• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Barton from Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelphia83

Finally got some of my hardware in today...

I'm tying this on my new 2500+ Barton oc/ed to 2366mhz (13x182) @ 1.8V

I bought retail from Newegg and recieved:
AXDA2500DKV4D
AQXDA0315SPEW

I haven't done any stability testing or burn-in yet, but I've been surfing the web for over an hour (as well as doing Sandra CPU benches) without a problem...

Motherboard is a Soltek 75FRN2-RL. It's limiting my fsb speed, because at anything over 182fsb, it cuts my RAM speed down to 152mhz (automatically) because it's only PC2700. I know this RAM is stable up to 190 or so, but it's close to maxing out, so I'm a happy camper.

Anyways the core seemed a reddish-purple color, but it seems there still room left for overclocking this bad boy. I gradually went in steps (1.86ghz, 1.9, 2.1, then 2.36), and I'm amazed I got that far. I just turned the voltage up to 1.8 for burn-in purposes. Sandra reports 35C idle with a Volcano9, not sure what full-load temp is yet....

If anyone is debating on going 1700+, 2100+, 2500+, I'd have to say with the price and the performance I've exerienced so far, the 2500+ would have to win hands down...

Will post updates as I do some tweaking

b25.JPG

Last edited:
adelphia83 said:
Finally got some of my hardware in today...

I'm tying this on my new 2500+ Barton oc/ed to 2366mhz (13x182) @ 1.8V

I bought retail from Newegg and recieved:
AXDA2500DKV4D
AQXDA0315SPEW

I haven't done any stability testing or burn-in yet, but I've been surfing the web for over an hour (as well as doing Sandra CPU benches) without a problem...

Motherboard is a Soltek 75FRN2-RL. It's limiting my fsb speed, because at anything over 182fsb, it cuts my RAM speed down to 152mhz (automatically) because it's only PC2700. I know this RAM is stable up to 190 or so, but it's close to maxing out, so I'm a happy camper.

Anyways the core seemed a reddish-purple color, but it seems there still room left for overclocking this bad boy. I gradually went in steps (1.86ghz, 1.9, 2.1, then 2.36), and I'm amazed I got that far. I just turned the voltage up to 1.8 for burn-in purposes. Sandra reports 35C idle with a Volcano9, not sure what full-load temp is yet....

If anyone is debating on going 1700+, 2100+, 2500+, I'd have to say with the price and the performance I've exerienced so far, the 2500+ would have to win hands down...

Will post updates as I do some tweaking

b25.JPG

Nice!, crank that thing up and let her rip! Does it hit 2.40GHz??

EDIT: Do you think you could take a picture of that AQXDA CPU and post it on here? Man, sounds like you just stumbled upon a new stepping!

OC-Master

Last edited:
Assuming the 512KB L2 cache Barton has a 5% system performance advantage on average, over the Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C with 256KB L2 cache.

Since the 1700+ max out at 2.5 GHz on air, so Barton at 2.38 GHz or higher begins to outperform the 1700+. And we begin to see some Barton are doing this.

2500 with 13 multi? what you change the multi range from 5-12.5 to 13-21? or is this stock with the AQXCA?

EspElement said:
2500 with 13 multi? what you change the multi range from 5-12.5 to 13-21? or is this stock with the AQXCA?

i dont know but it could be his board shows the higher multis. but 2500s usually go to 12.5. To go higher you have to cut bridges. I then if you want lower ones you have to short them back together with a "wire trick". i dont remember which one exactly because i dont want to. (rather have a higher fsb plus id screw somthin' up) :p

well, i got a older stepping. forgot the stepping code but maybe thats the diff.....

currently rmaing the cpu it was shipped thrus, should be coming tomorrow lets hope i get waht i did it for, the newest stepping... hehe

The odd thing, I was able to use all multipliers (well 10x - 13.5 are the ones I tried) without modifying the CPU in anyway. Don't know if this is common with all Nforce2 boards, but this one has no problem with it.

I am able to boot into windows at 182x13.5 (2457) but it fails Prime in the third or fourth test. I'm limited to 1.85Vcore, and raising it that high does not help.

I am currently running stable at 13x182 (2366), I had prime95 and Sandra running all night. I am using 1.825 Vcore, and for now temps are iffy-- 50C full load with the TT SF2 running a good 5500rpm or so (loud!).

It's too bad this board won't let me adjust memory ratio by myself. If I crank the fsb past 182, it defaults the memory back down to 152fsb. So for the moment it would seem I'm stuck at 2366, unless I want to jack the multiplier up, and lose a few fsb.

I'll probably do so after some burn-in, just to see what this thing could do (I'd like to hit 2400 stable).

adelphia83 said:
The odd thing, I was able to use all multipliers (well 10x - 13.5 are the ones I tried) without modifying the CPU in anyway. Don't know if this is common with all Nforce2 boards, but this one has no problem with it.

I am able to boot into windows at 182x13.5 (2457) but it fails Prime in the third or fourth test. I'm limited to 1.85Vcore, and raising it that high does not help.

I am currently running stable at 13x182 (2366), I had prime95 and Sandra running all night. I am using 1.825 Vcore, and for now temps are iffy-- 50C full load with the TT SF2 running a good 5500rpm or so (loud!).

It's too bad this board won't let me adjust memory ratio by myself. If I crank the fsb past 182, it defaults the memory back down to 152fsb. So for the moment it would seem I'm stuck at 2366, unless I want to jack the multiplier up, and lose a few fsb.

I'll probably do so after some burn-in, just to see what this thing could do (I'd like to hit 2400 stable).

impressive. i could not do much more than i could with mine. i got 2300. Also i have an Nforce board and i only had up to 12.5. Must be board specific. I can, however, adjust my mem ratio though.

EspElement said:
hmmm, i think you need a new motherboard man... NF7-S or 8RDA+

The NF7-S Rev 2.0 is currently the no.1 Athlon board out there too date. Its got everything plus the nForce2 400 Ultra chipset!

OC-Master

i got the new nforce chipset on my 8rda+ rev 1.1 stepping C1, so im good to go..... ye aNF7-S seems to be a better board, as i have heard

Nah, don't need a new motherboard... I've used the board before (an earlier revision in a system I built for a friend), and I was so impressed I had to have one.

This thing will do 225+ fsb all day long on default VDD, as many review sites have mentioned. It has the Ultra400 revision Nforce2, and is certified for 200fsb processors. Add to that, SATA RAID, VDD adjustment, 6ch sound, etc, and for 99$ this board is a steal. It is comparable (if not better in some areas) than ~125$ boards from Asus and Abit. Minus the IEE1394, but I could care less about that.

The newest BIOS revision has the memory ratio set to AUTO at all times when "expert" setting is set. I am still able to adjust individual memory timings however. If I had some DDR400+ ram, I could do 200+ fsb with ram in sync no problem (provided the CPU could handle it).

Overall I'm impressed with this chip... It doesn't seem to polish off the Sandra benchies (this chip "should" be faster than a 3200+). It only scores between a 2800+ and 3000+ in this respect. Not sure if the extra cache is reflected in this benchmark.

All-in-all I recommend this chip, hell it's only 128$, seems to overclock rather well, and Newegg's retail CPU's seem to guarantee the newest steppings. Hope this helps some of those in the market for a new CPU (possibly 2500+)

mine is at 2400, 192fsb, 2.1v
it might hold up at a lower voltage, but i doubt it at this fsb speed

that seems to be the factor here. the higher the fsb, the more juice it needs. but if i unlocked the 13+ multis, i could probably hit 2500 stable. i tried it at 200fsb, but that was before the burn in, and it wouldn't prime for long. maybe later.......

I recommend Prime95 tourture test. I ran it for like 18 hours and that prog beats THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR CPU. Before Prime95 I was using Sandra and I was using F@H but I found Prime95 to be the best. If it can survive 5 days on Prime95 while surfing the web, gaming, and watching movies then chances are, the system is extremely stable.

Back