• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MOBO, New cooler, New clocks, Nice temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

I could not get my Thuban past 4Ghz on the M5A97 for some reason, and the 4 year old OCZ vanquisher did not help that caues.

But its alright as i have now upped my game :ty:

I got myself an Asus Sabertooth, and for cooling i got another air cooler, but a much better one, CM Hyper 412S.
I came to within a couple of inches of going all out and getting a H100 H2O cooler, but i would have had to get a different and much more expensive case to accommodate it properly, and i like the case i have for now.

The H100 will get me exited another day.

So, it all arrived this morning, i striped my rig to its bare nuts and bolts to give it that proper good clean out, then reassembled it with the new hardware and then set about playing with it immediately :D

I set the Vcore to 1.425v, bumped the multiplier tp 21x, set my usual LLC settings ecte in the BIOS, It booted right away without hassle.

I fired up HWMonitor and CPU-Z to confirm the clocks and then ran P-95 full blend for 15 / 20 minutes...

Hallelujah.... it held solid! at last, i should have done this months ago.

Whats more my temps @ 4.2Ghz with the new cooler are actually better than they were @ 4Ghz on the old one.

49c Cores and 58c CPU. Those temps look to me like i may even find more Mhz yet :eek:

picture.php

And a quick CINE run...

picture.php

Lot to be said for a good mobo. Glad it is performing as it is. RGone...ster.

:attn: :clap:

Now change your signature so I can drool when I see that board listed.

I may have to ditch my trusty h60, your 6 core temps look as good or better than my 955.

Frakk-man you ain't jus joshing us bouten you doing dis >>> set my usual LLC settings ecte in the BIOS, It booted right away <<< got to be pullen on one my legs man. U tallen me U got cents enough to know what your bios sattings are?

I did nut thenk no one but "trents", E_D, C_D and jus a few more kept up with there biOs sattings. I have to take a pitcher of my biOs jus so dis dum ole thang can member such stuffz. U has udderly, slapped-me ermazed me. U borderining to generus manz. :thup:

RGone...ster. :chair:

No don't ditch the H60, the 412S will not better it, i also have it turned differently to what most do, i have a fan in the top pulling air out above the cooler, the cooler fan is at the bottom pushing up at that fan, that way its picking up cool air from the 200mm intake fan, oriented the usual way (pulling air from front to back) is less effective, at least in my case as the optical drive is there, no fan directly in front of it and like that its also out of the way from the airflow coming from the intake at the bottom.

I may add a pic tomorrow...

My CPU also seem generally a bit better for temps than your average Thuban., or i'm just really good at Thermal compound application and optimizing a case for air flow :D.

Your 12v ? did we not go over that recently?

@ RGone, i play with my BIOS a lot, and a lot of other ppl's BIOS, i do have it all memorised, and different ways and what not. i guess its a bit like that old door none but you can open. only you know just how to kick it :) still, i also got lucky

Last edited:
yea, we covered the +12v thing, it still just looks all screwy to me.........

POST THE PIC..............

I forgot to post it but, I ripped the psu out of my 955 machine and piggybaced it into my fx machine to run everything except the cpu and it changed not one thing....... This really p*#$ed me off so i jabbed and stabbed around with my dmm and found it really had changed nothing, not the 3.3v or the 5v or the 12v.

Last edited:
patience is a virtue :p

Its a bit late here, i'm just finishing up and then going to bed.

Grats on the new board. I'd LOVE to own a sabertooth myself and I'm drooling over yours. It's nice to see how much more you were able to pull out of your Phenom II over the m5a97

Thanks ^^ :)

So here are some Pix caddi daddi.

Phone cam pix, sorry, don't know where my camera is, i think one of the kids has eaten it.

picture.php

CPU cooler with 120mm fan above it, thinking of sticking a 200m up there.

picture.php

Intake fan completely unimpeded, there was a HDD rack there, removed it to clear that space, the bottom rack there is also removable but i need it to stuff the unused SPU cables in, its only blocking the from of the PSU anyway.

picture.php

Case wiring looking messy, i may tidy that up, but i have it all stuffed out of the way of the intake fan. CPU cooler fan in the top of the pic

picture.php

I have the GPU in PCIe number 3 to give the airflow enough room to pass under the CPU, this MOBO has 4 PCIe slots, 3 possibly all 4 are x16

picture.php

I'm loving this MOBO, this one is for keeps :)

Frakk-man said:
I'm loving this MOBO, this one is for keeps.

So far everyone I have seen getting off the mid-level board and go to the Sabretooth has liked the little extra that they get. What is nice is that 1.425Vcore for wide-open, for just about all those cpus would give on air. That is the impressive part.

When I began to overclock, I never got mid-level board thinking I was going to get all I could get. It was the best or next to best board in a series. That always was my best bet.

All I am waiting on is the PileDriver. I waited too long to get a good X6 thuban. If they come with a X1000 chipset for the PileDriver then the Asus Sabretooth or the CHVl will be my choice for pushing the ever-loving pee out of one them PDs. I may even stick my phase on it. Who knows.

So far everyone I have seen getting off the mid-level board and go to the Sabretooth has liked the little extra that they get. What is nice is that 1.425Vcore for wide-open, for just about all those cpus would give on air. That is the impressive part.

When I began to overclock, I never got mid-level board thinking I was going to get all I could get. It was the best or next to best board in a series. That always was my best bet.

All I am waiting on is the PileDriver. I waited too long to get a good X6 thuban. If they come with a X1000 chipset for the PileDriver then the Asus Sabretooth or the CHVl will be my choice for pushing the ever-loving pee out of one them PDs. I may even stick my phase on it. Who knows.

You pay for what you get, the M5A97 is a good board for its money, i will always recommend it to someone looking for a good solid board for not so much money. that's exactly what it is.

But if you want the very best, or close to it. The M5A97 is not it. you have to spend the money, there is no way around it.

As for Piledriver, well i'm committed now, i can't keep buying new hardware whenever it suits me, i did that with My GPU, a few days ago i had a brand new 6950, it was not what i thought it might be, so i got the 7870 and tried to hide it with the delivery of the MOBO, it didn't work :chair:

Funny how ones wife can make you feel like an 8 year old trying to work your way around your mothers will, its fun until your caught red handed.

Anyway, as long as single threaded performance and floating point is there with my Thuban i'm happy. i think its strongest selling point will be its overclockability.
That's assuming the much better power consumption also translates into less heat.

You pay for what you get, the M5A97 is a good board for its money, i will always recommend it to someone looking for a good solid board for not so much money. that's exactly what it is.

But if you want the very best, or close to it. The M5A97 is not it. you have to spend the money, there is no way around it.

Well said Frakk, well said. I am in 100% agreement with you in your statement. Love your pics as well, dat motherboard, dat cooler master, man oh man. I'd take pics of the inside of my rig but i'm way to cramped for space and it looks less than stellar. That's what you get for having a 12 year old Antec full tower case and trying to put in parts that are HUGE.

Thank's :)

Get yourself a HAF 912+, they are not that much money and honestly very good indeed :)

Back