• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Firewall server configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkade

Hi everyone, got a question. Our Servers have been running with a Sentry Firewall server since 2005. With all the recent crap regarding hacking, and whatnot, I have been put incharge of re configuring some of the older systems. The question I have is, should I keep the Sentry Firewall setup, or should we switch to something like Devil-Linux, or some other Firewall Distribution? I'd hate to have to suffer this entire reconfiguration, but should I keep Sentry, or move to something else?

No spare servers to make a test network with at the moment, and I actually haven't been trained on our networking systems, but a huge chunk of the IT guys quit(do to financial problems we are suffering :( ), Leaving me the most knowledgeable of the system configuration.

I assume this is for a Business?

Congrats on the unplanned promotion! BUT I would seriously recommend admitting that you are NOT comfortable with this (IF you arent) to avoid getting A:in over your head B:A bad reference or worse WHEN an issue arises C:unplanned liability due to it being "Your responsibility and Your Job!"... Otherwise, I would request training at Co. expense.

Are the Sentry Firewalls out of contract?
Have they been updated since 2k5?
Are they standard servers with a custom OS or proprietary HW?
How much experience do you have with Linux/BSD?
How comfortable are you with CLI?

You can run PFSense on just about anything except a toaster, if you have an older PC, you can test it there.

I'm willing to try it all out, and it's a buisness network but not critical information. We have no other option then me to do this, and we don't have the money for professional training. The notes left said to move to Devil Linux, so I think I'll do that.

Lets see how this all works and turns out. Should be fine. Does anyone know if Devil has IDS like Sentry?

Back