• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need input on new computer build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flipstah

So I'm helping a friend build his new rig and need some input on the parts he might be getting. He wants to be able to OC his rig up around 4.2 ghz. Majority of what he'll be doing is edit vids, photoshop (learning), play games, such as COD, and need for speed, and schoolwork. His budget is ~$1000. These are the parts he was considering:

Case: Undecided, recommendations? (He doesn't want a HAF, or Antec 300/900)

Processor: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core $294.99

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $199

Ram: Either G.SKILL 6GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 Triple Channel or CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 $109.99

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black $69.99

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series 650w $119.99
He's looking for a cheaper psu also, any recommendation thats cheaper would be good :]

Heatsink/Cooler: Either ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm Or Noctua D-14 $69.99 - 89.99

DVD burner: Asus Dvd Burner $24

Total: ~ $942 / $912 after rebate. He lives in California so we get a $71 tax, thats why the parts don't add up to the actual total.

Any suggestions are welcomed! He already has a Nvidia gts 450 SC thats why gfx card wasn't included. And he will be reusing a 19" monitor.

looks like a great build. only advice i could tell you would be to invest and add a huge top shelf CPU cooler over that 950 if your trying to hit 4200mhz. just don't forget to make it apart of the budget, because you wont be able to hit your goal with the terrible stock cooler.
Ive had nothing but good luck with the cooler master HAF series. awesome airflow and easy tool less design. you cant go wrong.
intel2

Thanks for the input. He's not too sure on the case right now, and I think he might be leaning towards the Noctua. Other than that, I'll keep this updated from what he tells me.

Build looks good as it is...
If your friend is looking to save money on the PSU just replace the HX650 for the TX650 and save $30 right there.

The case is probably the most subjective part of the build... If he doesn't want the look of the HAF or the Antec 300/900, there are plenty of choices in that price range...

Mid Towers:
CM 690 II Advaced --> $79.99

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W --> $79.99

Full Towers:
NZXT Phantom --> $99.99

And if he is willing to stretch the budget for the case a bit he can have...

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout --> $149.99

Corsair Graphite Series 600T --> $159.99

In the end it's all up to your friend's taste and budget.

TX series is top quality, and a good choice if looking to save on costs. Not modular, but depending on what the case is like for cable management this may or may not be an issue.

With a GTS450, you would be fine with a Corsair 550VX for the PSU. Again, with the right case, the lack of modular cables isn't something you would really miss.

The NH-D14 will perform MILES better then the Zalman cooler.

Try switching to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 for the hard drive, you'll get 360GB more space for the same price.

Thanks guys for the input, my friend finds all your help useful. He also mentioned that he wants to go for the WD caviar black harddrive because it utilizes the 6gb/s.

Mechanical hard drives can't even get up to 3gb/s. SATA III (6gb/s) is a complete marketing gimmick as it provides NO performance boost whatsoever. The only drive that has a real performance difference between SATAII and SATAIII is the Crucial SSD's.

Mechanical hard drives can't even get up to 3gb/s. SATA III (6gb/s) is a complete marketing gimmick as it provides NO performance boost whatsoever. The only drive that has a real performance difference between SATAII and SATAIII is the Crucial SSD's.

He's right you know. The only way you can get close to that throughput is high performance SSD's in RAID config.

i own a 6gb/s crucial ssd and honestly, i don't see the difference in my boot time vs. my caviar black. id recommend investing in space over speed.
intel2

That must be a faulty drive, try checking it with the ATTO benchmark?
I just installed my Vertex 2 a couple days ago, my boot and shutdown times are drastically faster.

The SSD is worth it for sure.

Definitely somethign wrong. My GSkill Falcon speeds up boot times quite noticeably, and thats not even a current generation drive.

Back