• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Ideas and links for water cooled PSUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woodenman80

Can anyone help me as i need some advice or more links for PSU water cooling ive found a few examples but not by any of you overclockers crew.
Firstly i realise im playing with deadly voltages. But hey ive got cancer anyway so it cant get much worse LOL .
I Bought a new PSU from sparkle 400watt and well its bloody noisy compared to my old 300 watt but then the fan on that hardly spun, is there a way to cool the PSU saftely or possibley a mod i can do to it to make it very quiet. And i mean real quiet!!!
As its the only fan in my case :). I will have no trouble dealing with the extra heat as i have plenty more heat eating ability.

Please help i need some real info on this my most drastic of mods.

Why not just replace the fan with something like a Papst (19cfm@12dB or 26cfm@19dB) or a Panaflo(24cfm@21dB). Or even one of those whisper quiet Sunons ([email protected]). That would probably help. I'm afraid I don't know of anything about watercooling your power supply. That's an idea I find quite interesting, yet strikes me as exceedingly dangerous (for both you and your system).

Here is a site by one of our members...Bladerunner. He's made a watercooled psu, harddrives, etc...with walkthroughs on each. Very nice looking blocks too.

My Sparkle had a fan that was loud too, so I opened it up and placed a rheostat on the negative fan wire. I can tune it so I can't hear it, and it still stays cool. Make sure you unplug it, cycle the power button a couple of times, then leave it sit for a couple of hours before cracking it open. The 80mm fan in it was only .2 amps (2.4 watts), so it's fairly easy/cheap to find a rheostat to control it.

Have fun man!

My Enermax 365 watt PSU was too loud for me, so I took out the 92mm fan, changed the 80mm fan out for an 80mm Panaflo L1A, and hooked up the Panaflo to the 92mm fan's power source (which is temperature controlled). Took less than 10 minutes, and it is dead silent. If your power supply has the grill cut out of the casing, cut it off and replace it with a wire grill. Or if you know no one's going to stick their fingers in there, get rid of the grill altogether.

THis 400watt

This 400 watt sparkle has 1x80mm fan in it thats thermally controlled at boot its not loud but a hr down the road its annoying!!.

Im may try a fan mod :) with 1 slow fan and if im worried about heat i could always increase it to 2 slow fans :).

Thanx chaps i looked at bladerunners page the other day knowing my luck id end up with an electrified water supply kill whole family in bath lol :).

Back