• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Confirmation on BSEL pad mod for e4300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Taped that way suggests that person incorrectly thinks that BSEL[0:2] are inputs to the CPU rather than outputs to the motherboard.

yup its looking like connecting BSEL 1 to 2 will give you 1066 strap...

EDIT: i was also looking at some woodcrest 51XX series xeon series data sheets... a BSEL setting of Low Low Low acording to a xeon data sheet is 266fsb (same as e4300) and seems as how the woodcrest's come in a 333fsb flavor they also have the BSEL settings for 333 or 1333strap!... it would be Hight Low Low... a e4300 @ 333fsb = 3ghz... to bad the board wont strap to that along with many other boards...

Last edited:
My local AutoZone did not have any window defogger repair paint. They have a repair kit but the liquid color is brown, not silver (also had an adhesive liquid and a cleaning liquid). I wasn't too sure about getting a brown color paint so I balked. It was mentioned above that using a conductive silver pen would not work. Is there any specific reason for that? My local RadioShack has the conductive silver pen in stock. If using the silver paint is the only option, I'd have to order it online.

doh0000 said:
My local AutoZone did not have any window defogger repair paint. They have a repair kit but the liquid color is brown, not silver (also had an adhesive liquid and a cleaning liquid). I wasn't too sure about getting a brown color paint so I balked. It was mentioned above that using a conductive silver pen would not work. Is there any specific reason for that? My local RadioShack has the conductive silver pen in stock. If using the silver paint is the only option, I'd have to order it online.

Heyo,

I once had to repair a defroster line in a minivan, and I believe they always come in that darkish brown color. Either way, the mixture is a very good electrical line.

I was actually going to do the mod this evening but instead I had a hell of a time flashing the darn thing. No black CD's in the house, no working floppy drives, and a bunch of broken floppy discs. I ended up having to make trips back to my house to get all the things I needed. I got it to flash eventually but had to leave because my mom had to work at 5:30AM, and I did not want to disturb her.

Too bad.

Even worse I am going to be gone for the weekend to a retreat in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Maybe someone will get to the mod before I will :)

Bryan d

That board WILL work for the 1066FSB. It will NOT work for 800FSB. There is NO AGP/PCI Lock.

Goodluck!

ps2cho said:
That board WILL work for the 1066FSB. It will NOT work for 800FSB. There is NO AGP/PCI Lock.

Goodluck!

Why not at 800FSB? The default setting is at 800FSB for E4300 & the board works fine at that setting. Do you mean 1333FSB?

Well, today is THE DAY for me to try this mod. I'll pick up the defogger repair kit on the way home this afternoon. Does anyone know the defogger repair paint can be removed if I goof up? Use rubbing alcohol for removal?

doh0000 said:
Why not at 800FSB? The default setting is at 800FSB for E4300 & the board works fine at that setting. Do you mean 1333FSB?

Well, today is THE DAY for me to try this mod. I'll pick up the defogger repair kit on the way home this afternoon. Does anyone know the defogger repair paint can be removed if I goof up? Use rubbing alcohol for removal?

the stuff from radioshack can be removed with zippo and nail varnish remover.

ps2cho.. the board will work @ 10-15% over any defalt FSB you can get the CPU to boot to with this mod and overclocking without a PCI/AGP/PCIe lock

No go. Connecting BSEL 1 to BSEL to 2 had no effect on the FSB whatsoever.

A weird thing is before the pin mod, I couldn't set the FSB to 266 in CMOS (no boot) but now setting at 266 boots fine but the FSB remains at 200.

I'll post the pics. later.

How did you measure that the FSB is 200 MHz with the pin mod and the BIOS set to 266?

atlr said:
How did you measure that the FSB is 200 MHz with the pin mod and the BIOS set to 266?

CPU-Z will show the FSB. Also used RMClock, Everest, & Intel Thermal Analysis to check the figures. Currently, it's at 230 set via BIOS. 265 will not boot up. 266 will boot but at 200 as previously mentioned.

the only other pins you can use to "ground" that pin is by connection to a "VSS" pin. that would require using thin wires.

if one of them is "low" then yes by connecting them it should work. though im wondering if he should just connect all three pins with the "defrogger kit". bit odd it didnt work. i take it this was on the ECS mobo?

Yes, it's the ECS motherboard from Fry's combo deal. Still no luck w/ the defogger repair paint. I've given up.

Edit:Successful Pin Mod

This guy got it to boot at 266 default w/ the correct pin mod. He's running it at 300.

Last edited:
Finally a Success!!!

Following the instructions on the link I've posted above, my E4300 booted at 266 (default BIOS settings). I'll post pics. soon. (but I'm also busy watching the Bears...)

EDIT: Ok, here are the pics. (1) Desktop showing the fsb info. (2) failed attempt by connecting only BSEL 1 & 2, (3) successful result by connecting BSEL 1 to VSS

desktop1lv5.jpg

failedwt2.jpg

success1xz8.jpg

Last edited:
Back