• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help picking a 670 or 680

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One more thing, don't get biased for this specific game, Max Payne 3 is one of the few games that have physx and those are know to run a bit better on the green side. Unless MP3 is the only game you play, don't switch to a 670. Use the latest beta drivers and you will see some improvement. Instead of investing in a same level video card, get a good cooler and you will see the difference in everything you do with the pc once overclocked.

One more thing you can do, use 8x AF instead of 16x, I've never been able to see the difference.

Performance hit on AF is negligible though.. Lower AA or something else before you go lowering AF IMO.

Xeon_KI I don't own it anymore, I sold it with my last Pc. I'm looking for a new one to replace the stock fan I have now, without going broke in the process lol.

EarthDog My problem with the Evo 212 is that it costs £25, 2 good fans will cost £25, total being £50.
Am I not better just buying a £50 heatsink rather than upgrading a £25 one? Should I not get something like a NZXT?

Soulcatcher668 Right, that is worrying... I've updated my graphics driver to 13.3 Beta now.
I will be testing a few games, and once I have the results I'll let you know if I've seen an increase.

Also, I will be running HWMonitor to see what it can find.

Just tried Ghost Recon Future Soldier, I was getting 60fps max (vertical sync on to stop tearing) and lowest I got was 49 fow a split second. I reckon it averaged at 56-57. Epic!

Thanks for the advice on updating to Beta. I'll try out a couple of other games between now and tomorrow post on how it goes.

I have the HWmonitor texts, but I don't know how to convert them into what you guys wanted to see...

Why wouldn't you just buy another one of the AMD cards you have? and Xfire them?

The only way nVidia would be better if you got a 680 (which is like 5% better than a 670) 690, or Titan.

Now that I've seen the power I'm getting with the new beta drivers, I'm going to stick with the 7950, it would end up setting me back quite a lot cash wise considering the little increase on power, it's not worth it. I'll just go XFire two later in the future when I start getting lower fps.

wingman99, haha, I look forward to seeing that too. As long as I stay in the 50-60fps with the settings maxed out, I'm happy.

anhikilator, omg that deal is awesome! But I live over in the US T-T

Last edited:
I was using these two. I'm still perplexed by AMD on which is which.

Catalyst Software Suite 13.1
AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 12.11 CAP 2

You cant use 'two' drivers...one is a CAP.

13.3 are the latest drivers I believe, but the bottom line is after the 12.11 beta (not CAP, those are profiles - Catalyst Application Profile) performance improvements across the board are not there. THere are particular mentions of Crysis 3 though.

In that thread is a simple resolution to the problem.

BEFORE YOU INSTALL YOUR Corsair H80 UNIT

1) Ensure that the fans are properly connected to the radiator unit (one should blow into the case through the H80 radiator) the sticker on the reverse of the fan will be hidden, the second should be attached with the sticker visible from the inside of your PC Case, this means air is blowing through:
>>OUTSIDE CASE>>CASE WALL>>FIRST FAN (Sticker side attached to radiator)>>RADIATOR>>SECOND FAN (NONE Sticker side attached to radiator)>>INSIDE CASE>>>
2) Plug BOTH fans attached to the radiator to the pump unit that is attached to your processor chip, there are two plugs for this next to each other...do not confuse with the CORSAIR LINK plug
3) Plug the small power cable from the pump unit (the bit with the profile button on) into the CPU Fan header on the motherboard, don't worry if it is 3 pin and you have 4, use the grove on the connector to guide you as to which 3 pins you should use...you should use
4) Plug the MOLEX (the bigger connector) into your power supply (not into a fan controller)
5) Boot and check both fans work and air is drawn into the case and the Corsair logo lights up on the pump...all good?
6) Go to your BIOS and disable any profiles you have on the CPU fan, whilst I'm not sure what this will do, it seems likely that the BIOS trying to adjust power to a pump is probably not a good idea...if Corsair can clarify that would be great

Back