• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - looking for comments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Rebuilding My main Rig. Here is what the end product is going to look like.

MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Proc: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W
Mem: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000)
Vid: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD Video Card
PSU: EVGA 220-P2-0850-X1 P2 80 Plus Platinum, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular Power Supply
CPU Cool: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
HD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive + 2 500gb SSD
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow CC-9011078-WW Black

Any recommendations? What range do you think this will OC to?

Thanks
epauls

That looks like a very solid build to me Epauls. My only recommendation is to look into Delidding and replacing the TIM on that 8700K. They run hot as the Dickens (whatever that really means).

That looks like a very solid build to me Epauls. My only recommendation is to look into Delidding and replacing the TIM on that 8700K. They run hot as the Dickens (whatever that really means).

I just read up on that. Looks like need another tool lol. Is the Rockit Cool Intel processor delidding kit the one to use?

What do you think of my MB and Memory selection?

With just one video card in the system an 850W PSU is overkill. A quality 650W would be more than enough.

And just wondering why you went with the GTX 1080 instead of the 1080 Ti? Was it a budget issue? If so, I think you need to look at cutting back on the PSU and applying the savings to the 1080 Ti. I assume the primary use of this build is gaming?

I just read up on that. Looks like need another tool lol. Is the Rockit Cool Intel processor delidding kit the one to use?

What do you think of my MB and Memory selection?

The motherboard and Ram are boss. You could scale that back if you're not going to be heavily overclocking, but if its in the budget then its exactly what I would buy.

What resolution will you be gaming on?

Hot as the devil or hell. Dickens was a substitute for Devil when people didn't like to say that word in case he heard you.

If OP wants to go with 4k then the 1080 Ti would be the way to go.

Volta is just around the corner, but the 1080 ti is a fantastic card. You would be well served by it. Idk about gigabyte, but Evga has an upgrade program if volta comes out within 90 days, you just pay the difference.

Unfortunately the PSU is already purchased(ie current build).
As far as the Ti version...$150+ is a descent step higher on budget.

Love the comments! makes me think a little harder on choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh current monitor is HP envy 32" 2560x1440. But this may change if I see something I like better in 4k.

I changed up and Purchased the ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX-GTX1080-A8G.

Back