• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New capsmod for IC7MAX3 pics inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
screwtech02 said:
Hey, if i do the caps mod, do i need to do the droopmod, or one over the other or both :eh?: I just ordered the pots for the drood mod, and was wondering if i needed the damn caps now also???

Not really. You can see the droopmod as completely independent from the capsmod.

The capsmod's most important goal is to cool the fets and to clean the Vcore signal.

So basically the capsmod does the same thing as the droop mod in theory, without manually adjusting the voltages?? I'm just looking to get 4.o stable out of my 3.2.... :attn:

Look, just try these mods one by one untill you get stable. You'll get there certainly if you do all of them

Just did the capsmod, along with the otes mod, and now i cannot overclock at all, on the init boot screen it says "cpu unworkable, or has been changed, consult soft menu", so i go and check it out, set it at 250, adjsut the voltage's, and try and reboot, it still only sees it as a 3.2... I checked all the caps on the back with a multi, the bigger ones read12-13volts, and the smaller ones read around 1.3, is this right?? Help, Help, Help!!!! :(

screwtech02 said:
Just did the capsmod, along with the otes mod, and now i cannot overclock at all, on the init boot screen it says "cpu unworkable, or has been changed, consult soft menu", so i go and check it out, set it at 250, adjsut the voltage's, and try and reboot, it still only sees it as a 3.2... I checked all the caps on the back with a multi, the bigger ones read12-13volts, and the smaller ones read around 1.3, is this right?? Help, Help, Help!!!! :(

Something is wrong, either one of the caps is shorting inside, or, you have mistaken the polarity. It is of crucial importance to get the polarity right.

To solve yr problem, unsolder the caps one bu one, till you find the defective one (by booting in between desoldering ops).

The problem could also be caused by some heatsink (I guess you fitted some when doing the otesmod.

What caps did you fit? The voltage is important as well, it has to be equal or higher than the original values.

Keep us informed+GL

Well, i found the problem, one of the caps touched a little, and the end was pushed out... Took it off, and rebooted, still get the same thing... I got the same caps you had from digi-key... Do you think it may be something in the bios-chip??? I checked all the other caps i put on, and the ones around the proc, and they all seem to be good... Currently i'm pretty clueless as to what's up...... Not to mention kinda pissed at myself.... Brand new max 3 too...... :(

screwtech02 said:
Well, i found the problem, one of the caps touched a little, and the end was pushed out... Took it off, and rebooted, still get the same thing... I got the same caps you had from digi-key... Do you think it may be something in the bios-chip??? I checked all the other caps i put on, and the ones around the proc, and they all seem to be good... Currently i'm pretty clueless as to what's up...... Not to mention kinda pissed at myself.... Brand new max 3 too...... :(

Look, just unsolder them all, and see where we stand.

Also, when you get the message "cpu unworkable etc." your chipset resets the memory timings to SPD. This happens each time you get the message. Thus check yr bios settings. :attn:

No, it's not, the layout is slightly different. The caps to use are the same value though, and the way to go about it is the same. Close to the chokes next to the cpu you find a bunch of 6.3V caps, and in the same area you find some 16V caps. You can double these up.

Alternatively, post a pic of the cpu area on yr mobo, and I'll point to the ones that need additional caps OK?

woutertal said:
No, it's not, the layout is slightly different. The caps to use are the same value though, and the way to go about it is the same. Close to the chokes next to the cpu you find a bunch of 6.3V caps, and in the same area you find some 16V caps. You can double these up.

Alternatively, post a pic of the cpu area on yr mobo, and I'll point to the ones that need additional caps OK?[/QUOTE I should have been my clear on my question (sry) on the IC7-G, there are 8 6.3v 2200uf caps and 3 16v 1200uf . (do i use 1200 or 2200 uf for the 16 volt) JS1

JS1 said:
I should have been my clear on my question (sry) on the IC7-G, there are 8 6.3v 2200uf caps and 3 16v 1200uf . (do i use 1200 or 2200 uf for the 16 volt) JS1

1200 uF is a good value to start with. Good luck!

Last night I ordered 15 caps from digi Key ( 5 16v 2200uF and 10 6.3v 2200uF… I ordered a few extra... ) to cap mod my Max-III, however I decided it would be a better plan of attack to sell the max III and grab a Max II for the higher capacity.

So basically my problem is this… I plank on sinking and cap modding my Max II instead of the original Max III. If I post pix of my max II caps could you please show me the proper caps that shoudl be doubled up?

Also accourding to JS1 there are 3 16v 1200uF caps on this board can i just 3 of my 5 16v/2200uF of am i better off matching thier 1200uF values?

Last edited:
With the cap mod, It doesn't matter what kind of caps you use as long as the voltage isn't less that the one your doubling up. Also, the greater the UF, the more filtering you get :) (but there is no need to over do it with HUGE caps) . So the 3, 16volt caps are for the 12 volts. 16 volt caps are easy to find. The 7 of the 8, 6.3v caps are for the cpu voltage, and the other is for the ram. (all which run under 6.3 volts hopefully :p )

So basicly, I used samsung 16volt 3300uf 105c caps for them all, (bought them from an electronic store not digikey) and they work great. The voltage normally bounces up and down alot now it doesn't and its super stable. So after doing all this I said why not do a cap mod for the chipset? I tried the chipset cap mod from hypros mod and that fckued things up, I'm thinking the older mobos are different from the new ones........... So I just tested some of the caps near the chipset with my multimeter and all the caps near the chipset are for the agp voltage the way that i saw it. (Maybe there is no chipset cap? :eh?: ) But i still put a 16 volt 3300uf cap on one of the agp caps near the chipset, didn't see much differnce but my chipset voltage used to hit 2.91 and drop to 2.82 now it stays between 2.83-2.90, still ok I guess. Here is my monster :p
2857p2

(The flash didn't make it look to colorful but whatever)
2857q9

conclusion: I think everyone should do the cap mod on their mobos, all mobos have caps, and I'm sure it will help make your voltage lines much more stable, and there is no way you can damage anything, even if you put a cap on the wrong way, the only thing that happens is that your comp wont turn on. Also, don't use cheap caps, the ones I bought looked like real good caps, thats why I went with them. Happy modding niggas! :santa:

For the dude that had the "cpu unworkable" problem, that had nothing to do with the caps you added on, if you put the caps on wrong your system wont turn on. When you get that error, just take the battery out and put it back and it fixes it. When I changed from a 3.0 to 3.4 it gave me that problem, I couldn't oc, it would go back to deafult, just pop battery in and out and ur problem would have been fixed. :bang head

ya man, i ripped the thing with wire cutters

Sorry, but i made a mistake, in MBM5, there is core0 and core1, the core0 voltage is the CPU and i figured the core1 would be the chipset but thats the ram voltage. I'm not sure what the cap did that i put on the bottom (i sitll thinking the agp voltage, cause its at 1.65), but whatever, it stablizes something :p

Back