• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on water setup part selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geoffchad

Registered
I was looking at the EK motherboard kit HERE as a possibility for my i7 build. I know I don't need to cool the mobo, but it means I might not need to worry about any fans or tall heatsinks on the motherboard. The X58 extreme uses an aluminum water block, so its a no-go.

How would people feel about that motherboard block going into a loop with an i7 and a 4870x2 (possibly two of them in crossfire)? I have not selected any water blocks yet (though I plan on using 1/2" ID hose), as I know flow is going to be a big deal. I've got an XSPC RX480 (outside on a vertically rotating front door) and RX240 (inside on the back) in my Antec 1200 so far, and I could fit another RX360 in there if I had to as most of my 5" bays are open. 450ml res in the case as well. I can either run two loops with MCP355's or a single with an MCP655.

The machine can make a ton of noise at full bore, but I'd like it to be very quiet at idle. All the fans on it so far are Yate Loon high speed fans on a controller.

I'd separate the CPU/NB and the 2xGPUs/MOSFETs into two loops, split like that. i7's run HOT and putting four GPU cores in the same loop won't help matters much, even with all of those rads. Adding a NB/SB block won't hurt the CPU too much, but if you crunch, those MOSFETs could heat up significantly, which is why I suggest putting it with the GPUs. My $.02.

Those two rads and two pumps. A problem I see is the 240 is too small for a CPU/NB loop, or two 4870x2. The 480 would be awesome for the CPU/NB or the GPU's.

I'd put the 480 on the CPU/NB and the 240 on the GPU, when you buy a second GPU, your gonna need a bigger rad.

And for sure TWO loops, no doubt about that.

Yeah, I also suggest the 480 be used for the CPU/NB/SB, with the 240 going into a loop with your GPU & MOSFETs. If / when you add a second video card, then you can add another radiator to that loop to handle the extra load.

I'm seldom a fan of double loops but in this case I think the general consensus is right. A 480 on the CPU and chipsets should make a good loop. If you're lucky you can lower the fan speeds too ... :)

I was looking at the EK motherboard kit HERE as a possibility for my i7 build. I know I don't need to cool the mobo, but it means I might not need to worry about any fans or tall heatsinks on the motherboard. The X58 extreme uses an aluminum water block, so its a no-go.

How would people feel about that motherboard block going into a loop with an i7 and a 4870x2 (possibly two of them in crossfire)? I have not selected any water blocks yet (though I plan on using 1/2" ID hose), as I know flow is going to be a big deal. I've got an XSPC RX480 (outside on a vertically rotating front door) and RX240 (inside on the back) in my Antec 1200 so far, and I could fit another RX360 in there if I had to as most of my 5" bays are open. 450ml res in the case as well. I can either run two loops with MCP355's or a single with an MCP655.

The machine can make a ton of noise at full bore, but I'd like it to be very quiet at idle. All the fans on it so far are Yate Loon high speed fans on a controller.

Any specific reason you wanna throw $140 @ cooling your NB/SB/Mosfets?

Aftermarket cooling and a large fan nearby will do the trick imo. Keep your CPU/GPU watercooled though

I thought about the motherboard blocks "just because".

I was originally thinking of getting the X58 extreme, but found out the water block was aluminum so I had also gotten the idea of water cooling the motherboard into my mind and it just went downhill from there. Its how it goes I guess!

I guess as time goes I can always juggle components around to see what works the best with the two loops. I cant help but think a 480 for chipset and CPU is a bit overkill (only temps will tell in the end!) as I manged to get my Q6600 to 3.6GHz and stable on just a thermalright Ex120 (though I leave it at 3.2GHz normally cause I'm paranoid).

Back