• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new 3870 Crossfire Setup; Not much faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Looking at your score:
3DMARK06 said:
SM 2.0 Score 3900
SM 3.0 Score 5564
Your crossfire is not working. I see that you even went to a new OS, so I guess it's not the driver.

Might be time to think about one or two of the cards not working correctly. Those scores clearly indicate that your crossfire is not enabled and/or not working. CPU bottlenecking alone would not have reduced your SM2 and SM3 scores by that much...

Yeah, I ninja-edited because i saw you went to the new OS. Hardware is the next likely culrpit at this point.

So then what should I do? Send both the cards in under warranty and have the tested? Or spend 5 hrs on tech support to circumvent the issue so they can waste my time to tell me that it's a hardware issue?

All you have to do is disconnect one card and run the test.

Disconnect the other card, then run the test in the same x16 slot.

You will find out if either one is faulty or there is something wrong with the bridge. You do have the bridge pieces in place dont you?

All you have to do is disconnect one card and run the test.

Disconnect the other card, then run the test in the same x16 slot.

You will find out if either one is faulty or there is something wrong with the bridge. You do have the bridge pieces in place dont you?

I know sometimes the most simple things are the problem, but I'm not retarded. Thanks though.

I will try the card swapping idea.

I know sometimes the most simple things are the problem, but I'm not retarded. Thanks though.

I will try the card swapping idea.

Not necessarily just swapping the slots. But running each card by itself in the top slot closest to the cpu while the other GPU is not in the computer at all.

Not necessarily just swapping the slots. But running each card by itself in the top slot closest to the cpu while the other GPU is not in the computer at all.

I was referring to the comment about the xfire bridges. As soon as I can get the freaking vista drivers to install i will try each card individually.

The only way the CPU could be bottlenecking the score is if you have the TLB work around fix enabled. This greatly reduces the first generation Phenom performance (as much as 20%), I have also heard of quite a few problems of people having the work around fix enabled on them without them knowing. Double check BIOs and Overdrive you don't have it enabled.

Your 3dmark scores from a single 2900XT to dual 3870's is basically showing you the change from a single 2900xt to a single 3870, which means the problem is most likely that Crossfire isn't working properly or one of the cards isn't working properly.

FWIW here is my CPUz snapshot:

CPUz.jpg

The only way the CPU could be bottlenecking the score is if you have the TLB work around fix enabled. This greatly reduces the first generation Phenom performance (as much as 20%), I have also heard of quite a few problems of people having the work around fix enabled on them without them knowing. Double check BIOs and Overdrive you don't have it enabled.

So did you not check for the TLB work around fix being enabled? CPU-Z will not help you with this, BIOs or Overdrive.

Back