• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build need heatsink + fan suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCnewbee

SO it been a long time since I posted on here. Thinking about a new i7 960 build. My current build is water cooled and i think i am going to go air cooled on my new build. Nothing special no overclocking. I have no clue on which heatsink and fans to use. I was looking at the following.

Tunq 120 universal

Tuniq 120 extreme universal

would need to get the 1366 adapter plate to use.
Zalman CNPS 9700 NT

If you guys have any other suggestions please feel free to add to the list. I have no clue on what is the best setup to run.

Thanks in advance.

Sevan;)

No overclocking= pick cheapest HDT one. :)
But my advice is to take a good heatsink, who knows maybe someday you'll want to OC a "little". If you have the budget Prolimatech Megahalems or TR VenomousX are 2 top dogs.
The mother of all heatsinks is Noctua NH-D14. You can keep it fanless in a decent case/airflow as long as you don't plan to OC.

IMO, the best suggestion would be to get an i7 920/930 instead of the 960 to save like $300+ (depending on where you purchase the CPU). I know you said no OCing, but the 920/930 could get to 3.2GHz easily.

As far as heatsinks, I agree with burebista. Xokeman's suggestion would be fine with little to no OC as well.

IMO, the best suggestion would be to get an i7 920/930 instead of the 960 to save like $300+ (depending on where you purchase the CPU). I know you said no OCing, but the 920/930 could get to 3.2GHz easily.

As far as heatsinks, I agree with burebista. Xokeman's suggestion would be fine with little to no OC as well.

Do the new Intel's run hotter than new AMDs? Reason I ask is I'm real impressed with my cooler but I've only ran it on my 965 BE. I rarely hit 60c during hours of OCCT...which I thought was pretty decent for air. I bought the Enzotech but was kinda scared because the reviews are so mixed...having owned it I have to think they may have mounted it wrong. It honestly cools 10-15c better if the pipes are horizontal as opposed to vertical...ask me how I know, lol!

60C on a 965? That is near threshold for that chip. 62C is the absolute max for the phenoms. The new AMD chips like it nice and frosty. After 55C during my OCing I found stability went out the window. Intels do run a lot hotter. I have heard of them running in the 70s and 80s.

60C on a 965? That is near threshold for that chip. 62C is the absolute max for the phenoms. The new AMD chips like it nice and frosty. After 55C during my OCing I found stability went out the window. Intels do run a lot hotter. I have heard of them running in the 70s and 80s.

Thats what I'm learning, only time I ever get up that high is with hours of OCCT. Wow, my last Intels were an e8600, a stellar q6600, and a really hot running qx6850...never made the jump to Intel's I series, lol, decided to give AMD a run.

Thanks for the info...having not run AMD since my Barton Core 2500 and leaving Intel after socket 775 I'm feeling rather noobish. ha ha :screwy:

Back