• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help,in overclocking c2d e4500(200mhz) on P5G41T-M-LX,is +250mhz possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

embryoma

so im trying to get this cpu overclock @ +250mhz cpu fsb, but to my regret it only boots till 260mhz, until "windows loading screen" n crashes/restarts at "starting windows screen". that is wats happening n now 4 some specs :

processor : intel e4500 & stock heatsink+fan
motherboard: asus P5G41T-M-LX
ram: single module strontium evm 4gb ddr3 1333
psu: Zebronix 600 watts

Last known stable BIOS config. :-

JUMPERFREE SETTINGS

pci/pcie clock = enabled [wat is this thing ? ]

overclocking = manual
cpu freq = 250
dram freq = 1000mhz [options : auto/1000mhz]
pci express freq = 100
memvolt = auto
nb volt = auto
vtt volt = auto [wat is this thing ? ]
cpu vcore = auto [options +50/100/150mV]
auto psi = enabled [wat is this thing ? ]

CPU CONFIG

raito cmos setting = auto
c1e support = enabled
max cpuid value limit = disabled
intel virtualization tech = enabled
cpu tm function = enabled
excute disable bit capability = enabled
intel speedstep = enabled

this thing wont even budge a single cycle above 250 mhz , also dram:fsb = 2:1 cant get the option for 10:6, i guess its for base fsb of 200mhz.

i have tried volts till breaking pts( i.e. till the end of the yellow region with NB, VTT) n max vcore of +150mV did not change any mem volts.

what exactly is stopping me 4m moving ahead, what am i doing wrong n how to overclock further ?

Attachments

• spec.JPG
    spec.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 876
Last edited:
dram freq = 1000mhz [options : auto/1000mhz << IF that is your only listing for ram speed options, then you have likely reached the end of the road for overclocking since raising the FSB from 200 to 250 has overclocked the ram as well and likely has over-speeded the ram beyond its working limit.

You could try adding a little voltage to the ram to try to get it to run a little faster. You might try loosening the ram timings for a little more ram speed. But there is no assurance such voltage or loosening will allow ram to run faster. Trial and error alone will tell the tale.

Oh sure, you can try raising the cpu voltage and see if you can get to 255FSB. Just going to be trial and error on that weak for max overclock type motherboard and chipset.

Please don't start threads w/ the same subject matter in multiple forums, as all it does is cause confusion. As such I deleted the identical thread you started in the Intel MB forum. Thanks... redduc900

Please don't start threads w/ the same subject matter in multiple forums, as all it does is cause confusion. As such I deleted the identical thread you started in the Intel MB forum. Thanks... redduc900

i wasnt sure if it was an issue with the cpu or mb , n yes it wudv created some confusion ... thanks a lot 4 ur help in this matter

dram freq = 1000mhz [options : auto/1000mhz << IF that is your only listing for ram speed options, then you have likely reached the end of the road for overclocking since raising the FSB from 200 to 250 has overclocked the ram as well and likely has over-speeded the ram beyond its working limit.

Yep thats all the options i get : auto/800 @base 200fsb then auto/1000 after overclocking @ 250fsb.
However i dont understand "over-speed", because the RAM is rated @1333mhz.
Shudn i rather say that the RAM is underclocked as 1333mhz is its ceiling.

You could try adding a little voltage to the ram to try to get it to run a little faster. You might try loosening the ram timings for a little more ram speed. But there is no assurance such voltage or loosening will allow ram to run faster. Trial and error alone will tell the tale.

I will try n overvolt the RAM.
Its rated @1.5V so should i change AUTO n start with 1.5V n slowly increment ?
How do i loosen the RAM timings ? Which parameters should i manipulate ?

Oh sure, you can try raising the cpu voltage and see if you can get to 255FSB. Just going to be trial and error on that weak for max overclock type motherboard and chipset.

Did that too, changed vcore from 1.18Vmin to 1.33Vmax [Vmax being the max the MB will allow me for this cpu, nothing really happens, cant get a stable run, by even a single clock cycle]. MY guess vcore aint the bug.

I just need 20 more base clock cycles to avoid insomnia :argue:

Shudn i rather say that the RAM is underclocked as 1333mhz is its ceiling.
Yes missed that detail. DDR1000 is underclocked for DDR1333.

How do i loosen the RAM timings ? Which parameters should i manipulate ?
Doubt loosening ram trimings will help since ram is underclocked.

Did that too, changed vcore from 1.18Vmin to 1.33Vmax [Vmax being the max the MB will allow me for this cpu, nothing really happens, cant get a stable run, by even a single clock cycle]. MY guess vcore aint the bug.Sometimes the chipset has a "hole" in it and takes a few ticks to get back on track. Try 261 or 263. Or maybe 256. Try some odd FSB like that above the 250 your are using. No gaurantee it will help.

I just need 20 more base clock cycles to avoid insomnia :argue:

From your following post, you ask about VTT. I doubt it will help but of course try inching it up with the Vcore set to max. Work? Maybe and likely not, but trial and error is the only way to know.

Nothing seems to be working really. Its a complete dead end, however i did manage to tighten the RAM tras to 13 from 15, that improved the latency a bit.
my guess if theres a "hole" its probably in the RAM.

Nothing seems to be working really. Its a complete dead end,

Actually all things seem to come to an end. In a previous time, I bought more than one of the same cpu just to see if I could get a 'better' overclock if one cpu reached 'the end' faster than I thought it should.

In that previous time I had motherboards 'known' to overclock really really well. The problem is that G41 chipset motherboards do not really have a good reputation for overclocking. The P45 variant of that chipset and cpu did much much better. The G41 chipset hastened "the end" of the overclocking trail.

Glad you did get the ram tightened up some since it will help. We all hate the end but it is just a fact of life. Good luck overall. RGone...ster.

Well said about the END. u lose everything but u never lose the end .
p45 does look n defintly has the feel 4 overclocking, G41 is just a compromise. but then again for me it saves a lot of energy n time again it has helped me in asking my Nvidia to not come onboard.
However i will check up on the cpu and ram on a p45/43 , whenever i can.That said the e4500 has been through many rough roads with me for 5 years now n if does not want to go any faster im still with it.
Good luck n life to you too buddy .

Ok , weird new development ...

I did some manipulation with the tras
1... @17<tras<13 doesnt boot ever
2... @13<=tras<=15 boots + windows loads + operates + stable [till FSB 250]
3... @tras16 & FSB251
.................+ memV
[email protected] boots till bios
[email protected]~1.48V till Windows but unstable
[email protected] = AUTO = Works
4... @tras16 & FSB252
.................+ memV
[email protected] till Windows but unstable
5... @tras17 & FSB252
.................+ memV
[email protected]~1.48V till Windows but unstable
[email protected] = AUTO = Works

Last edited:
Setting no.5 works with stability proportional to memV, however the ram being a cheap Value Memory i really dont want 2 add more volt than the rated 1.5V
setting5 is applicable till FSB 255 after which tras cant be increased anymore @MeM bus < 533mhz
Conclusively we can say that the RAM needs to be loosened in order to function even though according to the print "DDR1333" it is underclocked.
Therefore can i make a prediction that the RAM is limiting me ?

Last edited:
Back