• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New PC Build, feedback requested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfen2

Hello Everyone,

I am building a new PC and I am in need of some advice/feedback. A few of the things I would like to know are (1) if it meets all of my computing goals and (2) if I have selected the correct parts and if there are any better suggestions.

In terms of computing needs, I want to be able to Overclock the CPU to 4,5Ghz (if possible) along with OCing the GPU & RAM (in the future that is), a super fast PC for various multi-tasking requirements, able to run a 2-way SLI/Crossfire setup (in the future) along with a fully functional M2 PCIe (for my OS) and for fast encoding/rendering videos along with photo editing, streaming and other similar operations. I also plan on futher upgrading the system (at some point in the future) with more water-cooling (for a themed build), better GPU cards for 4k gaming and whatever else I might need.

Some of the things that I am unsure about are the motherboards and the PSU. Specially, which one is better for what I want to do and if there is any other better options out there that I might have missed. (That goes for the rest of the build). Also is there any way I can improve on my build and if so, how? I am already almost at my budget of 2400€

Below is the planned build and any advice, help, and/or feedback is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

Case: PHANTEKS Enthoo Primo
Water Cooling Kit: EK-KIT X240

Mothboard: MSI X99S Mpower OR MSI X99S SLI Plus
CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 4 black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2800
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix
M2 SSD (OS) Samsung SSD SM951 256GB, M.2 - PCIe
2nd SDD (storage) Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB, SATA
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 W OR EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1050 W

OS MS Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (EN)

Monitor: I have not selected one yet, as I am still looking around for something that will fit my needs.

SIDE NOTE: I am also interested in the MSI x99 SLI Krait, but I am unsure if it would be able to meet my needs for OC and if it can run a SLI and a M2 PCIe x4 without issues or downgrading the M2.

Last edited:
Looks like good choices to me but if you plan on overclocking the CPU to the max you might want to look at a water system with a bigger radiator.

Looks like good choices to me but if you plan on overclocking the CPU to the max you might want to look at a water system with a bigger radiator.

Thanks for the tip. Which radiator size would you recommend for maxing out the overclocking for the CPU? A 360, 420 or 480?

Thanks for the tip. Which radiator size would you recommend for maxing out the overclocking for the CPU? A 360, 420 or 480?

Actually, I didn't realize at first that the radiator in the kit is so thick. It should be adequate but you might also consider going with one that is thinner but has more surface area and uses three or four fans. Looks like your case might accommodate a 3x120 or maybe even a 4x120 radiator. The only reason I bring this up is that surface area trumps thickness for cooling efficiency in radiators. "Thicker" is less efficient than more surface area because with a thick radiator you are passing air that has already been warmed through the upper layers of the radiator. Does that make sense? Thick radiators may also require noisier fans in order to to make sure the air push makes it to the other side. I should think that if your space permits you might want to consider a 3 or 4 fan radiator.

I'm kind of a neophyte when it comes to water cooling myself so maybe some other more experienced water cooling dudes on the forum can weigh in on my thoughts here. I just built my first custom loop in July using a 3x120 high fin density 30mm thick radiator with push pull fans. It's cooling a 4790k overclocked to about 5 ghz and is adequate for the task. But you have a six core CPU you are trying to cool.

Here's a thread discussing this issue: http://www.overclock.net/t/1518813/radiator-thickness-vs-surface-area

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't realize at first that the radiator in the kit is so thick. It should be adequate but you might also consider going with one that is thinner but has more surface area and uses three or four fans. Looks like your case might accommodate a 3x120 or maybe even a 4x120 radiator. The only reason I bring this up is that surface area trumps thickness for cooling efficiency in radiators. "Thicker" is less efficient than more surface area because with a thick radiator you are passing air that has already been warmed through the upper layers of the radiator. Does that make sense? Thick radiators may also require noisier fans in order to to make sure the air push makes it to the other side. I should think that if your space permits you might want to consider a 3 or 4 fan radiator.

I'm kind of a neophyte when it comes to water cooling myself so maybe some other more experienced water cooling dudes on the forum can weigh in on my thoughts here. I just built my first custom loop in July using a 3x120 high fin density 30mm thick radiator with push pull fans. It's cooling a 4790k overclocked to about 5 ghz and is adequate for the task. But you have a six core CPU you are trying to cool.

Here's a thread discussing this issue: http://www.overclock.net/t/1518813/radiator-thickness-vs-surface-area

Thanks again for the information & the link. I will definately read it.

The problem with the Kits from EK (X240 & X360), is that the radiators on both are 60mm. I would love to go with their radiator that is a 480 and 38mm thickness. However that doesn't come with the kit. I know I can buy, but it seems a little silly to just buy that at this point. I will want to get one, but maybe in 6 months or so and once I get a SLI setup. I am also going to change out my 970 for a 980ti (assuming I can get the extra 300€)

What I was thinking that I might do is keep the 240 rad and use it for my CPU for now. Once I upgrade and get a 2nd 980ti, go with a SLI setup and use the 240 as a stand-alone for the GPUs. Buy a new Kit/parts for the CPU and use a 480, 37mm thickness rad. That is what I am thinking and it would also allow me a 2 color theme for whatever build I go with. The only question that I would like to know is, whether it would work or not. I really want to overclock my CPU to at least 4.5Ghz (if not more) from 3.3Ghz and have it quiet and cool.

Back