• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Ram Suggestion For New Power-Tower Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QijdiDeOr

Registered
Salutations,

I'm finally getting around to building my new power-tower Super-Rig - heh - after putting together more than my share fro others, and I'm a bit confused about what RAM to buy. I already have most of my HW from the current PC and just need to transfer to the new build parts listed below.

Here's the current build specs.>>

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Vid: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost
PSU: OCZ-ZX1250W

I've been Thinking of Corsair ram this go round and I want something with a nice heat spreader and a 2x8GB format for 16GB of RAM, but this issue of RAM timing has me confused again.. I also want to make sure everything goes together perfectly.. So far.. the regular build is very satisfactory.

I was thinking of the Corsair Dominator line with a CMP16GX3M2X1866C9 module set. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PV2VMU or a CORSAIR Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233539

I'll be using this Rig for some gaming ( skyrim ), video (general playback, conversion, etc. ), lots of multi-tasking, remote support and presentation, and a hoard of other things. It will also be supporting the 6 HDDs I already have, 2 burners and possibly a blu-ray, and TV tuner. Power consumption is not really an issue, but reliability and overall longevity, performance is paramount. My last PC was leader of the pack for just over 5 years and is now an equivalent almost 10 years old. So far.. the rest of the parts are Top Drawer Kensington.. as the old expression goes..

I could also do with a rather good Heatsink.. My old PC has an Thermalright XP-90 on it with the universal mount, but I would like one that's a bit better. I've been looking at Noctua, but I don't like their board mount.. I would prefer 4-5 point contact for the bracket.. It all has to fit in an AeroCool Spiral Galaxies case since we are spending the entire wad on the main HW this time, and My's beginning to feel the pinch. I had to cut a hole for a 140mm Noctua int he side of the case near the vid and CPU assembly for extra cooling so we also need to take that into account for new HS upgrades since I obviously can't plug that huge hole very easily. * chuckles *

My main concern atm is the RAM.. I am curious though if my old HS with a new board mounting bracket would actually, temporarily fit the new board as I have never cared fro stock heatsinks and tend to keep.. my PC overclocked at least a bit.

I think that just about covers it folks.. Do please pas on your thoughts and suggestions.. The budget is already a bit tight with the already chosen HW, but we can squeeze a bit mroe.. Please try to keep the price range of the rAM considerative of the prices on the modules above.. Can't go much higher and certainly would, go lower.. I can get everything else at microcenter..

TiA and Namaste...

Q.

As for the RAM, I would definitely grab Corsair or G.Skill.

DDR3 1866 is practically out of the perceptible improvement range, which stops at DDR3 1600.

Also, a quick question. Why do you have a 1250W PSU with that hardware?

What I would get:
MOBO
RAM
PSU
GPU

This setup has approximately the same price as what you were contemplating, and will have massively improved gaming performance. 12 GB of 1600 ram is plenty. The 7970 comes with 4 free games too. :)

Promo code for PSU (Saves you $20, expires on July 4th): EMCXPVM27

Promo code for GPU (saves you ~$22, expires on July 4th): EMCXPVM26

Last edited:
PSU can be a quality 500W unit with that setup. If you want headroom for SLI/CFx down the road, perhaps 700W. But 1.25Kw is tremendous overkill.

Ok First of all... and please excuse me for not elaborating on this before hand ( I just didn't want to go in to a 30 year long dissertation just then * smirks * ). I already have 6 HDDS, ( One in a dock that will go in the case after this ), and will be expanding.. TV tuner, extra NIC, Scanner, printer.. etc.. Twin monitors ( one HD and one LCD ) The 1250W PSU is only 9 USD more than the 1KW, and I put my system through a heck of a lot of work and stress so overkill is fine.. My PC is my life since I became disabled so I don't mind that it is a Rolls Royce.. heh I prefer OCZ and Nvidia as far as PSU and Vid, and ASUS for motherboards... I've wanted the Sabertooth for a very very long time and need the extra quality HW for what I do. I can't spend 365USD on a graphics card.. My main question is about RAM.. * checks G. Skill Prices * Please do keep in mind that you speak with someone who is hyper-sensitive to EMF. I can sense CPU clock cycles and even time a car with an old style distributor by ear within almost 1/8 of a mark of perfect.. simply by ear.. When you say almost imperceptible.. Please define.. I notice the smallest things.. the way the HDD light flashes the sounds of the HDDS, the static EMF in the air as the system goes under pressure.. It can get drop dead annoying at times.. so I am going all out as much as I can.. The 860 price tag is already really high..

In other words.. I appreciate the consideration on other parts, but the Mobo, PSU, Chip, and Vid are not exactly negotiable. One may always overpower a thing, but never under-power.. I know the basic build above-stated rates at about 353 Watts, but that is also without the future expansion of a second graphics card and possibly 2 more drives and a blu-ray.. and that's just me getting started.. I learned back in 2004 when I first built my P4 ( that BTW was the best computer on the block for 5 years running ) that it does not pay to cut corners if you can't afford to go and do this every month, or every few months.. I have a One Shot Deal to make the next super-power Tower to last me another 10 years while I drool over everybody else's PCs when the next major improvements come out. heh. I did over-kill back then and it lasted for almost 10 years.. so I am doing it again in hopes for the same result.

Future developments when I have the cash will include installation of water-cooling with desire to combine that with Lian-Li.. You know comic cell of the guy sitting at his computer surrounded by piles of stuff?? Everything from last nights meal to hoards of parts and stuff?? heheheheh Wellllll that's me... save fro the fact I'm tiny... heheheh I have a wonderful opportunity with the help from the family to build my PC back to its former glory and then some.. after years and years of helping everybody and their dogs and cats and birds and rodents - HAH! build theirs and so on.. All I can say is it's about Demn Time!... So we are going for broke as much as the budget allows... My main concern is really fine quality ram that will even support Skyrim, APB, GTA as they release GTA5.. and so on.. I will eventually have 4 monitors on a VESA style mounting system ( at least one of them a 32" ) and whatever else I can squeeze in.. TG for the UPS is all I can say HAH!... In case you are wondering what I am going to do with 4 monitors.. Two will be used for Hyperspin emulated pinball regularly... and I always use 2 for everything.. chats and vids on one side and work on the other.. with actual multiple monitors handling taskbars on all of them.. I can go on for days.. literally.. about how hard I use my computer.. so I won't. But let's put it this way... even the OS is hard pressed to last me 8-10 months and I have 30 years PC experience with a DeVry degree and everything.. I am an archivist, builder, scientist, counselor, and then some.. all with a 256 IQ.. soooooo and BTW.. no bragging.. that's just the facts.. and sometimes dead annoying too - heh

So yeah folks... It's a bit of overkill, but as you can see.. I will be putting it to very heavy, and constant use.. I want my PC to fly.. with Dragon Wings to the planets and back in 20 seconds or less - HAHAHAHah and Ohhh yes.. will be taking snaps and showing off the build this.... time. My old P4 has been good to me.. so very good.. and thanks to everyone here and lots of pots of lots of research.. It made it for almost 10 years..

Anyway.. enough of me carrying on so.. Those are the stats and facts.. and a few other tid-bits here and there.. I need no-fail RAM.. best I can get for about 160 or less... The board holds 32GB so I need a 2x8GB pack.. Most folks probably won't really notice anything over 1600, but I can guarantee you... I... Will... This is my first AMD system ever.. I've despised the chips because of the abrogating, irritating, dissembling sort of irregular vibrations that actually caused my nerves to fray within 2 hrs exposure.. until now.. the new AM3+ line is incredible.. I built an FX-6100 for a friend of mine and it was one of the most beautiful systems I have created yet.. Intel is out of their flipping minds on prices right now and I am in need.. so, since AMD has finally gone beyond them in almost all aspects I have thus far discovered for my needs and uses.. and the chips no longer bother me... I'm going all out...

Let's put it this way.. The only thing people ask me about my builds is " What the heck is this, and what do I do with it. " Also, they don't come back for service, save for in the most dire of consequences.. It's a specialty, and a personal love of tech, and the fact that I put so much effort into it that I Don't Want the machines coming back to me for service... They are already works of art, right down to the professional electrician style wiring jobs and fresh polish of the case before it leaves.. Yes.. I need a Lamborghini.. * chuckles *

I swore long ago I would never go below 3GHz again. and now there's a chip that's FOUR Gigahertz!!! OMG!!! WOO HOO!! The southern Black Folk have an most colorful, and humorous expression.. I will be " Sh*ttin' In High Cotton " after this.. Years from now.. when Tech once again makes a huge leap.. folks will say " You have only 1600 RAM?? You have to be kidding! That's a dinosaur " even the 1866 will be totally out of date.. I've watched this happen ever since I was in 6th grade and first touched a computer..

Alright - HAH! I said I was going to shut up and kept rambling.. There you have it folks...

Thank you again.. from the heart..

Namaste...

Q

Making a mistake with AMD CPUs. It all seems from your post it's personal preference anyway. Get the memory you like. AMD at times might not like all ram, there has been issues. Buy it, it will fit in the space between the cosmos.:screwy:

Personally?? I'm a die hard Intel fan, but the prices are too insane and I'm seriously impressed with the performance of the new AMDs.. you just don't really want to overclock them much, if at all beyond the normal they were designed to do. and yes.. it is mostly personal preference... that's sort of common all around anyway.. and the issue about RAM is why I came to this forum in the first place. I've been doing my research... and so far, everything goes together nicely.. http://pcpartpicker.com has been an invaluable resource this time.. BTW.. my UPS is also a 1500W.. from APC. It has been very good to me and stopped the problems with the power here burning out my hardware. I'd have an i7 if I could afford the ridiculous price for it. Corsair has always been an industry standard. The heat spreader o the sniper series seems to be a lot better than the others btw.

What about this one?? http://www.microcenter.com/product/...L9_Desktop_Memory_Kit_(Two_8GB_Memory_Modules) This would mean I would not have to shop online for any of it. I have just not cared for Crucial.. My last experience kind of soured that pot.

I have to admit.. the video card is tempting, but I use only ASUS boards for the motherboard and have wanted a Sabertooth for years.. One way or another.. I'm getting 16GB of ram.. " Enough " is not an option.. Having more than enough for now.. means I will have " Enough " later on when tech progresses beyond what you folks call " Enough. " Microcenter unfortunately does not carry G. Skill from what the website says.. Ummm They are just up the road less than a mile from my house.. It wooooould.. be nice if I can get everything there, but is not totally essential.

Last edited:
I'd trust Crucial over all the other brands...Crucial is the house brand of Micron, one of the biggest manufacturers of memory chips.

When we say enough, we mean enough for the present and the future. I got 6GB of Ram 4 years ago and never maxed it out unless I was using professional CAD software. 8GB should still be enough for gaming and multimedia tasks even several years from now.

I'm sorry if you want an expensive toy, but most here aren't going to let you do that and steer you to the practical side. Buy what you need and what performs the best for your usage, not the next shiny thing you want.

Also, brand bias is stupid and only limits your options based on unreasonable and unscientific notion.

What you should get:
i5-4670K
A midrange $150ish board (There are good options from ASUS, ASrock, MSI, and Gigabyte in this range that are all about equal)
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V
A good 500W PSU for single GPU or 650-750W for two GPUs.
A 7870 with the Tahiti core (more like a downclocked 7950 with a bad naming scheme)

And if you're going to use the excuse that you can't spend this much on a GPU or this much on a CPU but you can buy an overpriced motherboard and PSU, that just seems ridiculous. The total cost of what I posted should be close to what you posted.

Last edited:
Ummm I do believe I was rather clear.. My PC is not just a " Toy.. " and I object to the reference... It is under a lot of pressure at all times and I am sick of only " Average " HW and only " Enough " that is out of date in 2 years.. you people seem to not be able to see beyond your noses about this.. and please excuse me being blunt, but I was EXTREMELY clear about this in that overly long post above and subsequent comments.. Yes.. I've decided to go for a nicer board, but there are good reasons.. for example.. a pure Nvidia board offers more clarity if you have an Nvidia based card.. Ii have totally enjoyed mine and loathe to give up this feature, but the new board is high enough quality to account for this anyway.. so I'm ok with that.. I knew.. that I should not have even bothered coming back again to this place since all you " Average " users deal in nothing but overly opinionated, rude manner.. The HW chosen works well enough together.. and there are those of you already with a 1Kw PSU so don't talk to me about only 9USD mroee or spending the same money for less wattage and quality.. I came here asking ONLY.. and I mean ONNNNNNLY about the RAM to go with the build I have chosen.. If you have nothing productive and polite to say and can't stick to the topic at hand with politeness and " Keepig and Checking Your Baggage At The Door " then go somewhere else.. I'm certainly goign to.. thanks fo the NO help.. and the Little Help.. As fior the reest?? Forget it.. I definitely will.. as well as this forum... I'll certainly be sure to tell everyone I know in all of the countries around the world where I know folks How I've been treated AGAIN.. by people who sit behind the screen and think they can say and dop whatever they want.. Proper manners are always most desirable...and that INCLUDES not being judgmental of others.. I have my reasons for doing a top notch system... you all should be satisfied with that and move on.. YOUUUUUu aren't paying for it.. YOOOOU don't have to live with the consequences... YOUUUUUUUUU don't have to own the system... Learn from this and move on... My patience is exhausted. Bye.

Pure nvidia board (whatever that is) looks better with nvidia cards? That isn't true, period.

Otherwise, good luck with your build!

Don't confuse psu wattage with psu quality. You can pay less and get a better, longer lasting, psu.
Same for the motherboard, sabertooth is pure marketing. They don't last longer, they aren't higher quality.

Amd's performance at the 8350 level is not better than a similarly priced Intel chip.

If you buy a sensibly sized psu and a just as good but lower priced motherboard, an Intel chip and a better GPU you will have higher performance now and in the future compared to what you have listed.

If you're going to ask for advice please listen to the answers. You don't have to follow them, but please contemplate them at least.

You say you need your system to last, but your willing to give up quality in areas that are important. If I was going to run half of what you listed, a quality psu would be a # 1 priority.You seem to know it all.It was mentioned that AMD might not like all that ram at times, but those issues don't seem to bother you at all. That 650ti is future proof for your time frame, with multiple monitors? You did mention a second video card, but until then that 650 will do it all.Wouldn't be smarter just to get 1 decent video card of quality.Lets use you logic.One video card now, another later, and avoid the quality in the psu to begin your build.

Last edited:
Back