• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New i5 2500k overclock What is my next step?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GelMibson

Registered
I have OC to 4.5 and it is stable in prime for 10 minutes. I am using coretemp to monitor to a max of 81C at 1.300v
I have cpuz also running. What do you suggest is my next step to try to get higher? What multiplier and voltage is common with this chip?

I used these settings suggested from a experienced member (except now I have cpu voltage at 1.3v manually)...

Here are some simple settings for the Asus board. Reset to default and follow these settings:

BCLK: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: by all cores
Multi: 45x
PLL Overvoltage: Auto
EPU Power Save: Disable
OC Tuner: Cancel/Off
CPU Ratio: Auto
Speedstep: Enabled
Turbo: Enabled
VRM: 350
Phase Control: Optimize
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 110%
CPU Voltage: 1.300 v
Offset Mode Sign: +
Offset Voltage: Auto

Adaptive Thermal: Enabled
Active Cores: All
Limit Maximum: Disable
Virtualization: Disable
CPU C1E/C3/C6: Enabled

Make sure to manually set DRAM voltage, timings, and frequency. Good luck.

PC SPECS:
i5 2500K (I forget exact cpu cooler, but it is a good thermaltake)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
I forget exact power supply but it was 650w
ASUS GTX 760
ddr3 pc 1600 Vengeance
Specs:
8GB Kit (2 x 4GB)
SPD Latency
9-9-9-24
SPD Speed
1333MHz
SPD Voltage
1.5V
Speed Rating
PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
Tested Latency
8-8-8-24
Tested Speed
1600Mhz
Tested Voltage
1.5V

Last edited:
Just play the game! The object of any overclock is to be at X clock speed and stable at the lowest voltage possible. Keep that cpu under 90c and voltage 1.4v or less and you are good to go!

Just make sure you test for a few hours once you settle on a clockspeed.

Ok... lol
I am going to try to get as high as possible here...I am trying to learn about the specifics.
for example I am not certain how to set LLC and VRM frequency, I see some discrepancies here among experienced overclockers...

Also, I am using windows 10, it seems coretemp freezes up. Is there something better for win 10?

You don't need to touch vrm frequency. That's really for subambient and higher overclocks than air/water.

You set llc to minimize/stop vrdroop....what ever setting that may be for you.

Realtemp, hwmonitor will work.

Yeah, you need to stress test for longer than 10 minutes. For intel CPUs a lot of people are moving away from Prime95 to AIDA64 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for stress testing. They give a more realistic test and don't drive temps so high. They also monitor temps for you. But using either of those would require a much longer test to confirm stability, say overnight. Your voltage is still on the conservative side. You can safely go up to 1.335-1.35 for 24/7 if your cooling will hold that.

Yeah, you need to stress test for longer than 10 minutes. For intel CPUs a lot of people are moving away from Prime95 to AIDA64 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for stress testing. They give a more realistic test and don't drive temps so high. They also monitor temps for you. But using either of those would require a much longer test to confirm stability, say overnight. Your voltage is still on the conservative side. You can safely go up to 1.335-1.35 for 24/7 if your cooling will hold that.

I will take your advice and test longer for stability but I seem to already have temp issues.

I did hit 89C!!!!!!!!!!! At 45x103 (1.34 V) in Prime after about 10 mins so I shut prime down and idled to lower temps
I have been playing with bus at 100 vs 103 just to test things out. (I am getting to about 77C during gaming)

Since I have a coolermaster 212, I wonder if I have too much thermal paste?
I should be getting better cooling shouldn't I?
I have a strong feeling I was too gentle tightening my cooler master 212 to my MB, my temps seem high and my 212 will "slide" around a little if I move it with my hands....

FYI
I have been running my pc at ASUS performance mode (103x42) for 3 years now and was stable.
I am just now trying to get my max oc with my modest ram and cooler.

Last edited:
Lave the bclk alone and go multi only.

Temps are fine, but close to the limit.

If the heatsink is loose, tighten it down. Very little wiggle when twisting it with a fair amount of force. For that voltage and clock and that cooler, those temps are about right. See if you can lower the voltage and still be stable. That will bring down temps.

On the Cm 212 depending on the chip and ambient temps you're probably going to hit the heatwall between 4.5 and 4.7 Ghz. Just crank the screws down as far as they will go, there are stops on them, you wont be able to over tighten it.

Ok thanks for the tips.

I must have had some settings messed up. I have an Asus P8Z68-V PRO and I think it has some settings I don't understand. I must have become confused between an older post regarding "what settings to use with ASUS board" and the sticky on i5 2600/2600K

I just ran 46x100 with manual 8-8-8-24 (2) 1.5v RAM settings (as per spec)
and as the sticky suggested:
turbo = 45 (I went with 46)
voltate 1.35
LLC 50%
C5 C1 etc off
Power saving off
virtualization off

I ran prime for 20 mins and only got 71C max this time?!

Also, what I don't understand is, with my manual CPU voltage at 1.35 , CPU-Z showed "core voltage" reaching 1.312 v

Last edited:
Ok thanks
but voltage was not fluctuating. it was stable at 1.312v as shown in cpuz, but my bios setting is 1.35 v
(there must be a setting in the asus bios that makes the voltage stay at the "core Voltage" setting because previously my voltage would stay very close to the manual set voltage) This time it was much lower then the set 1.35 volts

Last edited:
There are too many variables to go into play with voltage. It will NOT be dead-on-balls accurate. What you set in bios and what it shown in software are 2 different animals. To get a 100% dead on accurate reading, you'll need to find where the voltage points on the mobo to cpu are and check there with a multi meter.

My voltage is set @ 1.32v in the bios. With CpuZ/HWM it shows 1.319v

Ok I understand thanks but....
your voltage difference is 0.001 volts

mine is 0.038 volts

Plus, a few days ago when I had a slightly confused unstable bios config, i did have my voltage flux close to 0.001 like yours

now mine is just a steady 1.312v (much lower than my 1.35v bios setting)

I appreciate the help , but I know I had a setting in my bios that would cause my bios set voltage to be very close to my cpu-z displayed voltage under load.

I am 99% sure I have some "auto voltage" setting on that I am not aware of that I don't want on

Ok thanks
but voltage was not fluctuating. it was stable at 1.312v as shown in cpuz, but my bios setting is 1.35 v
(there must be a setting in the asus bios that makes the voltage stay at the "core Voltage" setting because previously my voltage would stay very close to the manual set voltage) This time it was much lower then the set 1.35 volts
that's nornal. Sometimes called vdrop (difference between set voltage in bios vs IE voltage in windows). There isn't any setting that fixes it is am aware of. Now vdrOOp, or difference between voltage at idle vs load voltage, that is handled by the LLC setting.

Ok thanks, I set LLC to extreme (100%), I had it at High (50%) and I also set "CPU current capability" from 110% to 130% and all of a sudden my cpu voltage in bios was close to my voltage displayed in cpuz.

I need some tips to ensure I am not going to far with this overclock.

I followed the sticky (except I increased a few things incrementally)
RAM set to manual (8-8-8-24 2) 1.5v
Turbo to 49 (I know the sticky said 45)
cpu voltage to 1.35v
I had LLC AT HIGH (50%) but went to 100%
c5/c1 etc disabled
power saving off
virtualization off

But after 45x worked fine I went incrementally to:
49x100
Voltage set to 1.425v in bios (1.410v failed after 10 mins in prime)
Voltage in cpuz read 1.464 max (average a bit lower)

I cleaned out my coolermaster 212 and my max temp in prime after 20 minutes was 87C , but that was a spike and it was averaging 75C (I know 20 mins in prime is not a final stress test, but it was a start.) I also just ran intel burn and it said "success"

I also ran 3d mark11 to bench.

Looks like I have a good chip?
What might be my next steps to try to get higher?
My temps are ok, so is my voltage being rather high "ok" ?

I appreciate all tips and suggestions you might have

Last edited:
At what point have you tried getting it stable, either 2 hours prime blend, Aida 64 etc? You may want to find a stable point before you try and push for something as lofty as 4.9.

At what point have you tried getting it stable, either 2 hours prime blend, Aida 64 etc? You may want to find a stable point before you try and push for something as lofty as 4.9.

At 4.9 I ran intel burn, and after about 10 mins or so it said it was successful, should burn be run longer on a loop? And prime ran for 20 mins (blend)

I ran at 4.7 at bios voltage 1.39v (voltage displayed in cpuz was 1.4V), with prime for 1.5 hours

Last edited:
10-20 minutes is not enough to ensure stability for daily usage. Most here will not call an oc stable unless it passes 2 hours of what I posted above.

Back