• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Make sure "Cool N Quiet" is disabled in bios and also "C1E" if it is there. Also, go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and choose Performance instead of Power Saving mode. Those "green" power saving technologies generally create instability in the higher range of overclocking.

oh ok :). the reason i was not sure is because in my BIOS in a diff tab there is something called Vcore voltage and it runs at 1.15v but it cant be changed.
ok will do i will up my voltage

ok i disable those two but should i disable the CPU thermal throttle?

ok i got it at 20.5 multi with 1.40 voltage
ScreenShot003-2.jpg
ScreenShot002-2.jpg
ScreenShot001-1.jpg

ok whats next :D

Yes, I would disable the thermal throttle but be careful to keep an eye on your core temps. Thermal throttling on the Thubans seems to be set at about 55 C and I wouldn't allow your core temps to exceed that by more than 2 or 3 degrees C. And at the same time, keep an eye on the CPU temps. They are already running mid 50s. CPU temp is actually measured from the motherboard socket area. With that nice Corsair H100 cooler there will be a significant differential between CPU temps and core temps. Instability is not only created by excessive processor temps but by motherboard components running too hot; things like NB/SB chips and ram as well.

Okay, we need to start running 2 hr. Prime95 tests to confirm stability as the shorter tests are just tentative in that sense. If you can pass 20 minutes of Prime blend you aren't very far from true stability. So do a 2 hr. test now with the current settings and report back. By the way, from your pics it looks like you were doing 10 minute tests. That's okay for determining a ballpark estimate of what max core temps will be but you'd be surprised how many times just running it 10 more minutes will cause a crash. That's why I like the 20 minute test.

Last edited:
ok the reason they are 10 mins is because when i was uping i was doing 20 mins but when i got to 21.0 it fail so i redid 20.5 to take pics so i waited till the temps maxed out when turns out to be about 10mis

ok i will send a 2hr test later

Oh, I didn't know you had failed. I wish you had mentioned it. You may need to give a little more bump in CPU voltage to get it truly stable at 20.5x

I think 4.1 may prove to be your limit. Your core voltage is already hitting 1.44 and Thubans seem not to like it much more than about 1.465v. Soon we will work on HT Link speed and CPUNB speed.

Last edited:
heres 2hr test at 20.5 with my voltage set at 1.400
so you think i cant go anyhigher the 4.1Ghz?

ScreenShot014.jpg

Possibly. But lets put the core speed overclock on hold and focus on overclocking the HT Link and the CPUNB (also referred to simply as "NB" sometimes which can be confused with the chipset NB). Bump your CPUNB voltage up to 1.225 and the CPUNB multiplier up to 14x and the HT Link multiplier up to 14x as well. That should give you a frequency of 2800 for both. Do not increase the HT voltage. Then run the 2 hr. Prime blend test again. Thubans are said to like the HT Link and the CPUNB to stay in lock step as far as the frequency goes. If you fail the test, bump the CPUNB voltage to 1.25 and if you still fail give the CPU voltage one more bump. Post with pics after the tests.

Increasing the CPUNB frequency significantly improves memory performance as it speeds up the integrated memory controller component. It can also help with overall stability.

Last edited:
ok i uped my CPUNB to 14xmulti (2800) with 1.25 ( i miss read the post and put it to 1.25 not 1.225 srry) but i could not find a HT multi so i up it to the max (which is 2600 stock is 2000)
ScreenShot001-2.jpg

Your max CPUTIN (CPU socket temp) is 62. I would quit while you are ahead and not risk damaging board components. Remember, you need to allow for seasonal temperature variations. You already reached a stable CPU frequency of 4.134 ghz. That's pretty darn good! It's better than I expected with 16 gb of ram on board. You've done well and I've enjoyed working with you. I'm cutting the umbilical cord now and you're on your own. I think you have the hang of things anyway.

Back