• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new laptop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I just got my Dell Inspiron 8200 and though it's a bit more sluggish than
I wanted, it has prety much saved my *** as my moniter is out of comition for now. But I will say it is very sweet.

P4-M 1.8ghz
512MB DDR PC2100
40GB 5400RPM hard drive
15" Dell UltraSharp UXGA screen
toochpad and stick
onboard sound NIC modem 2 USB docking port and firewire
media controlls.
driver CD actauly NOT a ghost, like Dell wants you to install your own O/S :)
Mobility Radeon 9000
Windows/Office XP pro (installed by me)
CD-RW/DVD combo drive
2 batties
1 modular floppy drive
and a carrying case from goodwill!

my thanks to the recomendations on getting a Dell, it's worth it cept don;'t expect a powerhouse of laptops to last lnog on batteries, it's more of a UPS for this thing.

if you don't mind me asking what was the price tag of that system? and how long is battery life? and how long is it with all the power save features turned on? im looking into a laptop also (if i score this net admin job) and you have built the one i was looking at...although ill go refurb

actually, tomshardware(please take it with a grain of salt as their known to put out lots of trash now) has an article on how Dell's PIV-M processors perform way slower on battery than on the power adapter. Not sure if it's true or not, but worth looking into with a few benches.

sounds like a really sweet laptop, I want a laptop, but can't swing one anytime soon. maybe santa will bring me one ;)

I paid $2150 for it about. and it's really nice tho battery life varies, i would say with the cpu at batery optimized in the BIOS you might get 4hr on 2 batteries. in hibernate it's life can drasticly increase tho. and ifi ts slow on batteries its ecasue in the BIOS yu can set how the system optimizes itself based on power source. for AC and battery there is ; performance optimized, battery optimized, automatic, and some other setting. it's really quite versitile.

i never read the article, just read the title of it in some spam email my yahoo gets from them.

sounds like a sweet computer, i'm jealous :)

I believe the Dell laptops actually have more battery life than most computers out there. Sure, it's definately power hungry, but other laptops don't come with the option of running off of 2 HUGE lithium ion batteries. I think the Dells can get around 5 hours of life while the other laptops out there hold at around 2-3 hours.

Well my dad decided to bring his laptop out hwen i had miner on the kitchen table surfing the web. gues he wantd to try to out gloat me. so i had him run 3Dmark beside mine. well i guess he must have known something was up when his Toshiba P4 m 1.7 started saying no hard ware support on Nature and pixel shadder. he got 3800 to my 5900! :D

i agree, i will not own a laptop that doesn't have a nice vidoe card, im looking for the gforce 4 or the ati 9700

well the best you will get is a mobility radeon 9000 unless you spend like $2800 on an alien ware or something. and those are more like desktops than laptops. they weigh a ton and do you wally want to put 3 grand into a box that has a 1 in 3 chance of bieng stolen? I',m VERY protective of my laptop because thet theft rate of these things, especialy in airports and public places, is so blody high.

Back