• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerkid

Would running rosetta on a netbook help the cause much or is it not really worth it? I also have an 800mhz SLOT A athlon that I could toss in too. Let me know if it's not even worth it though lol.

To be honest it'll depend on how you are using it and for what besides Rosetta.

If it's on just a few hours a day/week and used for other stuff simultaneously, then no, it won't be worth it, as you won't finish a single project in like forever :)

If however, it's just left on and crunching on a shelf somewhere, then yeah, you'd not see huge number obviously, but it'll contribute.

One thing to bear in mind, is how much power it's actually using while crunching, even if the netbook itself won't draw much power, some will be lost through the power adapter as heat.

In a worst case scenario, you might look at a minuscule contribution for quite a lot power.

However bearing that in mind, Rosetta is actually what I chose to throw on my laptop and had running awhile back on my netbook, simply because it's a lot more forgiving on time limits and project sizes than comparable distributed computing, like Folding at home.

And no, I can't actually remember precise numbers for the netbook and I was also using it for other stuff (think big demands of a small hardware package; apache, virtual machines, 30+ chrome windows, and a ton of other stuff normally reserved for desktops by any sane people).

Thanks for the information. This netbook doesn't get used much anymore and would basically just be left on a shelf/desk running rosetta 24/7. I just got into it the other day but now have my laptop running it, my gf's laptop running it, soon my desktop *sandy bridge build this week*, an old p4 2.4ghz laptop, and i guess this netbook =D. The way I see it is every little bit helps, and the sandy bridge will be the power house lol.

It would work, likely not generate a ton of RAC.. something like 300-400 RAC would be a guesstimate.

I just put Rosetta on my Eee PC 901 (1.6 GHz N270 Atom) this morning. It's already completed two WUs for a total of about 20 credits. :)

I don't think it will be a game changer. ;)

My notebook (modern) has dual celeron at something like 1.4GHz and gets used a couple hours a day. My other (older) one has a single 1GHz Athlon and would probably take weeks to complete one task.

Unless you got a modern gaming notebook and can leave em running more than a few hours a day, skip installing anything on it. Oh, and get a nice laptop cooler, those laptops are built small and will get very warm when running 100% for a while.

Back