing about Megahalems. As far as fans go with some 250+ CFM delta 120x120x38MM fans but make sure they are the only thing on that power rail.

4. Do all cooling cpu heatsinks come with thermalpaste or is that something you need to purchase seperately?
IC Diamond 7 is some amazing stuff. I'm so susprised to see that more people here don't mention this to others. Same setup fans, case, same day, ambient temps, heatsink ect ect and I've seen as much as a 5-9ºC drop in temps using it. Please note you're results may vary.

3. What cooling would you suggest to replace the cpu stock cooling heatsink/fan to acheive a nice OC? And is it hard to install install these cooling solutions?
I really love my Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme however I've her very good thing about Megahalems. As far as fans go with some 250+ CFM delta 120x120x38MM fans but make sure they are the only thing on that power rail.

4. Do all cooling cpu heatsinks come with thermalpaste or is that something you need to purchase seperately?
IC Diamond 7 is some amazing stuff. I'm so susprised to see that more people here don't mention this to others. Same setup fans, case, same day, ambient temps, heatsink ect ect and I've seen as much as a 5-9ºC drop in temps using it. Please note you're results may vary.

Hehe, you didnt read past the first post, did u? :p

hey Mudd, Im planning on using the line method for applying my thermal paste, do u by chance know which way to make the line go for best results?

I believe across the cores is ideal but I don't know which way that is and what to use as a reference, maybe that small triangle at a corner of the chip can be used as reference.

My guess would be that the cores are horizontal when you orient the chip so that the triangle is on the top left??? Then you make a horizontal line of paste there?

Zonnza, since I don't have an i7 system I'm perhaps not the person to ask this to. I have always had good luck with the "pea sized TIM in the middle" application with my LGA775 and my AM2+ systems though. You might look at Arctic Silver's website and look at their application guide page, which shows the way they recommend for the "line" type application method for i5 and i7.

I found that site earlier today, i also went around googling it and seeing what others did; but i think ill do it like it says in the guide.

Should I use my spare washers when installing the megahalems mounting system? I think it would hurt instead of help cause it would lossen how tight the cooler is on the cpu.

Back