• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need air cooler advice for new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jqpdev

Hello all...

Its been a long time since I've built a PC. I'm looking for advice on an air cooler for my new rig. I have (or should have in a few days):
- Thermaltake Chaser A71 Full Tower (have already)
- Core i5-4670k Haswell socket 1150 CPU
- Asus Maximus VI Formula (RoG) motherboard

I ordered a Zalman CNPS9900 D/F CPU cooler, but the install is a nightmare and I'm concerned that excessive downward force is needed to mount the heatsink/fan product to the motherboard. The Zalman is already RMA'd. I chose the 9900 D/F because I've been quite pleased with my old CNPS9700 LED in my current rig.

I'm looking for an air CPU cooler that:
- performs well (performance is >= CNPS9900 D/F and >= CNPS9700 LED)
- is relatively quiet
- is relatively easy to install/uninstall (does not require Herculean strength)
- fits the Maximus VI Formula motherboard and Chaser A71 case
- does not block my RAM sockets (currently using 2x G.Skill Rip Jaws X Series)
- does not block my PCIe slots
- is relatively easy to maintain/keep clean
- is <= $80 US (before mail-in rebates or discounts)

The Chaser A71 case manual says that the CPU cooler height must be < 160 mm. The dimensions on the CNPS9900 D/F are 140-L x 110-W x 154-H (mm). The above dimensions are near perfect in regard to not blocking RAM sockets or PCIe slots.

I've avoided water cooling because I don't want to spend the money for an expensive custom water cooling solution and don't want to entertain the management requirements. Pre-built water cooling solutions seem attractive but I don't want the risk of a leak due to product failure (and all products fail eventually). Also, I'm a total newb when it comes to setting up water cool systems. Yes, I'm being very picky.

Here are links to CNPS9900 D/F and CNPS9700 LED product pages, and a link to my build:

CNPS9900 D/F --> http://zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=607
CNPS9700 LED --> http://zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=164
My Parts List --> http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jqpdev/saved/3eqt

So far it looks like the T40 Respire, the Noctua NH-U14S, and the Hyper 212 Evo's height are above the limitations of my case. The Noctua NH-D14 blocks RAM slots.

Anyone have suggestions/recommendations for a better cooler?

This is generally accepted to be the best air cooler on the market. It is fully compatible with your motherboard, and the ram will not be in the way (I have the same RAM).

Newegg link

You say you avoid AIO coolers due to breakage. While your fears are valid, usually the pump itself breaks before you actually have a leak anywhere. The all-in-one liquid cooling, in my opinion, is sometimes easier (No big burly heatsink to get in the way, plenty of RAM clearance) and safer (No glancing force on the motherboard, no sharp edges on the heatsink) than an Air Cooling solution. The AIO solution isn't terribly complex to set up either, most have you exchange a few brackets and then screw in the water block and some fans and you're done.

The only reason why I say this is that you:
1. Want RAM clearance
2. Don't want a hassle (although some AIO can be a hassle)
3. Already feel AIO cooling is attractive
4. Don't want massive downward forces applied to the motherboard and i5
All of which an AIO can suit you perfectly. The only thing you'd need to worry about is radiator space and where to put your hoses (usually not much of an issue).

That said, if you're completely bent on air then Darknecron's option above works fine.

Well that's unfortunate.
Have you watched any Linus Tech tips videos? They routinely review heatsinks and do build guides with them, go check some of those out.

I have an Arctic Freezer i30 That did justice. It may not clear your case though... All though RAM clearance was an issue.

EDIT: That won't fit your case. Look at Linus Tech Tips, you'll probably find something they recommend useable.

If the heat sink height is 158/159 that doesn't account for the height of the CPU once its installed in the socket. You guys are correct that it is going to be a tight squeeze.

I don't know if Thermaltake's < 160mm cooler height limitation factors in the CPU + cooler height. I would hate to install a cooler only realize that I can't close the case.

What do you guys recommend for All-in-One water coolers? The Chaser A71 manual has a section for installing a 240mm radiator toward the top of the case, which requires the removal of the top fan.

Also, would damage from a leak coming from an All-in-One water cooler void the motherboard warranty?

I have 2 of the corsair H100i's on 2 different systems and they work great, not as good as a custom loop but better than air.

Thanks for the replies gents. I contacted Thermaltake's customer support and they said the 158 and 159 mm heatsinks will fit and there should be no problems with the cooling units being very close the case window. The < 160mm height limitation takes into account of the processor and socket.

I was unable to reach Zalman's tech. support and they haven't responded to my email message. While looking at several coolers I checked out the Zalman Reserator 3 Max. The Reserator 3 Max product looks really good and the advertised features/design looks promising. However, I don't have the confidence to buy the product without sufficient performance testing by trustworthy reviewers such as this site. I really enjoyed Zalman's past products, I like the radial design, and they *had* me as a loyal customer, but I've lost some trust in them from my CNPS9900 D/F experience.

I really don't think that after-market heatsink products should require excessive force or compressive force to make a proper contact between heatsink and CPU IHS. IMHO, an example of the amount of force that should be needed to install an after-market heatsink (and the ease of installation) is demonstrated in the Cooler Master Seidon 120M install video:

From my experience the CNPS9900 D/F required way more force to secure and start the mounting screws than displayed in the above video. Once all four of the CNPS9900 D/F's mounting screws are started then it becomes a matter of time/patience to finish the mounting job. However, I aborted because it felt as though I was crushing the CPU. I stopped because its not worth the risk of damaging components or the cooling product.

While looking into air cooling products I'm also considering the Cooler Master's and Corsair's All-In-One water cooling products. Currently, Newegg is out of stock on many of the Cooler Master, Corsair, and Noctua models. I know that Corsair's AIO WC products tend to be highly recommended and rated above Cooler Master's competing products. However, does anyone have an opinion on Corsair AIO vs Cooler Master AIO?

Last edited:
Back