• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with CPU temps and Thermal Paste application

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghost Koi

Hello, I was building a new computer today, the second computer I have built, and I decided that I would use the Corsair H75 to cool my CPU, Intel i7 4790k not overclocked. When I installed it I had the thermal compound making contact with the CPU but I realized that I had to reinstall the back plate. Upon doing this, I had a great deal of trouble removing the Corsair Heatsink/pump. As a result, I ended up smearing the thermal paste across the CPU and then I had to reinstall the Heagtsink/pump to the CPU. My computer works fine now but my idle temperatures are roughly between 35 and 38. When I put my computer under maximum load, using Open Hardware Monitor to monitor the temp and Prime 95, my temperature reached 75 to 78 C when I decided to turn it off. This was only after a minute or two. I am using an Intel I7 4790K and a Corsair H75. Is this normal and should I reapply the thermal compound? Also, does this processor tend to run hotter, I had a 3770k that never reached above 50 C

Anytime you remove a heatsink, it and the CPU should be properly cleaned and a fresh application of TIM is in order.

Anytime you remove a heatsink, it and the CPU should be properly cleaned and a fresh application of TIM is in order.
absolutely!

I have a funny feeling that the 50c temp you mention on a warmer running hyperthreaded processor was not using p95 or using the stock cooler? That doesn't make sense to me.

absolutely!

I have a funny feeling that the 50c temp you mention on a warmer running hyperthreaded processor was not using p95 or using the stock cooler? That doesn't make sense to me.
It has been a while but I know on the 3770k I never had temps above 70 C maybe closer to 50 or 60. Are the temps I am getting now normal for the 4790K and would it be worth it to disassemble my computer, remove and reapply the thermal paste, and then reassemble it? Also, when I recorded those temps the ambient temp in my room was roughly 30 C (85F), would that have affected anything? Thanks for the help

"Normal" can mean so many different things.

It should cool better than your previous setup, but again its a completely different CPU so you can't really compare it like that.

Yes, that is what we are saying NEEDS to be done (a proper thermal paste application and reassmbly).

As far as ambient affecting it. Of course it does! Essentially, for every 1C you your ambient raises, your CPU temps will go up darn near the same amount. So if you took some readings at 23C, then at 30C there should be around a 7C difference.

"Normal" can mean so many different things.

It should cool better than your previous setup, but again its a completely different CPU so you can't really compare it like that.

Yes, that is what we are saying NEEDS to be done (a proper thermal paste application and reassmbly).

As far as ambient affecting it. Of course it does! Essentially, for every 1C you your ambient raises, your CPU temps will go up darn near the same amount. So if you took some readings at 23C, then at 30C there should be around a 7C difference.
Ok, thanks for the response. Is there any risk in harming the CPU by cleaning off the current thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and reapplying it. Also, which thermal paste would work best?
Thanks for the help

That is how its supposed to be done, so no harm.

As far as thermal paste, I prefer Arctic MX-2. There are many others that will work just fine.

Back